I accidently deleted the free version of Docs to go from my 8900 and I can still view the email attachments in word, pdf and powerpoint. I did notice that on UMA the browsing speed has increased considerably since I deleted the docs to go.

Anyone else notice this?
    11-21-09 04:21 PM
    I accidently deleted the free version of Docs to go from my 8900 and I can still view the email attachments in word, pdf and powerpoint. I did notice that on UMA the browsing speed has increased considerably since I deleted the docs to go.
    Something odd about being able to view docs without the app. There is no connection with browsing speeds on UMA and Docs2Go any more than there would be a relationship to removing Microsoft Office from your computer and seeing an increase in browsing response on I.E. 8.
    11-21-09 04:35 PM
    Something odd about being able to view docs without the app. There is no connection with browsing speeds on UMA and Docs2Go any more than there would be a relationship to removing Microsoft Office from your computer and seeing an increase in browsing response on I.E. 8.
    I thought exactly the same. My understanding was that this app is needed to view the documents, but thats not correct.

I know what you are saying about the browser speed, but I have experimented by installing the docs to go and checking the web browsing speed on UMA and it is definitely slower. I am not a technical person, so I dont know why it is.
    11-21-09 04:48 PM
    Hmm that's interesting. I use docs to go (demo ver) from time to time but I didn't realize that you could view the docs even without that app. I might have to check it out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-21-09 04:50 PM
    well when you have an attachment...it gives you two options "view" and "edit with documents to go"...so I would assume you don't need docs to go to simply view...as for why.... lol
    11-21-09 04:51 PM
    Hmm that's interesting. I use docs to go (demo ver) from time to time but I didn't realize that you could view the docs even without that app. I might have to check it out.

same here! :/
    11-21-09 05:08 PM
    well when you have an attachment...it gives you two options "view" and "edit with documents to go"...so I would assume you don't need docs to go to simply view...as for why.... lol
    perfectly said.
    12-06-09 12:33 PM
    Editing is only available with the paid version of D2G. They trick you into saying that you can "read and edit" Microsoft Office documents. Well yes that's true, but with the free version that comes with the BB, you can only read.
    12-06-09 12:36 PM
    Documents opened in email use attachment services to open and view. If you want to edit those documents you need to use a 3rd party application like docs to go. I have to say I use Docs to Go a lot, so much that I bought the premium version.

12-06-09 12:39 PM
    Editing is only available with the paid version of D2G. They trick you into saying that you can "read and edit" Microsoft Office documents. Well yes that's true, but with the free version that comes with the BB, you can only read.
    In the free version, when you open a document, press the menu key and select edit and you'll be able to edit the document. Also, when you first open docs to go you'll get sheets to go for excel sheets when you register the application - press the menu key and select register.

12-06-09 12:42 PM
    Another handy trick is to send yourself a blank document. Save this to your card. Then when you use that document to create a new document, press the menu key and select save as and give it a new name. This will save the new document/sheet, and also leave the original blank document or sheet on your card.

12-06-09 12:48 PM
    In the free version, when you open a document, press the menu key and select edit and you'll be able to edit the document. Also, when you first open docs to go you'll get sheets to go for excel sheets when you register the application - press the menu key and select register.

hmmmm....will have to try that. if that's the case, then why would anyone purchase the premium version (although i think it gives you PDF to Go as well, not sure).
    12-06-09 12:55 PM
    hmmmm....will have to try that. if that's the case, then why would anyone purchase the premium version (although i think it gives you PDF to Go as well, not sure).
    That technique is good, I use Docs to Go quite a lot to convert memos and documents I write into the MS Office format and put on my PC when I'm out and about. I use the technique of editing a document and using Save As... to create new ones.

The full version of Docs to Go has more features, like font support etc. Also the version of PDF to Go is not actually part of the Docs to Go free package. The BlackBerry Attachment Service can open PDFs to preview but PDFs on the device media storage for example (not attachments) require the native app, which isn't included unless you go Premium with Docs to Go or have another application that can open PDFs.
    12-06-09 01:43 PM
    Another handy trick is to send yourself a blank document. Save this to your card. Then when you use that document to create a new document, press the menu key and select save as and give it a new name. This will save the new document/sheet, and also leave the original blank document or sheet on your card.

I do that! After, I send it back to myself, and then re-format on a comp, and print it out.
    12-07-09 01:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD