I am looking for an app (preferably free) that would show me who a text is from without actually opening the messaging app to see. Or, better yet, a filter app for texts that would block messages from a particular number. Does anything like either of these exist?

A friend of mine is being pestered by an ex and I am trying to help out.
    09-06-10 11:20 AM
    Use the white pages reverse lookup. It's free, at least it is in wa.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-06-10 11:48 AM
    With newer OSs she can block incoming texts from everyone but those in her address book, not sure if this is what she's looking for but it's worth a try if he's a real PITA. She can do it for a while until he gives up.
    Go to Options>Security options>Firewall, then check the block SMS and except messages from contacts.

09-06-10 12:11 PM
    Or, better yet, a filter app for texts that would block messages from a particular number.
    Have your friend call their carrier and block that particular number. Or pay somebody to go kick his **** until he get's the message
    09-06-10 06:41 PM
    Yeah. Its best to block it through your carrier. Setting your phone to block it doesn't stop it from going through your carrier and possibly charging you for it before your phone even sees it to block it.

I recently found that happening to me. My phone is set to block all incoming sms since I don't have a messaging plan. But just last month, I found out that there is actually a regular SMS message being sent to my phone on a regular basis that I'm getting charged for, but I never saw. Going back through my firewall settings tells me how many were blocked - about 40 (I had done an OS reload a month earlier so the count probably reset from then). I can see the number checking my usage online - it's one of those messaging numbers, not a regular phone number. But from the carriers website is where you can set it to block that particular number for good.

09-07-10 08:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD