I tested two different apps with similar results. Both BerryBlow's EveryHour and AIM's HourlyChime (for Curve) take my up time between boots from 24 hrs to 3 and 2 respectively. Anyone know why these simple clock hook apps run so inefficiently?

Since these are two independent companies products with the same dysfunctional result I'm beginning to think there is no effective RIM API to use to do this so these apps must poll the OS every 5s to check to see if they chime the speaker or not? How can these apps eat memory 8 - 12 times the normal device (tuned) rate?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-09-09 07:53 PM
    maybe they run in the background. your memory (and battery) will drain much faster if you have apps running in the background. if you want it stopped, delete them.

you can set your calendar for alarms.
    05-10-09 12:00 AM
    man im sorry your having these issues but nija is right if they run inda back ground your going to see that happend
    have you searched around to see other peoples ranst and raves about the app
    05-10-09 02:44 AM
    Yes I did search for other woes and didn't find anything so that's why I'm posting. Yes, I have already deleted the app.

As far as running in the background, every monitor app does it. BBAlerts, BBLight, MemoryEye, BuzzMe for example. But they don't eat me memory like these two apps do. Any app that remains on the application switcher "ribbon" after closing the app is therefor TSR and is running in the background in one form or another.

It may be running idle just waiting for input (static) or it may be actively monitoring, reading and writing data (dynamic) in the background. The latter type is what we are talking about here. And specifically how these apps manage memory and handles within the OS and interact with the RIM low memory management and self-purging features might be the problem. More than likely the event accumulates over 1000 handles then crashes (self-resets) the device.

Anyone have a link to how to read and understand that cryptic event log? I know my answer to this issue is logged there somewhere. I can see just before it resets that it that it is purging memory like memory cleaner does. Does RM=1 mean a reboot? Because right above (after) that line all modules say "Init" like they reinitialized (ie: after a self-reboot).
    05-10-09 12:08 PM
    So I have some bold entries in my event log. I assume these are warnings or critical errors. What do they mean. For example this AM my device just rebooted itself about 6:15 (based on the device info uptime timer info). So I then go to the event log and start sniffing around all events at that time. And I find a bold entry at 6:15 stating:

E net.rim.tcp - TNlf 0

Why is it bold? What does it mean? Where can I learn how to read and understand this event log and what it all means???
    05-10-09 01:17 PM
    Update: No problem with these apps.

Somehow while playing with Aerize loader I managed to install two different versions of MemoryUp Pro which were conflicting. I got the V2.7 applet but the V3 midlet! How it happened was I used Aerize to unload (delete) the app rather than Options on device or DM. It did not do it. It only unloaded half and reloaded the other half from a different version. Scary app that Aerize loader.

My indication that something was wrong was the icon for the app did not change to the blue M.

This totally screwed up my memory management and these two apps pronounced the issue. There is no problem with these apps. They both work but I like EveryHour way better. What a learning "curve" playing with Aerize loader.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by elfaure; 05-17-09 at 04:00 PM.
    05-17-09 03:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD