Im a BB newbie - abt 2 weeks with my new 8900 and loving it.
    Quiet annoyingly the Yahoo messenger and Gtalk clients did not accept special charecters like @ & * etc.,
    had to go back to both those accounts to change the passwords to not contain any of these and it works !!
    v surprising that a simple thing like this has been left out in overall design [either the software or the firmware/OS]but hey, its too simple to overlook.

Searched the forums, dint find any related links and thought will post this for others should they hit any trouble.

My 2 cents to atleast the new ones like me
    02-06-09 03:39 AM
    for some reason the Yahoo app slow my phone up?
    02-06-09 03:40 AM
    I don't believe it is RIM/Blackberry's fault that some programmer decided to do something, or they were told to program their apps to no accept certain special characters... I'd be complaining to Y!Msngr and GTalk.
    02-06-09 05:58 AM
    I don't believe it is RIM/Blackberry's fault that some programmer decided to do something, or they were told to program their apps to no accept certain special characters... I'd be complaining to Y!Msngr and GTalk.
    Disagree and I think its the app that's the prob. Work around is to ensure what's acceptable. Surprisingly twitterberry also isn't taking special chars!!! I'm begining to wonder if its a network issue in terms of carrying data in a diff way!!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-06-09 10:29 AM
    Disagree and I think its the app that's the prob. Work around is to ensure what's acceptable. Surprisingly twitterberry also isn't taking special chars!!! I'm begining to wonder if its a network issue in terms of carrying data in a diff way!!!!

I'm not following what you are saying. Are you disagreeing and saying that you think it is RIM's to blame here?

I agree with fatboy that this falls on the developer of the application. For one thing if the special characters specifically are an issue then there are methods the developer can use to convert the special characters to something else before transferring the data over the network. On top of this I have additional accounts that I use for chat which have passwords with special characters in them and they work just fine when I use BeeJive.
    02-06-09 10:43 AM
    I'm not following what you are saying. Are you disagreeing and saying that you think it is RIM's to blame here?

I agree with fatboy that this falls on the developer of the application. For one thing if the special characters specifically are an issue then there are methods the developer can use to convert the special characters to something else before transferring the data over the network. On top of this I have additional accounts that I use for chat which have passwords with special characters in them and they work just fine when I use BeeJive.
    No I'm not saying rim is an issue. I'm sounding off tho see if others have similar problrms and if its a data carried over a network which is a issue or if there is an isuue with how the app reacts.strongly feel it may be network too cos u are able to use those chars. I rechecked after changing passwords back. Gtalk worked but yahoo and twitter dint. V intriguing although trivial

02-06-09 11:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD