hey everyone...i currently use yahoo email and i like it but i'm wondering if gmail is better. how does google sync work? who has used both and which one do you prefer? also is there a way to import birthdays and anniversaries that i have in my contacts into my calendar without having to do it one by one. thanks in advance
    Last edited by MBM7881; 07-15-10 at 12:51 PM.
    07-15-10 12:27 PM
    One big advantage I've noticed with gmail vs yahoomail is gmail's spam blocker. I get tons of spam into my inbox with my yahoo account (so much that it's not linked to my BlackBerry) but I maybe get one or three a month that makes it past the gmail spam blocker.
    Im not sure if google sync imports your BlackBerry calendar entrees into your google calendar, I've never bothered with that cuz I don't use google calendar.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-15-10 01:22 PM
    Google Sync won't import your existing calendar into Gmail. For that you have to export/import. It works on any new entries. It also syncs your contacts nicely.
    07-15-10 02:48 PM
    i figured it out with some more and super long research...i first input my info on my yahoo calendar then synced it through DM! worked like a charm!!! thanks everyone
    07-15-10 03:07 PM
    But gmail from my old test lacks folders and is not as good an email program. Tags are not as useful. I realize this is a computer based matter for the Berry does not show folders.
    B B

07-16-10 06:49 AM
    But gmail from my old test lacks folders and is not as good an email program. Tags are not as useful. I realize this is a computer based matter for the Berry does not show folders.
    B B

Gmail uses "labels" instead of folders for organizing mail. It is a bit different than you're probably used to, but frankly, once you've gotten used to Gmail, you'll never want to go back to anything else. Conversation grouping is fantastic, and the beauty of labels over folder is that you can assign multiple labels to a single message, which can make searching for items later a lot easier.

To the OP, I recommend at least giving GMail a try. If you like it, you can even have your Yahoo! mail delivered right into your Gmail box, so it's not even that hard to transition.
    07-16-10 07:11 AM
    Gmail uses "labels" instead of folders for organizing mail. It is a bit different than you're probably used to, but frankly, once you've gotten used to Gmail, you'll never want to go back to anything else. Conversation grouping is fantastic, and the beauty of labels over folder is that you can assign multiple labels to a single message, which can make searching for items later a lot easier.

To the OP, I recommend at least giving GMail a try. If you like it, you can even have your Yahoo! mail delivered right into your Gmail box, so it's not even that hard to transition.
    I do admit it's an matter of personal preference. As a Lotus Notes user I do like folders, so I can easily see all e-mails on a given matter. Folders combined with Y!'s very fast search process (that searches text as well as address fields) shows me anything I need very quickly.

Hey Pete, do you prefer oil- and latex-based paints for imbibing? :-)B B
    07-16-10 11:50 AM
    I do admit it's an matter of personal preference. As a Lotus Notes user I do like folders, so I can easily see all e-mails on a given matter. Folders combined with Y!'s very fast search process (that searches text as well as address fields) shows me anything I need very quickly.

Hey Pete, do you prefer oil- and latex-based paints for imbibing? :-)B B
    Well, I'm not trying to sell GMail or anything, since it is personal preference (and it really makes no difference to me), but you can basically do the same thing with GMail's labels...just click on a label and view all messages that fall under it. At first I have to admit it took me a while to get used to "labeling" messages as opposed to moving them into folders, but once you get the hang of it, it really does work very well.

I can also assure you that GMail's search features are second to none as well. Better than Yahoo? I don't know, but at the very least it's just as good.

Oil-based all the way...I think I've developed an allergy to latex!
    07-16-10 12:35 PM
    Once you have labeled an e-mail, does it leave your in-box? Can you see those e-mails via the berry by selecting View Files (I know you cannot see the Y! files.)

Thanks and I would have thought oil-based in the way to go.

Blazor Boy
    07-16-10 01:00 PM
    Once you have labeled an e-mail, does it leave your in-box?
    It's up to you! You can leave it in your inbox or archive it, either way, it will still show up when you view the corresponding label.

Can you see those e-mails via the berry by selecting View Files* (I know you cannot see the Y! files.)

Thanks and I would have thought oil-based in the way to go.

Blazor Boy
    As long as the message has been delivered to the Blackberry, then yes, you can filter* the Gmail folder to view any label (and/or as many labels) as you'd like.

*different terminology, same basic result
    07-16-10 01:11 PM
    theres a way to use gmail as a spam filter for your yahoo mail on your bb....search the forums it will tell you how to do it. Thats what I do, and still use my yahoo email address. works great, and like one of the other posters stated, once in awhile, one might sneak through, but not too often
    07-16-10 02:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD