Hello (I live in the UK),

I have been shown whatapp, I currently use pingchat to keep my text usage low when I talk to friends in UK.

I was shown Whatapp and my friend in Holland was there already when I installed it (She has a Nokia Oki (or something like that)).

She said 'hello' and I responded but then I wondered how much that just cost me or her?

Is there any cost for us doing that other than our data usage being chipped ever so slightly down? If she visits the UK can she still use whatapp without her getting a massive bill?

This app looks great but I don't fancy her or me getting stung with a nasty bill at the end.

Thanks for any light you can shed on this.
    05-19-11 10:42 AM
    No cost apart from data commitments.
    I use whatsapp as a bbm alternative to all my friends who do not have BBs and there is no extra bill. It is miles better than pingchat
    05-19-11 10:47 AM
    So me texting my friend in Holland is (near as damn it) free?
    05-19-11 10:55 AM
    So me texting my friend in Holland is (near as damn it) free?
    You pay for the data usage, depending on your plan. That's it, as already stated by cabletow

The best source would be the WhatsApp Messenger site :

How it works

WhatsApp Messenger is a cross-platform mobile messaging app which allows you to exchange messages without having to pay for SMS. WhatsApp Messenger is available for iPhone, BlackBerry, Android and Nokia and yes, those phones can all message each other! Because WhatsApp Messenger uses the same internet data plan that you use for email and web browsing, there is no cost to message and stay in touch with your friends.

In addition to basic messaging iPhone, Android, Nokia and BlackBerry WhatsApp Messenger users can send each other unlimited images, video and audio media messages.
    05-19-11 11:32 AM
    Excellent and thank you for the link also. Will pop across there for a visit and a read.
    05-19-11 12:15 PM
    Whatsapp is really great. It supports more platfrom than the other BBM alternatives. I got plenty of contacts still using symbian (still has the largest userbase, though declining there's no reason to exclude it, especially when those services claims 'for all platforms') and the symbian version is no slouch either, new version has groups and supports all media transfer and gps locations.
    05-20-11 03:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD