I'm thinking about taking advantage of the new ATT GoPhone unlimited talk/text package but I have a question first. I would like to use Yahoo messenger and am wondering exactly how that works. I know with ATT the IMs are counted as text but can I stay logged into messenger all the time or will it charge me for data use?
    10-14-09 02:09 PM
    If you use the RIM Yahoo messenger app then it uses data
    10-14-09 02:23 PM
    You can stay logged in all the time and Yahoo IM uses data, not text. All the IM applications now use data...
    10-14-09 02:23 PM
    I thought you could send IMs back and forth and it used text...when did it change?
    10-14-09 02:29 PM
    I thought you could send IMs back and forth and it used text...when did it change?
    Some time ago you had a choice if you wanted the IM's to use data or text. At least with the big IM's Gtalk, Yahoo, WLM, AIM. They all use data now...
    10-14-09 02:34 PM
    So I'm talking to an ATT rep online right now and this is what she says,

Tyra: I would like to use yahoo messenger on my phone. i know it will charge me for data use to download it but once its downloaded and i sign on do the messages i send count as data or text messages?

Jessica A.: IMs are considered text messaging.

And here is a link she sent me stating that IMs are considered text

I'm just super confused. One day they say text and the next they say data.
    10-14-09 03:21 PM
    If you use the Yahoo Blackberry app it only uses data, not text. Text messaging is disabled on our business accounts and Yahoo works fine.
    10-14-09 03:52 PM
    So just use the regular Yahoo mobile and I should be okay and it will be charged as text?
    10-14-09 03:57 PM
    I think your ATT rep is misinformed about Yahoo Messenger on a Blackberry.
    10-14-09 04:03 PM
    Yahoo Messenger relies on data. SMS is a separate service, and will require you to have data services on your GoPhone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-14-09 04:21 PM
    I think your ATT rep is misinformed about Yahoo Messenger on a Blackberry.
    Imagine that. Why is it so hard to get the correct answer? Maybe I'm not asking it right!?
    10-14-09 04:26 PM
    Many carrier reps come here while you're on the phone with them, so they can try to figure out the issues you're having...
    10-14-09 04:28 PM
    You mean carrier reps come to crackberry.com for info?
    10-14-09 04:31 PM
    You mean carrier reps come to crackberry.com for info?
    Yes, many do. RIM, who makes the BlackBerry is here getting feedback from people all the time as well...
    10-14-09 04:32 PM
    That's neat. Wonder why the 20 reps I've talked to online and over the phone haven't given me any answer other than YES, you CAN do yahoo messenger with unlimited text.
    10-14-09 04:34 PM
    That's neat. Wonder why the 20 reps I've talked to online and over the phone haven't given me any answer other than YES, you CAN do yahoo messenger with unlimited text.
    That's why you need to come here when you're having an issue, there is also over a million members here. You usually will get help quickly and it's legit information. I haven't called CS for an issue in almost 2 years, I come here...
    10-14-09 04:42 PM
    So just use the regular Yahoo mobile and I should be okay and it will be charged as text?
    I think I found the reason for your confusion. Yahoo Messenger and Yahoo MOBILE Messenger are two different things really. I have YIM on my computer and I have synched it to my phone, which is the MOBILE service you are referring too. I do not have a data plan on my current phone (switching to blackberry next week yay!) and I do not get charged anything but for SMS text messages for the yahoo MOBILE messages I send and receive.
    So basically, the short of it is....Yahoo Mobile Messages = SMS text rates
    Yahoo Instant Messenger App (using the internet to send and receive messages to your contacts) = data rates

Hope this helps
    11-04-09 12:05 AM
    I have use yahoo messenger though the IM server (thats the one you log onto kinda like the normal desktop IM) I think thats data usagae.You have to have a data plan to use this way and the IM messenger downloaded on your phone if its not already.

Yahoo messsenger also has a service that you can messages just using SmS text and its received like all SmS text so its is SmS text.I currently use thou SmS text messaging personally (unlimited txt plan) So this way I have no IM program downloaded on my phone.

To sum up it depends on which yahoo service you are using .
    the data messages are all in the Yahoo IM messages
    the SmS text are just like normal text messages and are received though the Text messages folder, hope I didnt confuse you to much and maybe someone can explain it better
    Last edited by DavidNC; 11-04-09 at 08:22 AM. Reason: added stuff
    11-04-09 08:08 AM
    I think I found the reason for your confusion. Yahoo Messenger and Yahoo MOBILE Messenger are two different things really. I have YIM on my computer and I have synched it to my phone, which is the MOBILE service you are referring too. I do not have a data plan on my current phone (switching to blackberry next week yay!) and I do not get charged anything but for SMS text messages for the yahoo MOBILE messages I send and receive.
    So basically, the short of it is....Yahoo Mobile Messages = SMS text rates
    Yahoo Instant Messenger App (using the internet to send and receive messages to your contacts) = data rates

Hope this helps
    I have use yahoo messenger though the IM server (thats the one you log onto kinda like the normal desktop IM) I think thats data usagae.You have to have a data plan to use this way and the IM messenger downloaded on your phone if its not already.

Yahoo messsenger also has a service that you can messages just using SmS text and its received like all SmS text so its is SmS text.I currently use thou SmS text messaging personally (unlimited txt plan) So this way I have no IM program downloaded on my phone.

To sum up it depends on which yahoo service you are using .
    the data messages are all in the Yahoo IM messages
    the SmS text are just like normal text messages and are received though the Text messages folder, hope I didnt confuse you to much and maybe someone can explain it better

Thank you both so much! That helps tremendously!

NOW...how do I go about getting the yahoo mobile (for SmS texts) to my blackberry without data?
    11-05-09 02:13 PM
    okay I figured out how to get yahoo mobile and I got a text saying who was online but is there a way for me to send someone a message or do i have to wait till they send me one?
    11-05-09 03:08 PM
    okay I figured out how to get yahoo mobile and I got a text saying who was online but is there a way for me to send someone a message or do i have to wait till they send me one?
    Are you only available to use Yahoo? If you use AOL instant messenger, you can send texts to people with AIM and vice versa.

My wife has a storm2 and I use an iphone. She has unlimited texts to Verizon phones and I have unlimited texts for everyone. What she did was to log into AIM and then sent me an IM to my cell phone # (remember to start with +1 and area code). I then received a request in the form of a text, asking to accept her request. Once I did, we are now able to text each other with her using AIM (only using data) and me using texts. This save us money and works for us. I don't know for sure if Yahoo offers anything similar.

Good luck!
    11-05-09 03:23 PM
    I usually just save a message that i receive from someone or put that yahoo text number in your call directory (or yes wait for them to send you one first will work as well)yahoo number will be visible when you reply usally starts with a (92466xxx)for example with other digits being where the 3 x's are in this example.
    PS:
    I think though you can use the name you see that are on line if you send their user name with @yahoo.com after the user name then when they retuen SmS message it will have the numbers instead of user name ( hope I didnt confuse ya)
    Last edited by DavidNC; 11-09-09 at 05:17 AM. Reason: PS added
    11-09-09 05:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD