Kind of curious to find out because I was playing with one of my friends G1 (lower grade phone if you ask me), and it had facebook chat, and you could basically view it just like you would on the net

Anybody with the Storm currently know if you can do this, or if you'll be able to in the future?
    11-15-08 01:04 PM
    i'm curious about this too, i have it on my iphone and i like it. in fact the facebook app on the iphone is awesome
    11-15-08 01:11 PM
    Oh forreal? So the iphone has facebook chat enabled?
    11-16-08 12:42 PM
    i'm curious about this too, i have it on my iphone and i like it. in fact the facebook app on the iphone is awesome
    How is that so?
    11-16-08 12:46 PM
    How is that so?
    Im curious as well. Definetely one application I'll be neeeeeeding for my storm
    11-16-08 12:48 PM
    How is that so?
    works just like iphones AIM client kind of. on the app there is a tab that says 'chat' and shows all online active/inactive buddies that you can then shoot IMs too.

i've only used it on my ipod touch via wifi so I don't use it that often
    11-16-08 12:49 PM
    The Facebook app is fantastic. It has a tab for chat and displays all my online friends. I can then select a person, and it opens a new tab and I can have a conversation with them.
    Yea I don't own an iphone but my 2 friends have one and imo the facebook app on the iphone is very well designed and yes it does have facebook chat on it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    So will it be featured on the Storm the same way?
    11-16-08 12:51 PM
    So will it be featured on the Storm the same way?
    I hope so. And I hope it looks as good as the iPhone one does too, since it's my most used app. I would really like someone to post pics from the actual app!
    11-16-08 12:54 PM
    I agree Paa

I use facebook a LOT. Between that and blackberry messenger
    11-16-08 12:56 PM
    Has anyone figured this out?
    11-20-08 12:08 PM
    I know that CB posted a FB upgrade for BB coming soon and I am pretty sure that I read the current FB app coming with the storm is easy to upload pics with, but I am not sure I have read anything confirming the chat option one way or the other.
    11-20-08 12:18 PM
    From what I understand, it will not be included in the Facebook update coming in January. It could possibly come in Facebook 2.0 scheduled later on in 2009 sometime. I believe the Facebook app for the iPhone is 2.0 but I can't confirm since I don't have one. I got this info from the 9530 thread at HoFo.
    11-20-08 12:21 PM
    The thing to remember about the iPhone though is that you can't have multiple applications running at the same time. So in order to chat with someone on facebook chat, you can only have that app open. Don't even think about trying to open anything else and staying logged into facebook chat. It won't work.
    11-20-08 12:22 PM
    On the Storm I used, I DIDN'T see the chat option available. Which was pretty disappointing to me for sure.

Also, I got to facebook using facebook.com, not the app you can go to right away. I'm not sure if this makes a difference. And also, I hear you can use the browser to where sites recognize mobile, internet explorer, or firefox, and I'm not sure which one I was using. It wasn't the mobile though, that's for sure. Not sure if this makes a difference either though.......
    11-20-08 12:27 PM
    Facebook chat will not be enabled with the Storm. It will be the same v1.2 that is currently available.

Even the v1.5 that's slated to come out later won't have chat.

You have to understand the fundamental difference between the iphone FB app and the BB FB app.

iPhone FB: designed by Facebook
    BB FB: designed by RIM

Why is this a factor? Facebook has not released a public API for their chat protocol and therefore no 3rd parties will have access to chat until that happens.

I have an ipod touch and the iphone FB app is light years ahead of what the BB FB app in terms of functionality. Chat is one of them, another is that it displays your updated News Feed, just like if you were to log into FB on a computer.
    Last edited by KINetics; 11-20-08 at 12:41 PM.
    11-20-08 12:31 PM
    Damn shame. Hope we get the chat soon.
    11-20-08 12:38 PM
    Facebook chat will not be enabled with the Storm. It will be the same v1.2 that is currently available.

Even the v1.5 that's slated to come out later won't have chat.

You have to understand the fundamental difference between the iphone FB app and the BB FB app.

iPhone FB: designed by Facebook
    BB FB: designed by RIM

Why is this a factor? Facebook has not released a public API for their chat protocol and therefore no 3rd parties will have access to chat until that happens.

I have an ipod touch and the iphone FB app is light years ahead of what the BB FB app in terms of functionality. Chat is one of them, another is that it displays your updated News Feed, just like if you were to log into FB on a computer.
    That's very disappointing. Your also saying no updated news feed? That blows.
    11-20-08 12:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD