So I finally decided to put weather bug on my storm yesterday, and today I noticed my battery drained super fast with very moderate use. Anyways my question is what the frick is this all about and has anyone else had the same problem? Any help would be much appreciated.
    01-14-09 10:55 PM
    I noticed this way back in the earlier beta days, along with plenty of others, and subsequently dumped the program. Doesn't really seem to be anything that can be done about it, it's just a CPU hog that in turn drains the battery. It also seems to slow the phone down in general in my experience.

Still, I was just thinking about maybe giving it another try, since the last time I used it was back around .1xx... So you saved me the hassle, thanks.
    01-14-09 11:14 PM
    I've been running weatherbug with each latest version since I bought my storm 7 1/2 weeks ago without any problems. The only problem I saw was a java error the first time I installed the app but that went away with a battery pull. As for the program being a memory and battery hog, I have posted in other threads like this that I did a substantial test and didn't see any problems. I ran the program for one week with location on and 15 minute updates for a week and I ran it the following week with location off and 15 minute updates. I performed similar actions with the storm for both weeks to the best of my ability and also started each day with a fully charged battery. What I noticed was that whether the location was on or off I got about the same amount of memory and battery each day. At the end of each day, I had at least 3 full bars of battery. I was able to use my storm for almost 4 days before I had to do a battery pull. But like I said in similar threads, each user experiences apps differently depending on many variables that are both controllable and uncontrollable. Another thing to remember is that some users have been experiencing battery problems with the three latest leaked betas.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-14-09 11:28 PM
    But did you then test your Storm WITHOUT Weatherbug running and see what your battery levels were like after a day?
    01-15-09 01:00 AM
    I've tried about three different versions with the same battery problem every time. Battery will drain about 80% overnight. I'll keep trying new versions in the hope that they sort this as it seems a good app apart from that.
    01-15-09 01:24 AM
    Running WB .274, location on, 1/2 hour updates, no real battery drain issues, get 2-2 1/2 days between charges with moderate use.
    01-15-09 01:38 AM
    At the end of each day, I had at least 3 full bars of battery.

Wow, at the end of my 1 hour train ride to work I have 3 full bars. I'm down to 1 bar by lunch! I hardly even use the phone, lol. Im taking this thing back to verizon and getting me a LG Voyager.
    01-15-09 05:36 AM
    Running WB .274, location on, 1/2 hour updates, no real battery drain issues, get 2-2 1/2 days between charges with moderate use.
    Same settings with WB and no battery issues. My problem is people want to play with my storm and that eats up my battery.
    01-15-09 06:57 AM
    Wow, at the end of my 1 hour train ride to work I have 3 full bars. I'm down to 1 bar by lunch! I hardly even use the phone, lol. Im taking this thing back to verizon and getting me a LG Voyager.
    Good move Bro. the Voyager is SWEEET. oh wait, not its not, it actually sucks.
    01-15-09 08:24 AM
    I had a Voyager. remember, not a Smart Phone. Battery will be slightly better the Storm. Good phone, but it definitely has some quirks to it.
    01-15-09 01:19 PM
    enjoy your voyager
    01-15-09 01:22 PM
    Tried to get WB to install 3 times. Dowloads to Storm, does hard reset. BWB icon appears on main screen. Click icon - - nada. Enable GPS - nada- enable all permissions - nada. Clear logs and do a battery pull - nada.

Does this need BB maps to operate? I did not install maps as I have a GPS. I thought it was an either/or you need to use the phone's GPS or BB maps, not both. Anyone running WB who specifically did not install BB maps when loading the OS?
    01-15-09 01:25 PM
    Tried to get WB to install 3 times. Dowloads to Storm, does hard reset. BWB icon appears on main screen. Click icon - - nada. Enable GPS - nada- enable all permissions - nada. Clear logs and do a battery pull - nada.

Does this need BB maps to operate? I did not install maps as I have a GPS. I thought it was an either/or you need to use the phone's GPS or BB maps, not both. Anyone running WB who specifically did not install BB maps when loading the OS?
    Yes, it needs BB Maps.
    01-15-09 01:29 PM
    The only problem I had with WB was when I tried to install it the first few times. The BB menu wouldn't appear while the app was selected.

For people whose batteries keep draining, how often does WB check for new weather reports?
    01-15-09 03:27 PM
    Im taking this thing back to verizon and getting me a LG Voyager.

Have fun with your Voyager... I will be sticking with my storm.
    01-15-09 03:54 PM
    But did you then test your Storm WITHOUT Weatherbug running and see what your battery levels were like after a day?
    Yes, I tested it for a week without weatherbug installed and also performed almost the same daily conditions and my battery level was about the same (3 to 3 1/2 bars). So I think it partly has to do with the other apps users have installed or what they are using the bb for.

01-15-09 04:01 PM
    do you really need "my location" Instead save your home zip code and your office zip code. I disabled the GPS function about a week ago and have seen a dramatic improvement on the battery and the memory usage. I have 8-10 cities saved and it is set to update hourly. I have no issues at all!
    01-15-09 04:20 PM
    do you really need "my location" Instead save your home zip code and your office zip code. I disabled the GPS function about a week ago and have seen a dramatic improvement on the battery and the memory usage. I have 8-10 cities saved and it is set to update hourly. I have no issues at all!
    I have mine off too and only turn it on when I am traveling. I have a number of locations saved into mine too but I rather use the "my location" feature instead of scrolling back and forth between locations if I know that I'm going to a number of different locations for the day. But I think that is the only thing it's good for except that it lets you get the weather for a location once you reach your saved location limit. Also since you said that disabling gps has improved your battery and memory shows that everyone experiences different results using this app because I said in an earlier post that whether I have it on or off it doesn't impact my battery or memory.

01-15-09 04:58 PM
    Okay, so I downloaded this app but it won't open. I see it in the downloads folder, I can highlight it, but nothing happens when I click on it. Any ideas?
    01-15-09 05:01 PM
    I too have "my location" off (added a loc by zipcode) and gps usually set for E911 only. WB is set to update every 30 mins. My battery lasts almost two days, however I do also have my BB set to shut off at 11pm and turn on at 7am.

I purposedly set my storm this way because all the battery life complaints I read before I got it seemed to be directly related to gps location access. Everything I've read since then seems to bear this out. I'll turn on the gps if/when I want to use a gps app, but otherwise I don't need it.
    01-15-09 05:06 PM
    Okay, so I downloaded this app but it won't open. I see it in the downloads folder, I can highlight it, but nothing happens when I click on it. Any ideas?
    Reinstall BB Maps.
    01-15-09 05:24 PM
    Reinstall BB Maps.
    Thanks a ton! You rock
    01-16-09 08:57 AM
    I installed it a few days ago. Battery drain doesn't seem to be a huge issue.

But man, is this thing SLOW. Click the BB button, and it takes SECONDS for the menu to come up. Same with clicking most buttons for the viewing options. I have MyLocation turned off, updating every 30 minutes.

And it may or may not be responsible for my phone in general seeming to slow down.....
    01-16-09 09:03 AM
    Had this app and really liked how it updated according to were I was and had good graphics. But had to delete it cause it ate up all my memory.
    01-16-09 09:15 AM
    Im Having The Same Battery Problems. Im Noticing That The Problem Reoccurs After Plugging In My Stock Head Phones. Not Only Does The Battery Drain Super Fast (within 5 Hours Or So) But When I Receive Or Send Calls They Cant Hear Me On The Other End. I Have To Pull My Battery Everytime To Fix This Problem. So Freaking Annoying! And I Stress This Only Occurs After Using The Head Phones.
    02-11-09 10:49 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD