Over time, we will get a usable OS. So what happens then? We look towards the apps, and at the moment App World is not cutting it.

- The featured apps rarely change and are not exciting.

- There are way, WAY too many paid apps that are more than just $2.99

- Most useful apps are still found on Crackberry or other locations and are NOT on the App Store. Quicklaunch? Screenlock? BBWeather? Google Maps? Nope...is the pricing structure, where free apps cost the developer to post, hurting the store?

- It's impossible to tell if your app has an upgrade...not easy at all to check.

- Still lack of compatibility across devices.

- No section for new apps, making browsing useless.

Hopefully with 5.0 RIM focuses more on the App World functionality with their devices. What do you all think it will take to finally get this thing going? Sure, it's early, but what I see lacks promise...
    05-04-09 04:28 PM
    Patience my young Padawon! Difficult to see, the future it is.
    05-04-09 04:29 PM
    All they need is that newly added tab and I will be happy
    05-04-09 04:32 PM
    stop allowing crappy apps they know sucks and is basically fail be let in app world. Lower the price to 99 cents for minimum apps *if the devs want to eat then they can have it at 2.99* but for the devs that feel its too much then it should be allowed.

A specific amount of negative reviews/ratings using different PINs of course will have the product removed.

RIM to get more higher developers to take the storm and phones like it seriously like apple did. *there games were fail in the beginning too until they rallied the big companies*
    05-04-09 05:09 PM
    Making the damn thing a little faster would be a start. I hate how the phone becomes unresponsive while all of the little icons are loading.
    05-04-09 05:29 PM
    appworld will grow... just give it some time, and more developers to make more apps
    05-04-09 05:42 PM
    What I would like is the ability to browse thw offerings in a browser on a pc, see all that they have, then use appworld to go get any I actually want.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-04-09 05:43 PM
    stop allowing crappy apps they know sucks and is basically fail be let in app world. Lower the price to 99 cents for minimum apps *if the devs want to eat then they can have it at 2.99* but for the devs that feel its too much then it should be allowed.

A specific amount of negative reviews/ratings using different PINs of course will have the product removed.

RIM to get more higher developers to take the storm and phones like it seriously like apple did. *there games were fail in the beginning too until they rallied the big companies*
    no doubt

+1
    05-05-09 08:21 AM
    Hey one question that Ive been wanting to know for awhile:

Does the app world detect what phone your using so you dont accidently buy somthing thats not for your specific device ???

And if it doesnt thats one of the first things that should be worked on because thats more important than anything.
    05-05-09 08:28 AM
    Hey one question that Ive been wanting to know for awhile:

Does the app world detect what phone your using so you dont accidently buy somthing thats not for your specific device ???

And if it doesnt thats one of the first things that should be worked on because thats more important than anything.
    No, there should be a device detection for the app world, but I believe I remember reading somewhere that they were having trouble getting that to work. There have been stories about people buying software that didn't work for their device.

One of the programmers said that it is up to them to specify the device it will run on, but what is to stop them from claiming it works on all Blackberries? I agree something should be done.
    05-05-09 08:42 AM
    I don't want it to load icons when I browse apps since it hangs so badly. I don't get why the app is so terribly slow. It just doesn't make the slightest sense since all other apps with similar interfaces run just fine.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-05-09 05:34 PM
    It needs to be faster. I like having screen shots, that cool. But the BIG BIG BIG thing is we need 99cent apps. Nobody wants to pay 3 dollars for an app we can get a free OTA from here.
    05-07-09 09:12 PM
    i think it will be successful but in a VERY long time. it needs to many improvements for it to change overnight.
    05-07-09 09:35 PM
    No, there should be a device detection for the app world, but I believe I remember reading somewhere that they were having trouble getting that to work. There have been stories about people buying software that didn't work for their device.

One of the programmers said that it is up to them to specify the device it will run on, but what is to stop them from claiming it works on all Blackberries? I agree something should be done.
    Ummm I'm pretty sure the store recognizes what phone you have because my girlfriend who has a curve has a higher number of apps for certain categories, and less in some. There is obviously a difference based upon the phone or OS
    05-07-09 09:44 PM
    Define successful?

If by successful you mean iPhone numbers, it will never be at that point.

I know I had 16,000 downloads for one of my free apps last month and I'm no where near the top 15 apps. I would call that kind of successful.
    05-07-09 09:48 PM

There is a device detection, the problem is lies in the developers. I can upload an app and say it works with every phone even if it doesn't. I don't think RIM has the time to test every app on every phone though. I have 3 different BB's and every app world is different based on the device.
    05-07-09 09:49 PM
    Define successful?

I know I had 16,000 downloads for one of my free apps last month and I'm no where near the top 15 apps. I would call that kind of successful.
    I wish we could see the stats like that for every app when we click on it for details.

I would also like a little more functionality options, i.e. being able to sort by different methods, like newest, most downloaded for specific types.
    05-07-09 09:50 PM
    I wish we could see the stats like that for every app when we click on it for details.

I would also like a little more functionality options, i.e. being able to sort by different methods, like newest, most downloaded for specific types.
    I agree, it's far from perfect. I think users should be able to search by developer, newest, top apps in each category etc.
    05-07-09 09:53 PM
    Define successful?

Unless RIM goes through a lot of work on the Storm. If our Storms were improved to the extent that all of its features were optimized, it would be amazing.
    05-07-09 09:54 PM
    I agree, it's far from perfect. I think users should be able to search by developer, newest, top apps in each category etc.
    The one thing they HAVE to change is the ability to sort by the newest...

Trying to sort through 200+ games to figure out what are the ~10 new apps they just added is a time-consuming pain in the a$s!
    05-07-09 09:58 PM
    Define successful?

First off i want to say thank you for all the work that you do. Cause your stuff is pretty awesome.

Just think if you just got 30 cents a download you would have made $4800. I know it was a free app so you have more downloads but at 49 cents, 99 cents nobody would really think twice about downloading. But when you look at the slidelock for what 2.99 now. Or you can go to stormgrounds and get it for free.

I appreciate the apps you spend hour on and then post up for free (donations always welcome)

If app world could just make them cheaper or have a larger selection of 99 cents apps i think it could really take off.
    05-07-09 10:00 PM
    dmg is the f@@king man without him some apps wouldnt even have been possible in the beinging go storm grounds
    05-07-09 10:08 PM
    There is a device detection, the problem is lies in the developers. I can upload an app and say it works with every phone even if it doesn't. I don't think RIM has the time to test every app on every phone though. I have 3 different BB's and every app world is different based on the device.
    i can testify to this also. I have an 8830, 8330 and 9530, all of which have different things...
    05-07-09 10:27 PM
    BlackBerry App World: One month later : Boy Genius Report
    Last edited by Detective M Downs; 05-07-09 at 10:43 PM.
    05-07-09 10:36 PM
    I am going to work on writing applications during the summer, hopefully I will be able to create something good. The problem with current applications is that several of them are good to have, but there are too many. I am certain that a lot of developers are waiting for a new OS so that they can create real applications that take up more megabytes.
    05-07-09 11:46 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD