Whenever I go on my apps such as Maple Leafs Mobile, UberTwitter, The Hockey News or The Score Mobile it brings down my total MB when I look in the memory section. Now I also noticed if I do a battery pull it brings back up to it's original number. So is there a way to make sure the total MB don't go down each time I open my apps without having to do a battery pull?
    09-12-10 02:58 PM
    Are you properly closing the apps using the menu when you are done with them? If you just press the back button, the apps keep running in the background which uses up memory.
    09-12-10 03:00 PM
    Yes I am always closing them the correct way.
    09-12-10 03:03 PM
    What you are seeing is normal operation of your BlackBerry. Each of those apps use current data, it has to be saved in memory.

When you close an application, the memory is no longer reserved and it will be recovered when Java VM executes it "garbage collection" routine. That will happen when the device is in standby or if the memory gets critically low.

Micro managing memory by pulling the battery was common with the older generation of 64 Mb BlackBerry, but is counter productive when there is plenty of memory in reserve.

In short, ignore it and let the automatic memory managment take care of the memory.
    09-12-10 03:05 PM
    What you are seeing is normal operation of your BlackBerry. Each of those apps use current data, it has to be saved in memory.

When you close an application, the memory is no longer reserved and it will be recovered when Java VM executes it "garbage collection" routine. That will happen when the device is in standby or if the memory gets critically low.

Micro managing memory by pulling the battery was common with the older generation of 64 Mb BlackBerry, but is counter productive when there is plenty of memory in reserve.

In short, ignore it and let the automatic memory managment take care of the memory.
    Thank you for your reply and that does help since I never knew all that information before.
    09-12-10 03:11 PM
    Glad to help.

Many of us take pride in running up huge Uptimes between resets. I frequently go several weeks between restarts using a 64 Mb Pearl.

You can monitor your Uptime with LShift+ H, E, L, P. or LShift+ R, A, C, E on a SureType keyboard.
    09-12-10 03:20 PM
    You can monitor your Uptime with LShift+ H, E, L, P. or LShift+ R, A, C, E on a SureType keyboard.
    That is something I will try to remember about doing.
    09-12-10 03:23 PM
    As Reed said, just normal. With Fixmo I can watch my RAM and ROM. ROM stays steady, while the RAM will increase till it reaches a maximum of about 50% used with all the garbage collected. That's still plenty to run over 40 apps simultaneously without crashing. It will spike in the high 80% usage neighborhood, but then drop back down. The hybrids I run keep RAM lower than stock OS will, but only by a few %. This RAM climb is what was considered a memory leak in earlier devices, without enough to maintain operations. While I can't say for certain, it appears there's certain information the memory is meant to maintain, and not clear out using the garbage collector. It doesn't seem to be linked to opening and closing apps. When I bench a hybrid, it takes the same 24 hours or so to reach a flat point, even though I run through every app I have. Browsing will have an effect on how quickly the peak is reached though, but that cache "should" be collected and disposed frequently. I'll defer to a software expert on the facts behind what I observe.
    09-12-10 03:55 PM
    Whenever I go on my apps such as Maple Leafs Mobile, UberTwitter, The Hockey News or The Score Mobile it brings down my total MB when I look in the memory section. Now I also noticed if I do a battery pull it brings back up to it's original number. So is there a way to make sure the total MB don't go down each time I open my apps without having to do a battery pull?
    I was going to answer this post for you but there is nothing that I can add that Reed did not. He actually answered quite well and this IS the way your device works.

If you want though you can purchase through the CB app store right here an app called Meterberry which does a very good job keeping track of many things like Memory, Battery and signal strength among other things. They just launched a new version 2.5 and many of us use it and you can use it like the Java garbage collection to retrive Memory, You should check it out. Take care and good luck.
    09-14-10 06:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD