So with all the glory of my 9800 which I absolutely love, why the **** is there no good GPS turn by turn APP??? Seriously man, what gives here? My buddy and his damn iPhone has 2 different free GPS voice nav apps that he uses all the time and I sit there with egg on my face cause I can't even get 1 free working GPS app for driving.

Yes the google maps is good but not good when you almost rear end someone cause you are too busy flipping your phone around to follow your beacon and look where you need to go!

WAZE GPS just blows...it shouldn't even be called BETA release as it bearly does anything...has potential though.

Anyway, I'm not trying to be cheap, my plan is already up there and don't want to pay an extra 10$ a month for damn telenav.
    I'm just frustrated that there is nothing available after over a couple years now for BB in the free market for GPS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-21-10 01:30 PM
    No developer interest in free ones. Android only has a good one because Google eventually made one, which in turn likely caused the free ones showing up on the iphone...
    12-21-10 01:33 PM
    Are you on ATT? If you are and you aren't looking for a free app, the ATT NAV app that comes with the phone is pretty darn good.
    12-21-10 01:37 PM
    Sorry, just saw that you know about Telenav. I feel you pain on the free app though. Hopefully one will come out soon.
    12-21-10 01:38 PM
    Thanks for the responses guys, I'm not trying to be the negative a$$ just that simple of a frustration is annoying for productivity. On a phone that can do pretty much anything

*sigh* hurry up and wait. Or buy a stand alone GPS which is what I may do.

12-21-10 01:53 PM
    I use Garmin Mobile. Yes, the initial cost is quite high but I bought it almost 2 years
    ago. Were I using TeleNav the cost over the same period would have been twice
    the cost.

Garmin Mobile is pay for it once. No monthly fees.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 12-21-10 at 01:58 PM.
    12-21-10 01:56 PM
    why pay 100 when you can find standalones for that much?
    12-21-10 02:09 PM
    Gokivo was free way back when it came it, it was clunky but worked well.

the Garmin says "for the lifetime of your device" so i am assuming its PIN based so once you get a new phone your SOL? or can you transfer it
    12-21-10 02:16 PM
    Yeah I wish there was a free one too
    12-21-10 02:25 PM
    Because it's standalone. Maybe if you only need it for your own car a standalone is better. Otherwise, I doubt you're going to port the unit around everywhere that you would end up wanting it...
    12-21-10 02:27 PM
    +1 especially when you consider the size of some BB screens, like Bold and Curve.
    12-21-10 02:28 PM
    @chinoxs My cousin had the garmin app on his 8330, and had his phone replaced twice and they always supported it. Even when he switched to the 9700 they gave him another copy to install, only issue was it was the 8300 cod.
    12-21-10 04:22 PM
    $100 is $100 but why would I want to carry around a GPS when I can just take my phone and get the same result?
    12-21-10 05:40 PM
    +1 ^
    10 characters

12-21-10 05:46 PM
    Because it's standalone. Maybe if you only need it for your own car a standalone is better. Otherwise, I doubt you're going to port the unit around everywhere that you would end up wanting it...
    That is precisely my deal. For work I do not drive my own car and the car that I do drive may or may not be the same from day to day.
    My phone I am always going to have with me. Simple.

Posted from...man, I hate this stupid tagline.
    12-21-10 05:47 PM
    I just downloaded the Garmin Mobile app for my Torch and it seems to work great! Purchased it from Handando for $75 as they have a "Save 25%" coupon code "HAPPY25". Good deal if you are looking to buy the Garmin App.
    12-21-10 06:56 PM
    If youre on Bell Mobility in Canada, you can get there nav app for $50 for the lifetime of the device. Its just a rebranded telenav app. And to top it off, data is included so it doesnt use the data in your plan.
    12-22-10 08:06 AM
    I have to agree with the OP... I have Telenav and it's great but it's not worth 10 bucks a month if you only use it a few times... Telenav should be no more than $3.99.
    12-22-10 08:24 AM
    +1 especially when you consider the size of some BB screens, like Bold and Curve.
    Your +1 on buying a standalone instead doesn't register for the reason given because this is the Torch subforum and you're talking about the screen size of your Bold. In landscape mode on the Torch, the Garmin app is virtually indistinguishable in size from the basic standalones.

So I cancel you out with a -1 and I add my own +1 for the Garmin mobile. It's always with me, notably at times such as when I am traveling and renting a car (which is when you need GPS the most). Also, it's more economical in the long run than the monthly $10 for AT&T Navigator.

Although it does the job, I do have some minor quibbles about the interface -- they could update it to make it "prettier" and throw in an arrival time (as Garmin has on its standalones). Also, they need to boost the volume -- partly a Torch problem, admittedly, but the quality of the sound coming out of the app could be cleaned up considerably.
    12-22-10 09:02 AM
    If youre on Bell Mobility in Canada, you can get there nav app for $50 for the lifetime of the device. Its just a rebranded telenav app. And to top it off, data is included so it doesnt use the data in your plan.
    Well hey, I didn't even know there was a flat one time offer and yes, I'm on BELL. I'll look into that one bro, thanks for the heads up.
    $50 for TeleNav is not too bad at all and its been rated as reliable as the Garmin. Hmmm

Cheers guys.

12-22-10 10:51 AM
    I'm just wondering, is there any good ones available with o2 UK, that I can get free preferably?
    12-22-10 11:02 AM
    Google have a working turn-by-turn map-app but they do not release it for BlackBerry. The seem to prefer to keep this on Android. Are they scared or what? Hehe.

Nokia have TomTom for free but buying a Nokia does seem a bit extreme.

Currently I keep Google Maps on my phone but keep a stand-alone GPS in my car.

I tried a version of Garmin on a Blackberry and it worked weLl enough but of course, it hammered the dataplan which is fine when you are in your home country but would cost a fortune if you go roaming. Hence my choice of a stand-alone unit with all the maps on the SD card. If someone released that, I'd think again.
    12-22-10 11:16 AM
    Aside from paying for Telnav from AT&T there is no other free Voice NAV app for the Torch that I know of. Blackberry Traffic is very cool but no voice directions.
    12-22-10 11:25 AM
    I know some people knock it and don't like but I've always used and like BBMaps.
    12-22-10 09:45 PM
    Im ATT and pardon me, but screw ATT $10 charge per month to use their gps. Just go with google maps/latitude That way you can still use your location sharing, minus their fee...................btw with google mobile app, its a voice app. hows that 4 "Moby ****"
    Last edited by doubledecker; 12-22-10 at 10:01 PM.
    12-22-10 09:59 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD