I have one big Whatsapp concern, why is the update never in Appworld?

I download it and as soon as I do it prompts me to an update but the update is not in Appworld, instead it redirects you to a browser download link.

Are they doing this to bypass RIM's security Appworld checks? Sounds a bit dodgy to me.

What do you think?
    01-14-13 06:54 AM
    It's not a problem, I download whatsapp through my browser all the time, cause I use the whatsapp beta version most of the time.

The thing with Blackberry Appworld is that Whatsapp renews their app pretty often, and by the time they've submitted a new version to Blackberry Appworld and it's downloadable through the Appworld they already have newer version. So it's more a time issue than it's because they want to bypass RIM.
    01-14-13 07:30 AM
    It's not a problem, I download whatsapp through my browser all the time, cause I use the whatsapp beta version most of the time.

The thing with Blackberry Appworld is that Whatsapp renews their app pretty often, and by the time they've submitted a new version to Blackberry Appworld and it's downloadable through the Appworld they already have newer version. So it's more a time issue than it's because they want to bypass RIM.
    It doesn't change the fact that it's not aproved by RIM.
    01-14-13 07:36 AM

It looks like the last time Whatsapp have put an app in Appworld was 2010. I'm starting to think I'm right and this is a real concern.
    Attached Thumbnails Whatsapp Concern-edshot-20-mon-20jan-2014-202013-201.37.12-20pm-.jpg  
    01-14-13 07:38 AM
    Its the anti-bbm, so nothing about it is rim approved haha. They only want it because its popular. Crossing my fingers that bbm goes cross platform. We need REAL, SECURE messaging
    01-14-13 07:47 AM
    You guys should try Touch (formerly Ping Chat). It's a very good multi-platform chat app and runs very smoothly on BlackBerry, barely uses up the battery, and doesn't slow down the device whatsoever. Also, it's very nicely integrated with BBOS; I've been very impressed with it.
    The best part is that unlike Whatapp, it doesn't invade your address book and you can choose who to add to your Friends list.
    01-14-13 07:56 AM
    u do realize if bbm goes cross platform youre going to lose the secure part of that... what makes your blackberry secure is the fact that it talks to rim's server first before it goes to the network and ultimately to someone else's blackberry. So im not real sure u want bbm cross platform for secure messaging
    01-14-13 08:25 AM
    Its the anti-bbm, so nothing about it is rim approved haha. They only want it because its popular. Crossing my fingers that bbm goes cross platform. We need REAL, SECURE messaging
    u do realize if bbm goes cross platform youre going to lose the secure part of that... what makes your blackberry secure is the fact that it talks to rim's server first before it goes to the network and ultimately to someone else's blackberry. So im not real sure u want bbm cross platform for secure messaging
    01-14-13 08:27 AM
    Hi... Do U think U can give me a link for ver2.9.471? i've upgraded to the official version and it was waaayy laggy than the bets version. Tried googling it but to no avail..
    01-14-13 08:38 AM
    So what you're saying is that 3rd party software can't talk to servers? I think we will be ok, haha
    01-14-13 08:45 AM
    It looks like the last time Whatsapp have put an app in Appworld was 2010. I'm starting to think I'm right and this is a real concern.
    I believe the date shown is when it was first put into App World, not the date of the last update.
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    01-14-13 09:09 AM
    The reason the latest version is not always in AppWorld, is because that approach is not conducive to frequent updates. The majority of users update via AppWorld, so we like to keep that as the most stable published version of our app.

Our release process usually works like this:
    • Beta OTA is regularly updated as we fix bugs and implement new features, sometimes quite frequently
    • Release OTA is updated when we feel beta is stable enough
    • When the release OTA is solid, and doesn't have any notable issues, we push an update to AppWorld

This is all done in cooperation with our server and support teams, so that we only update our AppWorld version when we're ready for the entire userbase to upgrade.
    ria__x likes this.
    01-14-13 11:38 AM
    WhatsApp is a great app but in my experience, I've found it to be a huge resource hog. Forget that it is over 5MB in size, it is an enormous battery hog. And, if you forget to completely exit out of it, it runs in the background sucking your battery dry! I would like to use as I have some good friends that moved from SO CA to Cabo and have iPhones. They only use What'sApp and apparently it doesn't run their batteries down--only mine-LOL! I've had it on and off of my 9810 so many times I can't tell you. Even downloaded from their/your website and still the same result. Bummer!!!
    01-14-13 03:07 PM
    The reason the latest version is not always in AppWorld, is because that approach is not conducive to frequent updates. The majority of users update via AppWorld, so we like to keep that as the most stable published version of our app.

Our release process usually works like this:
    • Beta OTA is regularly updated as we fix bugs and implement new features, sometimes quite frequently
    • Release OTA is updated when we feel beta is stable enough
    • When the release OTA is solid, and doesn't have any notable issues, we push an update to AppWorld

This is all done in cooperation with our server and support teams, so that we only update our AppWorld version when we're ready for the entire userbase to upgrade.
    any possibility i can download the 2.9.471 version? it works great with my set up...
    i've downloaded this version before and it works great without any lags...
    and once prompted to do the upgrade, i upgraded only to find out that the latest version is way laggy than the beta version. any idea?
    01-15-13 12:40 AM