I would love to hear everyones take on this cause it just makes no sense to me why there are not more developers for blackberry.
    09-05-11 02:12 PM
    the java system is a little trickier, but other than that it's just herd mentality.

And the Border Collies work for Apple and Google.
    Last edited by grahamf; 09-05-11 at 02:24 PM.
    audiodude and limh5 like this.
    09-05-11 02:21 PM
    I honestly don't know. There is a large chance at profit in the app world. I tried to start making apps but it was too difficult so I began making themes
    09-05-11 03:12 PM
    I don't get it either. It's ridiculously easy to get started with development on Blackberry. Even taking the Java route, it's much easier to develop for BB than Android.

WebWorks is brilliant, and makes writing simple apps and games virtually effortless.

Besides, your app is virtually guaranteed to have greater visibility than on competing platforms, and Blackberry users seem more willing to pay a premium for apps.

The real question, of course, is why wouldn't you develop for Blackberry?
    09-05-11 08:10 PM
    How exactly do you make a webworks app?
    09-05-11 08:28 PM
    I don't get it either. It's ridiculously easy to get started with development on Blackberry. Even taking the Java route, it's much easier to develop for BB than Android.

WebWorks is brilliant, and makes writing simple apps and games virtually effortless.

Besides, your app is virtually guaranteed to have greater visibility than on competing platforms, and Blackberry users seem more willing to pay a premium for apps.

The real question, of course, is why wouldn't you develop for Blackberry?
    I disagree with this.

Things may have changed, and I am willing to say I may be wrong, but the current state proves that to be wrong in and of itself, doesn't it?
    09-05-11 08:34 PM
    Blackberry users seem more willing to pay a premium for apps.
    Cus they have to. BlackBerry apps cost three times as much as Android and iOS apps on average.
    howarmat likes this.
    09-05-11 08:40 PM
    Cus they have to. BlackBerry apps cost three times as much as Android and iOS apps on average.
    it all depends on what the developer chooses to charge. Lowest app price was $0.75 in appworld, and it's not found cause my 9700 doesn't support it due to being designed for the 81xx and never was updated. I forgot it's name.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-05-11 09:09 PM
    with 65 million users and app world not swamped with apps there is so much opertunity there to show your stuff.
    09-05-11 10:26 PM
    I talked to a friend about this. He has a start up company to develop app solutions for other companies, in addition to creating some of his own apps to sell. What he told me was a little depressing, and this coming from a guy who worked at RIM for a couple of semesters. His reasoning were:

iOS and Android are much new operating systems. Whether or not it matters, iOS is, according to him, extremely simple to develop apps for. He created an app for TED talks, and said that the Blackberry version took a much longer time as opposed to the iOS one. As well, even though the apps were free, he noticed that he was getting way more downloads from the iOS store.

QNX on the other hand, he mentioned is much more easier to write apps for. While it actually has the power to compete with other tabs (if not beat them), a scenario unlike the phones, there aren't enough people with Playbooks. If his time and energy can be used to develop for a tablet that's certain to have a future, as opposed to one that has no official sell through numbers, it's inefficient for him. He has developed for the Playbook, and just noticed a dismal number of downloads.

I have read on a few different websites, that Microsoft is really working hard to court developers. They now have 30k apps in their store. That's way more then RIM (if you take out the themes). I think RIM needs to do the same.
    09-05-11 11:22 PM
    I talked to a friend about this. He has a start up company to develop app solutions for other companies, in addition to creating some of his own apps to sell. What he told me was a little depressing, and this coming from a guy who worked at RIM for a couple of semesters. His reasoning were:

iOS and Android are much new operating systems. Whether or not it matters, iOS is, according to him, extremely simple to develop apps for. He created an app for TED talks, and said that the Blackberry version took a much longer time as opposed to the iOS one. As well, even though the apps were free, he noticed that he was getting way more downloads from the iOS store.

QNX on the other hand, he mentioned is much more easier to write apps for. While it actually has the power to compete with other tabs (if not beat them), a scenario unlike the phones, there aren't enough people with Playbooks. If his time and energy can be used to develop for a tablet that's certain to have a future, as opposed to one that has no official sell through numbers, it's inefficient for him. He has developed for the Playbook, and just noticed a dismal number of downloads.

I have read on a few different websites, that Microsoft is really working hard to court developers. They now have 30k apps in their store. That's way more then RIM (if you take out the themes). I think RIM needs to do the same.
    Interesting take.

I mostly agree... I think that the ROI is just not there. I don't use iOS, but if I were a developer, that's where my focus would be. Heck, it was said that that Google developed the Google+ iOS port before it made one for Android.

I think RIM should start courting developers BIG time. A suggestion made that I continually parrot is that RIM should give developers 100% of proceeds from app sales for a period of time. I suggest even more: they should pay them for development of popular titles. Give them bounties for reaching download thresholds.

Innovative ideas would help... what about a super-functional, say, LinkedIn app for what is supposed to be the consummate business device? Add in BBM functionality. Give major corporations a reason to develop for BB by tying in their apps to unique BB functionality.

I don't pretend to have all the answers, but I am sure RIM has people smarter than me.
    09-05-11 11:34 PM
    30k apps is cool but how many are worth downloading, and how many have hidden intentions of stealing your info?
    09-05-11 11:54 PM
    30k apps is cool but how many are worth downloading, and how many have hidden intentions of stealing your info?
    I think it's largely this kind of thinking that landed BlackBerry in their current predicament. Just a few minutes browsing these forums reveals a hugely derisive attitude toward the very notion of third-party applications. A smartphone, or tablet, is only as good as the software it runs. I know we all love to laugh at apple's "fart apps," or how android/iOS devices are "toys," but the truth is that these items (smartphones/tablets) are microcomputers. And it's a GOOD THING that they carry a high degree of functionality. There's a lot of "well my blackberry is the best COMMUNICATION device, or the best PHONE around." But for good or ill, apple and google have taken the game way beyond that. I want to be able to print documents from my phone. Stream high-res new releases through my phone to my television. Receive audible turnbyturn GPS direction. Video chat with my family while I'm away on business. Even tell me where to point my telescope so I can see Saturn. The massive advantage in numbers held by iOS and Google incentivizes developers to write code for those platforms. I often hear it touted that BB has 65 million users, but many of those are in the third world. And frankly, many of those users see no need for third-party applications, and many of those that do may not have the means or inclination to pay for that functionality.

I'm not saying BB cannot recover from the mess they've gotten themselves into, but it will be an uphill battle. And if decision makers at RIM have the same attitude toward apps as most of the users on these forums, then they are, without a doubt, going to die as an individual entity in the game.
    jonathon.94, bhuinker, p51 and 3 others like this.
    09-06-11 12:40 AM
    RIM has missed the boat on apps. I can't believe they aren't pushing harder for more apps I mean even my supermarket has a app! Someone has dropped the ball at headquarters and they need to pick it up!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    Chrisy likes this.
    09-06-11 07:48 AM
    Because you want to? If you build it will they come? I think any good useful app would do well. If people want to make silly apps they'll probably not do well.

I just love bla bla has a million apps, big deal. Give me a few useful apps. I don't need millions or 100 choices of basically the same app.
    maddie1128 likes this.
    09-06-11 08:49 AM
    The misconception that most apps are games or fart apps is finally dying. Take a look at my app list. One game. The test are for productivity, travel, navigation, and communication.

I'm not sure why BlackBerry AppWorld is so behind. I think they more apps added, more folks will be enticed to go BlackBerry.

Some apps for BlackBerry are awesome and look at the great success, like QuickLaunch.
    09-06-11 08:56 AM
    Because you want to? If you build it will they come? I think any good useful app would do well. If people want to make silly apps they'll probably not do well.

I just love bla bla has a million apps, big deal. Give me a few useful apps. I don't need millions or 100 choices of basically the same app.
    I love choices. Give me as many apps to choose from as possible. Same with devices. I don't want just Android, or just, BB, or just iOS. I want them all to battle, and to thrive, and make it tough for me to choose what I perceive to be the best for me.

For example, K9 and Maildroid Android email apps. They feed off each other. One is paid, one is free; they make each other better. Google has to keep their in-house app up-to-par, since K9 is based off of its source. Result? Better products (in theory).

Consumer wins.

Another example? Docs2Go. Now, in BB world, they are kings of MS documents. Yes, you have others like eOffice, IIRC, but D2G is the big dog. Now, if you compare the Android and BB ports, the Android version is FAR more functional than the BB version.

Why? I think part of the reason is choice. In the Android Market, there are about a dozen word processors. If Dataviz wants to compete, Dataviz had better make sure that it's offerings, at the very least, have just about everything the competition has. When QuickOffice Android introduced Dropbox compatibility, it took only days for D2G to add Google Docs syncability. I mean, doesn't RIM now own Dataviz?

Consumer wins.

This is why, IMHO, you hear people say the quality of apps on BB is dismal when compared to other platforms. The developers don't have that much competition.

I want as many apps to choose from. Why settle for a fart app with monotones, when I can have one with harmony?
    ***Sorry... I have to keep up with the farce that all of us on other platforms ONLY use fart apps***
    09-06-11 10:47 AM
    I have no idea why you wouldn't want to make apps for Blackberry, especially if you are a DEVELOPER.

70 million blackberry users worldwide, give or take. You're an ***** if you are a developer and you alienate those users. Terrible business model in my opinion.
    312 likes this.
    09-06-11 12:11 PM
    I have no idea why you wouldn't want to make apps for Blackberry, especially if you are a DEVELOPER.

70 million blackberry users worldwide, give or take. You're an ***** if you are a developer and you alienate those users. Terrible business model in my opinion.
    See... you have to ask yourself: why aren't they? I say the answer is simple. Like it or not, it isn't profitable.

If it were, they'd do it. Simple.

If there 70 million users who would buy apps, developers would be KILLING each other to get to them. That just isn't the case. Even corporations are not developing apps for BB.

70 million.
    09-06-11 12:17 PM
  20. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    it has been shown that Blackberry users are amongst the most influential of all smartphone users period!

... so as a developer .. if you want to tap into that lucrative "customer profile", then it makes sense to develop quality apps that appeal to that target audience ....

.. and you will be rewarded ...
    09-06-11 12:22 PM
    You'll be rewarded if rim ever pays you they still owe me money from may.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
    09-06-11 12:25 PM
    You'll be rewarded if rim ever pays you they still owe me money from may.

Oh wow. Talk about a roadblock to development...
    09-06-11 12:28 PM
    Oh wow. Talk about a roadblock to development...
    I should've said fully pays you. They've paid me most of the 60-70% you get.

09-06-11 12:39 PM
    I should've said fully pays you. They've paid me most of the 60-70% you get.

Got ya. I stand corrected. I still hold that for a while, they should pay you 100%.

60-70% isn't too bad.
    09-06-11 12:49 PM
    See... you have to ask yourself: why aren't they? I say the answer is simple. Like it or not, it isn't profitable.

If it were, they'd do it. Simple.

If there 70 million users who would buy apps, developers would be KILLING each other to get to them. That just isn't the case. Even corporations are not developing apps for BB.

70 million.
    How about making an app that is worth buying?

Too many wannabe developers out there. Give us the goods and we'll pay for it.
    maddie1128 likes this.
    09-06-11 01:02 PM
70 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD