I saw a post similar to this in the Storm app section, but as a Curve user, I thought it was necessary to post to the non-Storm population. Just wondering if anyone has heard any updates/rumours on the possibility of a native wine application for BlackBerry.

The two apps (for iPhone) for which I would especially like to see a BlackBerry version of are the Wine Enthusiast Guide and Drync Wine. I have been following this topic for a while (on a few wine forums, and here), and it seems that there are a few "under development", but nothing available yet.

The features I would like to see are reviews, recommendations, and wishlists. And by reviews, and similar to how some of the iPhone apps work, I mean user reviews. I believe it is Drync Wine that pulls review information from a few free wine forums, such as Snooth.com, and therefore claims to present unbiased reviews.

Anyone heard any possibilities?
    Last edited by robr21; 04-07-09 at 09:49 AM. Reason: subscribe
    04-06-09 02:59 PM
    I would love to know as well.
    04-06-09 03:58 PM
    I as well.

Thanks!
    05-02-09 02:31 AM
    I'm bumping this up because I've been looking for something like this for some time.

Has anyone heard anything about a wine review database app for BBs?
    10-06-09 01:29 PM
    I'd be interested too.
    10-06-09 01:32 PM
    Well, now that you've bumped it back up, here's a little update on some of the research I've been doing.

I did contact one of the developers at Drync Wine (makers of the iPhone app). Their response was that in the "near-distant future" they would be building a BlackBerry compatible version of the app. My interpretation: it's on their idea table, but not a current priority.

Another source I have bugging is Eric LeVine, founder of CellarTracker.com, which is an excellent wine inventory management program (and one I currently use). They have not yet responded, but I have heard that they are considering the opportunities with developing a BB app. Especially considering that there are currently no alternatives available.

Another source that I know is considering developing a BB app is Snooth.com. They have recently released their iPhone app, and are working on a BB version. Hopefully, this will be released in the not-so-distant future.

If anyone has any other news, please post it here.
    10-06-09 01:59 PM
    Hope something comes along soon!
    10-06-09 02:02 PM
    Sometime ago on another blog I read abt a wine app but never tried it out. Anyhow, here's the link to the site, not sure if it's any good though... (Feel free to post back reports)

R-Vintage

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-06-09 02:09 PM
    I did try this R-Vintage not too long ago, but was quite disappointed. R-Vintage only shows a vintage (year) and a region, and then tells you what general quality you're looking at. Seems awfully prejudiced, and it only includes major wine producing regions (Italy, France, Australia, California) and overlooks many smaller/less popular wine regions (i.e. BC's Okanagan Valley). Additionally, I can't imagine that all Napa Valley red wines from 2006 would taste the same.

I think what we're looking for here is an application that has wine reviews by specific wine (type, name, winery, vintage) and cellar management capabilities.
    10-06-09 02:37 PM
    Did a little bit of follow-up today, and found that Cor.kz is possibly developing a BB version of their app (currently for iPhone).

Currently, Cor.kz iPhone version integrates with CellarTracker.com to provide wine review and cellar management software in one. I have emailed them to try to get a confirmation, so I'll let you guys know when I hear back from them.
    10-06-09 03:15 PM
    Just got a couple of emails confirming this from Eric LeVine (CellarTrack founder) and from Cor.kz. Apparently the app was scheduled to have been released already, but they have hit a couple of difficulties with the code. They want the app to be perfect when they do release it for BB so they are holding back the release until they get it right.

I'll post a follow-up here when it is released. Good to see someone has finally listened to BB users. Hoorah.
    10-06-09 04:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD