I heard it was going to be available in March, is this still the plan?

Thanks.
    02-15-09 10:30 PM
    I am anxious too! I hope that even though I am using my Storm on T-Mobile, that I will still be able to access it!
    02-15-09 10:32 PM
    they said march release but who knows...

an official OS release was supposed to come last month and who knows what happened to that... so dont get your hopes up on the app store, sucks because i want BOTH right now lol
    02-15-09 10:35 PM
    Im very anxious too, i also heard it as in March aswell.
    02-15-09 10:36 PM
    March.......ehh......we'll find out eventually
    02-15-09 10:43 PM
    The question is march 2009? Lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-15-09 10:56 PM
    I heard end of March

02-15-09 11:14 PM
    April 1stish is the word I've heard from people in management. Of course, they are often as ill-informed as we peons.
    02-16-09 12:13 AM
    I am anxious too! I hope that even though I am using my Storm on T-Mobile, that I will still be able to access it!
    I would assume it's supported through BIS so you're probably good.
    02-16-09 10:11 PM
    RIM plans to launch the application storefront in March 2009 and BlackBerry application developers can begin submitting their applications and content for inclusion in the storefront in December 2008. The storefront will allow developers to set their own prices for applications and developers will retain 80 percent of the revenue generated from their applications. RIM is working with PayPal, a leading global online payment service, to provide consumers with a convenient and trusted way to pay for applications within the new application storefront, right from their BlackBerry smartphone. Organizations that have deployed BlackBerry� Enterprise Server or BlackBerry� Professional Software will retain control of what applications can be downloaded to BlackBerry smartphones within their corporate deployments.

RIM is also working with its carrier partners to provide carrier-customized, on-device application centers to help foster after-market application downloads. The BlackBerry application center will allow each carrier to offer a convenient catalog right on the device where a customer can discover and download applications. RIM has already worked with carriers successfully to provide this type of on-device distribution system for individual software applications, such as the popular Facebook for BlackBerry Smartphones application. The new BlackBerry application center will allow a carrier to build on that success with a broader catalog and provide customers with a convenient and easy method to purchase and download applications.
    02-16-09 10:31 PM
    RIM plans to launch the application storefront in March 2009 and BlackBerry application developers can begin submitting their applications and content for inclusion in the storefront in December 2008. The storefront will allow developers to set their own prices for applications and developers will retain 80 percent of the revenue generated from their applications. RIM is working with PayPal, a leading global online payment service, to provide consumers with a convenient and trusted way to pay for applications within the new application storefront, right from their BlackBerry smartphone. Organizations that have deployed BlackBerry� Enterprise Server or BlackBerry� Professional Software will retain control of what applications can be downloaded to BlackBerry smartphones within their corporate deployments.

RIM is also working with its carrier partners to provide carrier-customized, on-device application centers to help foster after-market application downloads. The BlackBerry application center will allow each carrier to offer a convenient catalog right on the device where a customer can discover and download applications. RIM has already worked with carriers successfully to provide this type of on-device distribution system for individual software applications, such as the popular Facebook for BlackBerry Smartphones application. The new BlackBerry application center will allow a carrier to build on that success with a broader catalog and provide customers with a convenient and easy method to purchase and download applications.
    If I read that right, then the carrier i.e. verizon can pick and choose what to offer there subscriber? If so, Knowing verizon's greed, we'll have to beg and plead for the goodies "please sir, may I have some more"
    02-16-09 10:43 PM
    they said march release but who knows...

an official OS release was supposed to come last month and who knows what happened to that... so dont get your hopes up on the app store, sucks because i want BOTH right now lol
    who is they, verizon or rim has never given any official statements for software release dates.
    02-16-09 11:37 PM
    I don't think that RIM would give the providers complete control over the app store. Since RIM is spending so much time and money on this project, it would be stupid to give companies such as Verizon complete control to ultimately wreck their image. I believe that RIM will give the providers a good amount of control but still have the ability to push items that they think should be in the store since it is RIM in charge of the infrastructure and administration.

02-16-09 11:41 PM
    who is they, verizon or rim has never given any official statements for software release dates.
    Yup... RIM sure has...
    BlackBerry - Press Release

There are tons of other press releases internet-wide from RIM stating the same. Many of them more recent than the above example.
    02-16-09 11:42 PM
    I'm referring to OS releases, not the storefront. Thus why I quoted him...
    02-16-09 11:45 PM
    Urp... you're right. My bad =D
    02-16-09 11:48 PM
    After reading through this it has finally dawned on me why there is no official update. It is obvious now. THey are going to sync the official update at or around the time the application center is launched. That would only make sense. especially considering there will be an icon for the application store and such, potentially tailored to each carrier.
    02-17-09 11:17 AM
    Is the storefront just a storm thing or will it be on other devices as well?

02-17-09 11:59 AM
    It will be available for trackball BB devices using OS 4.2.1 and higher, in addition to the Storm.
    02-17-09 12:03 PM
    After reading through this it has finally dawned on me why there is no official update. It is obvious now. THey are going to sync the official update at or around the time the application center is launched. That would only make sense. especially considering there will be an icon for the application store and such, potentially tailored to each carrier.
    I don't think that's why. I think rim was wanting to have a major update in january as rumors stated but the os's they had at the time did not meet vzws standards.. Heck we all know how buggy they were. At this point I could see the appstore launching for bb but the storm won't have a new os and therefore won't be able to use it because the current official os is still .75

02-17-09 01:02 PM
    There probably won't be a need to install a new OS just to run the app store. If you look at Rhapsody app that verizon has for the storm, this app didn't appear on the storm when it was first released and didn't need a new OS to install it. What RIM could do is push the app store to our devices as an update to the app center. Also the first incarnation of the app store is supposed to run from the BB browser while they finish getting the entire service together.

02-17-09 08:09 PM
    I will be really happy if this comes out in march. We will see

02-17-09 08:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD