I'm not sure where to best post this question, so I'm going to start here. I'm using a BlackBerry Torch 9810 and an Acer netbook running Windows 7 Home Edition, with Google Chrome.

I'm trying to use the WiFi File Transfer app, which I used successfully on my Bold, then began to have issues when I switched to my first Torch 9800. It started to work only sporadically. I'm not sure if it was because of the new Torch, or because I also started using it with my new netbook. I don't think I had any problems trying to use it with my Dell laptop, running Vista.

What happens is that is works ONE time, then stops working (browser page tells me it cannot connect to the IP address). So, eventually I give up for several months...then several months later when I think of it and try it again, it will work one time again. Does anyone know why? I've even gone to the app developer to see what could be wrong and he is stumped. Could this be a Windows 7 issue?? I've tried several browsers (Chrome, Safari, Firefox, etc.) to no avail.

If anyone has any ideas, I would be so happy to hear them!!
    10-14-11 11:40 AM
    Did you set up your Win 7 computers IP addrs as a static one? How about your phone? If your router is rotating IP's, that could be the problem.
    10-14-11 06:47 PM
    I don't know how to do this! I'm definitely not technologically-challenged in any way, just don't know much at all about routers and such. If you might be so kind to maybe be able to provide a link with instructions? Thank you so much! I think this could be the issue - though would it really change IP addresses so often? It's only a matter of closing the browser and re-opening it and I can't get back on (connected).

Did you set up your Win 7 computers IP addrs as a static one? How about your phone? If your router is rotating IP's, that could be the problem.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-15-11 12:26 AM
    you could always use dropbox for file transfer. its what i use across my desktop, laptop and my BB.
    10-15-11 12:33 AM
    I do use Dropbox! But the BB app doesn't allow you to save the file directly from DB to your BB, so I have to email a download link for each file. WiFi File Transfer is so much easier!! I have full access to my entire BB file library from my computer. And JeeoSuite is great, too, but same deal...not working.

10-15-11 12:36 AM
    I apologize for taking so long to answer. It's been a long week...anyway.
    This link should be easy to use: Setting a Static IP Address in Windows 7 - PortForward.com
    I don't use win7 because of admin issues - it's like you're locked out of what you paid for.
    Which wireless router do you use?
    10-26-11 02:57 PM
    Thank you so much for answering and giving me that link - I followed the instructions and set up a static IP...however, the problem still exists (it worked ONE time again, as usual, and now I can't get back in/connected). I'm so beyond annoyed with this. I just want to know WHY it's not working - even if it never works again, or isn't compatible for some reason, it would be WONDERFUL just to know WHY!! And why would it work ONE TIME and then stop??

Anyone? I will personally crown the person who solves this as the technological genius of my lifetime!!

Rachel
    11-04-11 12:12 AM
    Wi-fi is a little trickier to troubleshoot than wired connections... just to get some facts straight. When you had the Bold, everything worked fine. Moving to the 9800 and now the 9810, along with Windows 7 is when you started experiencing this problem?

Some things to do to help figure this out... what is the IP address you gave the computer? What's the IP address given to the phone? You can find out the latter by doing the following on the phone "Manage Connections" > Wi-Fi Network > scroll to the connected Wi-Fi network > BB button > Troubleshoot

From there go into Diagnostics and look under local IP address. What does it say there?
    11-04-11 07:10 PM
    Oops, I mistakenly wrote that I am using Windows 7 Home Edition, when in fact I am actually using Windows 7 Starter edition - does this make a difference? It seems to a Windows 7 limitation problem, being that I don't have this issue on my desktop (Windows XP), or my laptop (Vista); however, I really don't use those computers, which is why I'm so desperate to get this working on my netbook again!

To answer your question, I believe it WAS working for a while on the netbook, then suddenly stopped, and I'm not sure if it happened at the exact time I switched from the Bold to the Torch, but I think it was before that (when I still had the Bold).

I have the IP addresses for my BlackBerry and my netbook, as well as my router - but not sure how this helps...?

What's really stumping me is why the app works seamlessly ONE time, then stops...why wouldn't it either work, or not work at ALL???

Thank you so much for responding!! Any suggestions from here? Greatly appreciated!
    11-06-11 03:27 PM
    Well now that you have the IP addresses for your netbook and BlackBerry, you want to first see if they can both see your router properly by using a ping. You can use the ping option on the BlackBerry under the Troubleshoot section for wi-fi mentioned above and put in the IP address of the router. If the ping is successful, go onto the netbook and open up a "Command Prompt" and issue "ping <IP address of router>" and see if you get a response there. If that's successful, try and ping the netbook from the BlackBerry and vice versa.
    11-06-11 04:47 PM
    All pings were successful...still trying to find a solution to this problem!! SOOOO frustrated!
    12-29-11 02:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD