Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 62
Like Tree24Likes
  1. chrysaurora's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,027 Posts
    #26  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roo Zilla View Post
    You don't have to use your real phone number for Whatsapp. You can just get a throwaway from somewhere and use that.
    What?! As far as I know, when you install WhatsApp, it sends a text message to your number to validate your phone number and then it gets tied to that phone number. Are you saying, buy a SIM card, download whatsapp, install it, validate it. Remove SIM card and then use your real SIM Card? I don't think that'd work. Sometimes you've to reboot the device, sometimes the application shuts down. You might have to delete/re-install the app for any reason.
    *******
    Dear BlackBerry,
    UPGRADE existing users to BB 10. Don't want to price devices too low? Start a 'trade-up' program. Let existing BB users exchange their old (even non-working) devices for new BB10. Eg: Old BlackBerry + $250 = Z10 This way, you won't have to officially lower your MSRP.

    IMPLEMENT requests in order (most requested to least): http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...50/index9.html
  2. Roo Zilla's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,339 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,567 Global Posts
    #27  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chrysaurora View Post
    What?! As far as I know, when you install WhatsApp, it sends a text message to your number to validate your phone number and then it gets tied to that phone number. Are you saying, buy a SIM card, download whatsapp, install it, validate it. Remove SIM card and then use your real SIM Card? I don't think that'd work. Sometimes you've to reboot the device, sometimes the application shuts down. You might have to delete/re-install the app for any reason.
    Yes, that will work.
  3. ankoil's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    79 Posts
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    #28  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roo Zilla View Post
    Yes, that will work.
    I wasn't aware of this. I still think BBM is much better though. What's App is very basic.
    Thanked by:
    Bold_until_Hybrid_Comes (12-05-2012) 
  4. chrysaurora's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,027 Posts
    #29  

    Default

    Anyway, coming back to the topic in the thread title: "Whatsapp is the reason people are buying other phones instead of blackberry". I think it's actually more than that.

    My opinion is BlackBerry is very practical and also kind of addictive (it really is crack-berry). The practicality of unified/universal inbox (aka 'hub' in BB 10 lingo) and the LED light is hard to beat. Some of my friends who migrated to iPhone/Android tell me they miss the red led light. It's kinda addictive. So, why are people not choosing BB?

    Case 1: People migrating from BlackBerry to iPhone/Android
    Simply because of the app gap. BB 5/6/7 are very practical but people want their phones to do more. BB 5/6/7 are slow (constant hourglass, battery pulls). RIM keeps adding new features/apps to BB7 but the slowness takes half the fun away. So, people are migrating to other OSes which are faster and slicker. They may not be as practical or productivity oriented as BBs but the speed/fluidity makes them to fun to use. Enhances the overall experience.

    Case 2: People who've never used a BlackBerry are buying iPhone/Android
    Again, this is because when you go checkout a demo BB in-store, it appears slow, lacks a lot of apps. Customer says 'but keyboard would be very handy..' and the sales-guy 'oh, you'll get used to touch screen keyboard, and look how cool this is..everything is fast..you can do so much.. there are so many apps, there is Skype for calling, there is NetFlix for watching movies, amazing browser that renders webpages fluidly..' and the BB (despite its practicality) starts to appear as an outdated/inferior product. For the sales-guy, iPhone and Android become a much easier-sell. Now, in reality, this customer might never use Skype, might never use NetFlix but the perception is that if your smartphone can't have these apps then your smartphone is not really smart. This user NEVER even gets to try addictive features of a BlackBerry (hub, led light etc.), NEVER gets to feel how practical a BB can be !

    With BB 10, I am expecting RIM to close the app-gap (bring all top used apps, and top downloaded apps to BB 10), and I am also expecting that BB 10 OS will make the device really fast/fluid (at par with, if not faster than, iPhone/Android devices). Once this happens, I think the former BB users will flock back to BB. Like bees to honey. They have already tasted the practicality of a BB and I think a lot of them will flock back.

    And new users (that have never used BB before) will at-least start having a neutral view of BB 10 when they see it in-store. There will be some early adopters and if BB can provide them what these early adopters perceive to be essential, it'll open the floodgates for BlackBerry 10 sales!
    Last edited by chrysaurora; 12-05-2012 at 01:21 PM.
    *******
    Dear BlackBerry,
    UPGRADE existing users to BB 10. Don't want to price devices too low? Start a 'trade-up' program. Let existing BB users exchange their old (even non-working) devices for new BB10. Eg: Old BlackBerry + $250 = Z10 This way, you won't have to officially lower your MSRP.

    IMPLEMENT requests in order (most requested to least): http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...50/index9.html
    ritesh likes this.
  5. go1ndr's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,390 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,395 Global Posts
    #30  

    Default

    Hi Everyone! I'm seldom on this forum but saw What'sApp and had to jump on. I downloaded it some time ago when some friends of mine moved to Cabo San Lucus to open a resort. They had iPhone and told me What'sApp was free anywhere in the world and they were going to use it to text to friends/family in the US. I downloaded it and the app actually worked fine with one glaring exception! It was the biggest battery hog I've experienced yet--except for of course all battery monitor apps-LOL. The problem with What'sApp is that it constantly runs in the background and unless you completely close it--not just exit--it never shuts down and keeps on keeping on and sucking up battery power. Not a biggie but if you have it on and don't know it you will experience battery drain which is hard to find with the common search methods.
    If someone knows of another messaging app out there that is free around the world and doesn't suck up your battery, now is the time to speak up. Thanks!
  6. JR A's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,512 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,563 Global Posts
    PIN
    79828214
    #31  

    Default

    People sticking with iPhone because of WhatsApp?

    Of the 40+ people in my contacts list that I know have an iPhone, they don't even know what WhatsApp is...
  7. chrysaurora's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,027 Posts
    #32  

    Default

    My battery is fine on WhatsApp. Are you using the latest version of WhatsApp? I remember the older version of WhatsApp drained more battery. But the newer version seems just fine.

    Quote Originally Posted by JRAnciano View Post
    People sticking with iPhone because of WhatsApp?

    Of the 40+ people in my contacts list that I know have an iPhone, they don't even know what WhatsApp is...
    It's not free on iPhone. Well, even the first year of WhatsApp is NOT free on iPhone. So, maybe, that's why a lot of iPhone folks don't download/use it. They are fine using iMessage and SMS!
    *******
    Dear BlackBerry,
    UPGRADE existing users to BB 10. Don't want to price devices too low? Start a 'trade-up' program. Let existing BB users exchange their old (even non-working) devices for new BB10. Eg: Old BlackBerry + $250 = Z10 This way, you won't have to officially lower your MSRP.

    IMPLEMENT requests in order (most requested to least): http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...50/index9.html
    ritesh likes this.
  8. Cesare21's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    463 Posts
    PIN
    K Ink Wink
    #33  

    Default

    I have Whatsapp installed and use it quite a bit. It's a memory and a battery hog on OS 7.1 that's for sure. It's functionality is passable and I highly doubt the delivery/read marks. The other highly irritating issue is it links to other WA contacts without asking, I'm not too comfortable with this part though. I have even heard of issues with the iphone WA - messages not getting delivered but still showing as delivered and so on.

    OP, I think as long as people can connect to their contacts by any means it's okay to switch to another device, WA is not the sole reason of people switching from BlackBerry to another platform.
    Children of tomorrow live in the tears that fall today
    Will the sunrise of tomorrow bring in peace in any way?
    Must the world live in the shadow of atomic fear?
    Can they win the fight for peace or will they disappear?

    -- Black Sabbath: Children of the Grave
  9. Rickroller's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,447 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,465 Global Posts
    PIN
    Proud contributer to The Human Fund
    #34  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ankoil View Post
    I wasn't aware of this. I still think BBM is much better though. What's App is very basic.
    Very basic? Have you even used it? It offers voice notes, pics, video, group chat, delivery notifications, status updates etc. The only thing it doesn't offer is "Read" notifications, but who cares about that unless you're stalking someone. And as for being worried about who has your phone number..I don't see what the big deal is. If they're someone you're comfortable enough with to message, then it shouldn't be an issue if they have your number. And if you don't actually want voice conversations with them, simply set it up so if they tried calling you it would go straight to voicemail.

    As it stands, my Whatsapp contact list is longer than my BBM list ever was.

    And LOL at Belfast saying it's a data hog..
    "Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all." -Sam Ewing
    Rollin' on Twitter
  10. Rickroller's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,447 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,465 Global Posts
    PIN
    Proud contributer to The Human Fund
    #35  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cesare21 View Post
    I have Whatsapp installed and use it quite a bit. It's a memory and a battery hog on OS 7.1 that's for sure. It's functionality is passable and I highly doubt the delivery/read marks. The other highly irritating issue is it links to other WA contacts without asking, I'm not too comfortable with this part though..
    That's because the hardware on OS 7 devices is a joke. And as for "irritating issues", it only links contacts if you have them in your Contacts to begin with. If you have someone's number stored (or vice versa), then you obviously felt comfortable enough to give them your number in the first place.
    "Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all." -Sam Ewing
    Rollin' on Twitter
  11. belfastdispatcher's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    13,419 Posts
    PIN
    27F48177
    #36  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rickroller View Post
    The only thing it doesn't offer is "Read" notifications, but who cares about that unless you're stalking someone.
    What? You must be joking, that's the most useful feature on BBM, it removes the need for a reply in many cases.
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
  12. Rickroller's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,447 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,465 Global Posts
    PIN
    Proud contributer to The Human Fund
    #37  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by belfastdispatcher View Post
    What? You must be joking, that's the most useful feature on BBM, it removes the need for a reply in many cases.
    Wife: "Pick up milk too"
    Me: "K"

    What's so hard about that?
    "Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all." -Sam Ewing
    Rollin' on Twitter
  13. go1ndr's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,390 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,395 Global Posts
    #38  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chrysaurora View Post
    My battery is fine on WhatsApp. Are you using the latest version of WhatsApp? I remember the older version of WhatsApp drained more battery. But the newer version seems just fine.


    It's not free on iPhone. Well, even the first year of WhatsApp is NOT free on iPhone. So, maybe, that's why a lot of iPhone folks don't download/use it. They are fine using iMessage and SMS!
    The version I had on my device was 2.8.37345 Released date of 5/21/2010 so its 2 years old. However that was the version that came from AppWorld. I'll check out their website and see if anything newer is available. Thanks for the tip!
  14. darkehawke's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,363 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,366 Global Posts
    #39  

    Default Whatsapp is the reason people are buying other phones instead of blackberry

    i disagree too. i know plenty of people who have downloaded whatsapp, used it for 2 days and never used it again.
    i also tried whatsapp and find it a very poor experience.
    i feel rim would be wasting their money by buying whatsapp. it has too many problems with it.

    Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    Primary Device: Moto X
    Backup Device: Blackberry Z10
  15. belfastdispatcher's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    13,419 Posts
    PIN
    27F48177
    #40  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by darkehawke View Post
    i disagree too. i know plenty of people who have downloaded whatsapp, used it for 2 days and never used it again.
    i also tried whatsapp and find it a very poor experience.
    i feel rim would be wasting their money by buying whatsapp. it has too many problems with it.

    Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    The problem is all those people that have tried it for two days and deleted it still appear as active users to their contacts.

    My first thought was wow, look how many are using it, then silence, nobody was responding.
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
  16. belfastdispatcher's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    13,419 Posts
    PIN
    27F48177
    #41  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rickroller View Post
    Wife: "Pick up milk too"
    Me: "K"

    What's so hard about that?
    You don't get it but that's ok.
  17. Rickroller's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,447 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,465 Global Posts
    PIN
    Proud contributer to The Human Fund
    #42  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by belfastdispatcher View Post
    You don't get it but that's ok.
    Nope, I do. I just don't think it's as important as you do.
    "Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all." -Sam Ewing
    Rollin' on Twitter
  18. belfastdispatcher's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    13,419 Posts
    PIN
    27F48177
    #43  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rickroller View Post
    Nope, I do. I just don't think it's as important as you do.
    It's extremely important if you drive a lot, I guess I do.
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
  19. DenverRalphy's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,140 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,709 Global Posts
    PIN
    Temporarily sans BB
    #44  

    Default Re: Whatsapp is the reason people are buying other phones instead of blackberry

    Quote Originally Posted by Rickroller View Post
    If they're someone you're comfortable enough with to message, then it shouldn't be an issue if they have your number. And if you don't actually want voice conversations with them, simply set it up so if they tried calling you it would go straight to voicemail.
    I have a ton of work related contacts who should only be able to contact me via messaging or email, and not have the luxury of being able to call me. Especially those pesky clients who feel that their time is more important than mine.

    As well there are personal contacts who only know me from social networking circles. While I don't mind them being able to message me (since I can block them in a moment's notice), letting them have my phone number would be crazy stupid.

    Swyped or Swifted via TapaTalk on my Galaxy Nexus.
    kbz1960 likes this.
  20. E92Vancouver's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    762 Posts
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    #45  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by belfastdispatcher View Post
    With all this talk of Whatapp I downloaded it again to give it another try and out of my contacts it said I had, only one was actually using it and he was gonna delete it and use sms instead as it used too much data on his iphone. I deleted it again.
    Well you don't know very many people then. Also Whatsapp is useful because International SMS is expensive.

    With less and less people using Blackberries, those that are still on Blackberries may use Whatsapp to chat with friends on Androids, iPhones and Windows phones.

    I also see you have this fixation on data. Data plans must be very expensive where you live. They are cheap in Canada and the US.
    Last edited by E92Vancouver; 12-05-2012 at 06:03 PM.
    7.1.0.391-Finally have mobile hot spot. Welcome to 2010 RIMM

    Torch 9810|Samsung Galaxy S4 |iPhone 5S|Nexus 7 Tablet |iPod 32gb
  21. Rickroller's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,447 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,465 Global Posts
    PIN
    Proud contributer to The Human Fund
    #46  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DenverRalphy View Post
    I have a ton of work related contacts who should only be able to contact me via messaging or email, and not have the luxury of being able to call me. Especially those pesky clients who feel that their time is more important than mine.

    As well there are personal contacts who only know me from social networking circles. While I don't mind them being able to message me (since I can block them in a moment's notice), letting them have my phone number would be crazy stupid.

    Swyped or Swifted via TapaTalk on my Galaxy Nexus.
    I understand that a person doesnt always want to give their numbers out to people. However, my point is, this isn't an issue with a lot of people seeings how popular texting is. If you're comfortable enough to give your number out to text someone..Whatsapp is a MUCH better alternative in the long run because of its flexibility and added features.
    "Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all." -Sam Ewing
    Rollin' on Twitter
  22. r0v3rT3N's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,742 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,748 Global Posts
    #47  

    Default

    If this is the reason people aren't buying BlackBerry's then we must eliminate Whatsapp.
    Where is Chuck Norris when you need him?...
    Have I really been here for three years?
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
  23. axllebeer's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,720 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,980 Global Posts
    PIN
    797F4953 Tab 3
    #48  

    Default

    Sorry. Whatsapp is a good service and I do use it but its not and will never be THE reason to choose one smartphone over another.
    Phone too slow? Then you need Flow.

    The World's Most Fabulous Crack-Droid!
  24. ritesh's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    539 Posts
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    PIN
    DROP SILENCE
    #49  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chrysaurora View Post
    My battery is fine on WhatsApp. Are you using the latest version of WhatsApp? I remember the older version of WhatsApp drained more battery. But the newer version seems just fine.


    It's not free on iPhone. Well, even the first year of WhatsApp is NOT free on iPhone. So, maybe, that's why a lot of iPhone folks don't download/use it. They are fine using iMessage and SMS!
    Correct and Correct.

    Whatsapp on my 9900 is always open and battery is as good as it should be. Around 10 hrs on 3G, with Gtalk, FB updates every 1 hr, Location/geotagging services on.

    My cousins in the US on their Iphones, asked me if I use Whatsapp and whether it was good,since they heard it from someone about it. But after finding it costs money( .99 ) and there is no trial, decided against it. We chat on FB chat, if we have to.
    BB Users from India, check out www.bbindia.net
  25. Roo Zilla's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,339 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,567 Global Posts
    #50  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chrysaurora View Post
    It's not free on iPhone. Well, even the first year of WhatsApp is NOT free on iPhone. So, maybe, that's why a lot of iPhone folks don't download/use it. They are fine using iMessage and SMS!
    At the moment, Whatsapp is the 2nd most downloaded app in the App Store, right after Angry Birds Star Wars. Whatsapp has been in the top 5 for a very long time.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Where is the best place to buy 8300 curve
    By dm7864 in forum BlackBerry Curve 83xx
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-13-2010, 03:13 PM
  2. Where is the best place to buy a Phone??
    By carleone2gz in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-26-2009, 05:32 PM
  3. The biggest reason people are disappointed by the Storm...
    By Rev0lver in forum BlackBerry Storm
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-21-2008, 09:20 AM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-04-2008, 11:24 PM
  5. Where is the cheapest place to buy a bold?
    By allenstu in forum BlackBerry Bold 9000
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-29-2008, 11:09 PM

Posting Permissions