Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 47 of 47
Like Tree5Likes
  1. raino's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    6,450 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,662 Global Posts
    #26  

    Default

    Same here. My BIS push option also says BIS push (error).
  2. johnetix's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    35 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #27  

    Default

    Ok i deleted and reinstalled whatsup and the error dissappeared. I discovered the error occurs when turning push off and then trying to put it back on.

    Anuway, the battery drain remains no matter if it is on, off or with an error.
  3. johnetix's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    35 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #28  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raino View Post
    He seems to be a member of the WhatsApp team reporting his observation.
    Yes you may be right. hel of a saviour we have here. Instead of helping find a solution he just denies the problem saying that it SHOULD work fine.
  4. johnetix's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    35 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #29  

    Default Solved!

    Well i find a workaround the problem. It is not an ideal solution because i had to wipe out everything even the OS (although i backuped my contacts)

    This is what i did:

    1. Backup BB
    2. Wipe out data (make BB as out of the box): options/security/security wipe and select all the boxes
    3. Clean up OS entirely: For this I used a dos program called JL CMDER. Search on how to use it and if you have Win x64 there is also a workaround to make it work.
    4. After this go to blackberry desktop and update the OS to the version that recommends you. In case you see an option to backup data or restore data after installation, make sure to NOT check the box
    5. Once OS installation is finished, in Blackberry Desktop go to restore, and go to the option where you choose what items to restore. Restore ONLY your contacts and BBM contacts. For now dont configure email setup nor anything else.
    6. Install whatsapp, configure it, and use it for a while till you make sure you are not having the battery drain any longer.
    7. Start restoring item by item from the backup file and giving time to test in order to identify which item is causing the issue. However this is risky since some of this items you restore might be the once that initiated this problem.

    I personally recommend to leave it like this and stop on step 6. After that setup your emails, calendar, etc... From the phone as if it was a totally new phone. You might loose some data like having old emails or whatever, but its a fresh start.
  5. raino's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    6,450 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,662 Global Posts
    #30  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnetix View Post
    Well i find a workaround the problem. It is not an ideal solution because i had to wipe out everything even the OS (although i backuped my contacts)

    This is what i did:

    1. Backup BB
    2. Wipe out data (make BB as out of the box): options/security/security wipe and select all the boxes
    3. Clean up OS entirely: For this I used a dos program called JL CMDER. Search on how to use it and if you have Win x64 there is also a workaround to make it work.
    4. After this go to blackberry desktop and update the OS to the version that recommends you. In case you see an option to backup data or restore data after installation, make sure to NOT check the box
    5. Once OS installation is finished, in Blackberry Desktop go to restore, and go to the option where you choose what items to restore. Restore ONLY your contacts and BBM contacts. For now dont configure email setup nor anything else.
    6. Install whatsapp, configure it, and use it for a while till you make sure you are not having the battery drain any longer.
    7. Start restoring item by item from the backup file and giving time to test in order to identify which item is causing the issue. However this is risky since some of this items you restore might be the once that initiated this problem.

    I personally recommend to leave it like this and stop on step 6. After that setup your emails, calendar, etc... From the phone as if it was a totally new phone. You might loose some data like having old emails or whatever, but its a fresh start.
    Seems like too much work to keep a measly communication app
    Andy Winstanley likes this.
  6. Decile's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    86 Posts
    #31  

    Default

    Allright, this confuses me alot.

    First.. we discuss the problem a bit and share opinions and experiences.

    Then an official WhatsApp guy comes along, and explains us his view on the problem and how to deal with it in different situations. Well.. it is awesome this guy is doing this in the first place because he could just give us the middle finger, but to my greater astonishment this guy gets no response whatsoever.. only to get an somewhat angty reply ''You hazz different phone so y r u here.GTFO my forum''.

    How.. the .. is that helpfull to anyone of us? Anyway.. following up was a seventytwo pages long explanation how to get ''rid'' of the problem. You wiped your device! How does someone know it was a WhatsApp problem to begin with?!


    To me.. this is very rude, confuses me alot, and is not helping anybody.
    However I still want to thank the guy from the WhatsApp devs to reply to us in a very friendly and honest manner. So thank you.
  7. raino's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    6,450 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,662 Global Posts
    #32  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Decile View Post
    to my greater astonishment this guy gets no response whatsoever.. only to get an somewhat angty reply ''You hazz different phone so y r u here.GTFO my forum''.
    Agreed. He shouldn't have been told to bug off. He was simply trying to say that this app has been tested on many BBs (including the 9900, and, I'm guessing, the 9780) and they haven't had any issues.

    Quote Originally Posted by Decile View Post
    You wiped your device! How does someone know it was a WhatsApp problem to begin with?!
    I agree wiping the phone is a bit excessive to get rid of the battery drainage. As far as blaming Whatsapp, a LOT of members have been complaining about reduced battery life (check the 3rd party apps forum also.) Also, in this thread, what's common amongst all posters experiencing reduced battery life is Whatsapp. Problem solving dictates working backwards from what's known.
  8. dkonigsberg_wa's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    254 Posts
    #33  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Decile View Post
    However I still want to thank the guy from the WhatsApp devs to reply to us in a very friendly and honest manner. So thank you.
    You're very welcome. While many of the more common end-user issues are best left up to our support folks, do I find it quite useful to monitor the forums from time to time for an unfiltered view of what experiences people are having with the app. I hope everyone also understands that I cannot allow myself to become drawn into a heated argument in this setting.

    We actually do test WhatsApp on a wide variety of BlackBerry phones, and all of our test phones get phenomenal battery life. Of course these phones are also running nothing but WhatsApp. My personal 9900 gets poor battery life regardless of whether or not WhatsApp is installed, though its also running a lot of other apps.
    Thanked by:
    vscpsbrd (03-01-2012) 
  9. Decile's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    86 Posts
    #34  

    Default

    Though I want to apologize for my rude language in some places, however this was all due to frustration.

    I love WhatsApp for what it is, however it still has some shortcomings (awkward status input and viewing, ''show what i'm listening'' feature, avatar bladiebla), but I'm confident that it will continue to be the most popular cross platform messaging app.


    I also love the fact that a developer of a cross platform app is using a BlackBerry, now that's awesome.
  10. pkcable's Avatar


    Posts
    28,478 Posts
    Global Posts
    33,087 Global Posts
    PIN
    PIN:K Floyd!
    #35  

    Default

    Folks,

    I came upon this thread because I TOO am having battery drainage issues on my device, which happens to be a 9930. This thread came up during my search. Seems to me that a thread about an App belongs in the BB Apps forum, where I have just moved it. Since this app can be used by many BB devices and is NOT specific to the 9780, it's wrong of us to just confine the help to one device forum!

    I would also like to mention, that here at CrackBerry we focus on the helping of each other, and we welcome help from any source. And if someone from the company themselves posts to help, that is fantasic. I was tempted to issue a warning the person who told him to "bug off" BUT i'm going to let this message just serve as a reminder to us all.
    raino likes this.
  11. raino's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    6,450 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,662 Global Posts
    #36  

    Default

    My battery life has significantly improved on 9780 OS 6.0.0.722. Much better than it was on .723 actually.
  12. vscpsbrd's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    1 Posts
    #37  

    Default

    I have a "new" problem with WA in my 9900. Everytime i restart the device, the WA app doesnt start. To be more specific; I can actually open WA but it doesnt "restart" and stays stuck on stage 1 of the start procedure, and the only solution is to delete it, restart (which i do by pressing ALT Shift Del) and then reinstall. Its a lot boring!, Can you, dkonigsberg_wa , or any of you, help me figure this out? can we expect an update any time soon.....im almost starting to looj for alternatives (KIK?)...but i DONT want to.

    As you all know, evey time you update etc etc you have to restart the device, so its a big Pain to keep on reinstalling WA every single time

    PS: im a long time BB and WA fan (to comunicate with the ithings people...) and i depend on WA for my everyday life...HELP
  13. dkonigsberg_wa's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    254 Posts
    #38  

    Default

    First suggestion is to try installing the latest beta. (URL is in my signature.)

    If you are still having issues, I suggest contacting our support folks. (Address is in my signature.)
  14. CatlinFD's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,556 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,572 Global Posts
    PIN
    24E2B9CC
    #39  

    Default

    It is indeed WhatsApp & Facebook Messenger causing drains.
    Removed both and boom, perfect battery life.

    So now Im installing the Beta OTA to see.
  15. peargood's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    272 Posts
    PIN
    280B6AC9
    #40  

    Default

    I've had Whatsapp since my 9700 days and never really suffered from battery drain, though I have to agree that the 9900 just doesn't have enough juice.
    One of the ways I conserve battery is to switch to 2G connection and recently invested in a spare battery.
    Mad Hatter: Have I gone mad?
    Alice: Im afraid so. Youre entirely bonkers. But Ill tell you a secret. All the best people are.
  16. ridley388's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    1 Posts
    #41  

    Default

    Hello! I know this is an old topic but I'm having the same problem here. I have a Curve 9300, and I installed many versions of WhatsApp. I'm on 2.7.8807 now (the latest beta), upgraded from stable (7907 i think it was) and still have this battery issue. I tried uninstalling WhatsApp, and left the phone one night with GTalk running, and the battery was still at full power. Then at morning reinstalled WhatsApp and i only have 6-8 hours of battery, even if I don't use the phone.

    Is there any solution on this?
  17. antikorr's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    293 Posts
    #42  

    Default

    Back to this thread again to report that the draining is still there with the latest stable version of WhatsApp for Bold 9900 OS 7.1. Alas. Gonna try the latest beta. Fingers crossed.
  18. Ghizali Ahmed's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    2 Posts
    #43  

    Default Same issue

    I am also having same problem. I am using BB Torch 9800. It was working fine before installing Whatsapp. Now my battery does not even last 12 hrs... But after uninstalling it .. battery is working fine...
  19. dkonigsberg_wa's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    254 Posts
    #44  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghizali Ahmed View Post
    I am also having same problem. I am using BB Torch 9800. It was working fine before installing Whatsapp. Now my battery does not even last 12 hrs... But after uninstalling it .. battery is working fine...
    Based on your other post here, I'm wondering if you have a full BIS plan (BlackBerry Internet Services) for your phone. BIS (or BES) is necessary for BlackBerry's push service to work.

    If you don't have push services, WhatsApp will switch to a mode where it keeps its connection to our servers open a lot longer. This will cause increased battery drain. If your phone does have BIS, and can use BlackBerry push services, then our connections will be much shorter and you shouldn't notice such an effect on battery life.
  20. Ny_X's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    1 Posts
    #45  

    Default

    Hey,I'm using blackberry curve 9360 installed whatsapp and faced same battery drainage issue..I just want to ask you did you try it on BB-Curves?? and even if u guys tested it on BB..but still peoples are having alot of issues c'nt you guys do something to help us?? sorry,if i'm being rude..but the thing is i want to use whats app..but issue won't allow it..
  21. danb1974's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    4 Posts
    #46  

    Default

    Just a "me too"

    Tried whatsapp on my 9780 (BES, not BIS). Drains battery, had to recharge almost daily, so after a couple of days I've deleted whatsapp.
  22. JahnviB's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    2 Posts
    #47  

    Default

    This has also started happening to me since Sunday (along with other whatsapp issues) - just thought I would mention it is happening to me too.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions