I just don't get it. Why would someone need Google Voice or Skype on a cell phone?

I do wish Skype was made for BlackBerry only for the Skype IM.

But I just don't get the point of needing the VOIP for a mobile... Enlighten me please.
    12-15-09 03:18 AM
    I believe you meant google talk and not google voice. Google voice is an online voice mailbox while google talk is like skype.

The reason why people would want it is for the ability to call internationally without being charged long distance.

There you go. You have been enlightened. :]
    12-15-09 03:36 AM
    You also obtain a second number on the same phone. Pretty convenient for business people. I'm just waiting for them to release numbers for my local area code before I sign up.
    12-15-09 03:54 AM
    VOIP calling is way cheaper than paying international long distance rates on any cellphone on any carrier.

Plus, Google Voice enables someone to have just one phone number to consolidate multiple phone lines. You can configure Google Voice to ring your home, work phone, or cell phone or even all of them at once.

You can also save minutes and money by adding your Google Voice number to your myfavs or top 5 and basically get unlimited calling.

In short, Google Voice is pretty cool.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-15-09 04:02 AM
    So you can call using both Google Voice and Google Talk? I'm reading how Google Voice has a dialer.. So why would you need Google Talk?

Argh both apps are available on the BB... I just don't get the differences still.
    12-15-09 04:08 AM
    you can also use the SMS service ... is free.. so you don't need yours...
    also the voice mail is pretty cool...
    i was in the process of trying to learn on the storm 1.. then i got the storm 2... still gotta do that trick and try to install it
    12-15-09 04:09 AM
    google talk is an IM service...
    google voice is like a phone... you have a number.. you can call .. SMS... use the voice mail system..
    or even for me.. i still have a california number but i moved to the east coast.. so i got a local number here.. but still have my CA number (had for 10 years, and hope i will have for the rest of my life)
    12-15-09 04:12 AM
    Transcribed voicemail. I have all my vm forwarded to gvoice and I rarely have to listen to them. I can get the gist of what somebody is trying to say just by reading the transcription even if the voice-to-text is inaccurate.
    12-15-09 04:13 AM
    google talk is an IM service...
    google voice is like a phone... you have a number.. you can call .. SMS... use the voice mail system..
    or even for me.. i still have a california number but i moved to the east coast.. so i got a local number here.. but still have my CA number (had for 10 years, and hope i will have for the rest of my life)
    LOL see... Google Talk is an IM client AND VOIP service!

Google Talk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And Google Voice ALSO allows calls

Google Voice - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    12-15-09 04:15 AM
    I think only people in USA use voicemail. I know in Europe or at least here in Croatia this is no big deal and people doesn't use it. If you wanna someone to call you just send sms, email or FB inbox and they will know you why you need them...
    12-15-09 04:18 AM
    So you can call using both Google Voice and Google Talk? I'm reading how Google Voice has a dialer.. So why would you need Google Talk?

Argh both apps are available on the BB... I just don't get the differences still.
    You can make calls with Google Voice. Yes, the Google Voice has a dialer so you can place calls using your Google Voice account/number.

You cannot make calls with Google Talk. Google Talk is for chat. Think of Google Talk as being like AOL instant messenger or MSN messenger, but Google Talk is used to chat between Google users.

Google Voice is for *voice* calls and voicemail and even sms services. Google Talk is for chatting with people online or on your blackberry.

Maybe if they named it Google Chat things would be less confusing between the two services.

12-15-09 04:18 AM
    You can make calls with Google Voice. Yes, the Google Voice has a dialer so you can place calls using your Google Voice account/number.

You cannot make calls with Google Talk. Google Talk is for chat. Think of Google Talk as being like AOL instant messenger or MSN messenger, but Google Talk is used to chat between Google users.

Google Voice is for *voice* calls and voicemail and even sms services. Google Talk is for chatting with people online or on your blackberry.

Maybe if they named it Google Chat things would be less confusing between the two services.

Google Talk may not have VOIP on the BlackBerry. But Google Talk IS a VOIP/IM program. I have it installed on my computer just now. Exactly like Skype, BOTH VOIP and IM.

Even states this on the Google Talk website.
    12-15-09 04:27 AM
    Google Talk may not have VOIP on the BlackBerry. But Google Talk IS a VOIP/IM program. I have it installed on my computer just now. Exactly like Skype, BOTH VOIP and IM.

is different... google talk is like video chatting... i believe thats new on google talk...
    google voice.. is just like talking on the phone.. just with a different number...
    12-15-09 04:39 AM

The VOIP for Google Talk refers to PC-to-PC calls. The blackberry app for Google Talk does not include VOIP calling. As far as I know there is still no true VOIP capability for blackberry yet. Google recently purchased a VOIP company and hopefully we see this feature enabled for Google Voice users sometime soon. Otherwise, people are still itching for a blackberry Skype app.

12-15-09 04:42 AM
    I've added Google Voice as a favorite in my browser. How can I add it to "Top 5."

Don't see the GV App in App World.

Also, if I sms through GV, aren't all texts free? I'm being charged for receiving.
    12-23-09 10:34 AM
    VOIP calling is way cheaper than paying international long distance rates on any cellphone on any carrier.

Plus, Google Voice enables someone to have just one phone number to consolidate multiple phone lines. You can configure Google Voice to ring your home, work phone, or cell phone or even all of them at once.

You can also save minutes and money by adding your Google Voice number to your myfavs or top 5 and basically get unlimited calling.

In short, Google Voice is pretty cool.

I make a ton of calls so google voice allows me to save money as I have added my google voice number to my top five and reduced my every day mins by 35%. The program is saving me like 20 bucks a month on my cell phone bill as I reduced my calling plan mins down to only 900 anytime mins a month.

12-23-09 10:42 AM
    holden190: Also, if I sms through GV, aren't all texts free? I'm being charged for receiving.
    Reply With Quote I am having the same issue, does anyone know if there is a way around this?
    01-29-10 09:18 AM
    Would someone mind please sending me an invite to google voice? I have been trying to get one for a long time. You could PM me or send it to [email protected]. Thank you so much in advance. :-)
    Brandon
    01-29-10 10:01 AM
    Waiting for that invite

01-29-10 10:03 AM
    Wait so I could call Mexico with no long distance charges ?

01-29-10 12:23 PM

Yahoo Messenger is the same. You can make calls using the PC, but the Yahoo Messenger app for the BlackBerry is strictly for IM.

Google Talk is only VoIP for PCs, not BlackBerrys. Google Voice is the VoIP service that works on the BlackBerry (or other phones).
    01-29-10 12:34 PM
    I just don't get it. Why would someone need Google Voice or Skype on a cell phone?

I do wish Skype was made for BlackBerry only for the Skype IM.

But I just don't get the point of needing the VOIP for a mobile... Enlighten me please.
    I too asked the same question about a month ago and once it was explained to me I couldn't wait to get my Google Voice #. For now it is only available by invitation.

https://www.google.com/accounts/Serv...account/signin

• You can have the Google number forwarded to as many other phones as you like. You can have it forward to your home, work and cell phone all at the same time. So lets say you're home and get a call. You were heading out but don't want to cut the call short and don't have time to hang around. While on the call you hit the # and your cell phone rings. When you answer your cell phone you are immediately connected to the call in progress without that person knowing. Now you can leave and continue your call.
    • Voicemail messages are converted to text and sent via email (they don't do a great job)
    • You can place a call from any of the numbers you have assigned to your Google Voice number. If the person your are calling has caller ID they see your Google Voice number NOT your home, cell or work number.
    • You can get a number with almost any area code, so if you have friends or family in other parts of the country it will be a local call to them.
    • You can generate phone calls and SMS right from your PC
    • You can call anywhere in the world. Prices range from FREE to $2.00

If you get an invite try it.
    01-29-10 12:55 PM
    I too asked the same question about a month ago and once it was explained to me I couldn't wait to get my Google Voice #. For now it is only available by invitation.

https://www.google.com/accounts/Serv...account/signin

• You can have the Google number forwarded to as many other phones as you like. You can have it forward to your home, work and cell phone all at the same time. So lets say you're home and get a call. You were heading out but don't want to cut the call short and don't have time to hang around. While on the call you hit the # and your cell phone rings. When you answer your cell phone you are immediately connected to the call in progress without that person knowing. Now you can leave and continue your call.
    • Voicemail messages are converted to text and sent via email (they don't do a great job)
    • You can place a call from any of the numbers you have assigned to your Google Voice number. If the person your are calling has caller ID they see your Google Voice number NOT your home, cell or work number.
    • You can get a number with almost any area code, so if you have friends or family in other parts of the country it will be a local call to them.
    • You can generate phone calls and SMS right from your PC
    • You can call anywhere in the world. Prices range from FREE to $2.00

If you get an invite try it.
    I still don't get it.

I've been using Google Voice for nearly 2 years. However, the only reason I use GV is to call free to US numbers. I log on to the Google Voice website from a PC, enter the US number I want to call, choose the telephone number I want to use to take the call and then click on [Connect]. I do not use the voicemail and transcription features of GV, nor do I use the fact that "you have one number for life" or the SMS feature of GV. Now that that's out, does installing Google Voice on my BlackBerry enable me to make free US calls from my BlackBerry? My cell phone plan has no "5 Faves" feature or any similar one.

Thanks.
    02-20-10 02:06 AM
    The ability to have 2 phone numbers coming to the same cell phone is genius. I own 2 businesses and give out my google voice number to business clients, if i am on vacation....i can forward it to my office phone where they are taken care of.
    02-20-10 08:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD