I'm in the process of switching from my trusty Palm TX to a new BB Curve 8320 (and loving it) from T-Mobile, but there are several apps I'll have to find replacements for since there isn't a BB version available. Talking with a software developer from one of these companies, he indicated that writing for the BB platform was much harder then for Windows Mobile 6, which is why the bulk of the companies that had been writing Palm-based applications are switching to the Windows Mobile 6 platform versus BB. He also felt that many developers would write for the yet-to-be-released iPhone API before BB and considered that to the current reason for the relative shortage of BB-based apps.

Is writing software applications for the BB that much harder or are there other issues such as cost, licensing, etc..? Do you think there are enough choices in each category for 3rd-party BB apps?
    01-18-08 03:43 PM
    I'm looking into writing software for my BB. I've been programming for over 20 years and looking for a new challenge. I've only just started researching into this, but I was under the impression that BB uses the Java language. I'm in the process right now of finding some useful AVI's.
    07-23-08 09:08 AM
    I'm looking into writing software for my BB. I've been programming for over 20 years and looking for a new challenge. I've only just started researching into this, but I was under the impression that BB uses the Java language. I'm in the process right now of finding some useful AVI's.
    BB uses a variant of Java for their own API, but the newer Blackberrys especially can easily run standard MIDP (Java ME or J2ME). So anything Java you write for Windows Mobile or Symbian would thearetically also run in BBs. The Voizpod mobile app is 100% Java MIDP/CLDC and it works fine in my Blackberry (as well as Symbian). All the Google apps are also MIDP-based (at least based on the fact they use JAD files).
    07-23-08 10:00 AM
    Coming from a Java(JEE) background, developing for the BlackBerry wasn't that difficult for me, but getting used to a non-web platform was the bigger challenge. I was so accustomed to Spring, Struts, Hibernate and all that web stuff, i had to change my thinking a bit.

I've also looked into iPhone development. Getting used to Objective C was was a task, but after a while i've grown to really enjoy it. And interface builder is nice as well.
    07-23-08 02:28 PM
    Coming from a Java(JEE) background, developing for the BlackBerry wasn't that difficult for me, but getting used to a non-web platform was the bigger challenge. I was so accustomed to Spring, Struts, Hibernate and all that web stuff, i had to change my thinking a bit.
    I also came from a JEE web background, servlets and JSP only though...I think coding for pervasive devices is quite refreshing when compared to webapps. But also more frustrating. For webapps, if there is a problem, you can work on the server end and fix it so that everyone immediately sees the results. In client programs, the need for distribution slows down the patch cycle.
    07-23-08 03:03 PM
    BB uses a variant of Java for their own API, but the newer Blackberrys especially can easily run standard MIDP (Java ME or J2ME). So anything Java you write for Windows Mobile or Symbian would thearetically also run in BBs. The Voizpod mobile app is 100% Java MIDP/CLDC and it works fine in my Blackberry (as well as Symbian). All the Google apps are also MIDP-based (at least based on the fact they use JAD files).
    What are jad files? When I try to download OTA, a box comes up asking me to open or save a jad file... I don't know anything about them. Please Help!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-23-08 07:14 PM
    What are jad files? When I try to download OTA, a box comes up asking me to open or save a jad file... I don't know anything about them. Please Help!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    A JAD file is simply a text file that tells your blackberry what kind of application is going to be downloaded. That is, what kind of environment does the application need. If the Blackberry is missing some feature that is required, then it'll probably refuse to download the actual application. I usually save and open the files.

Here's an example, the Voizpod jad file:

MIDlet-1: Voizpod,/res/main_logo.png,voizpod.main.VoizpodMidlet
    MIDlet-Jar-Size: 49453
    MIDlet-Jar-URL: Voizpod.jar
    MIDlet-Name: Voizpod
    MIDlet-Vendor: Life 2.0 LLC
    MIDlet-Version: 1.0
    MicroEdition-Configuration: CLDC-1.0
    MicroEdition-Profile: MIDP-2.0

This gives the name of the app, the download size, the location of the actual executable, the producer of the app, and what environment is needed for the app.
    07-23-08 07:33 PM
    I also came from a JEE web background, servlets and JSP only though...I think coding for pervasive devices is quite refreshing when compared to webapps. But also more frustrating. For webapps, if there is a problem, you can work on the server end and fix it so that everyone immediately sees the results. In client programs, the need for distribution slows down the patch cycle.
    Yes i do enjoy developing for devices over webapps. It just feels new. But i do agree, a bug in a web app is not as big of a deal, a simple hotfix overnight and the problem is gone. I guess this teaches us to make rock solid software heh.
    07-23-08 08:25 PM
    Hello All,

Where do I start to learn about coding for my Blackberry phone?
    04-10-10 08:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD