First World Problem alert.

I have a Storm1 running 3.0.0.328 running Facebook 1.7.0.18. When I go into Options, both the "BlackBerry Contacts application" and "BlackBerry Calendar application" selections are greyed out. I know why they are. I am under a BES server running v4.1. If we were running v5.0, I could simply set "Disable Organizer Data Access for Social Networking Applications" to FALSE on my user's IT Policy and I would be good to go.

As it were, with v4.1, that is not an option. There are some workarounds on BES v4.1 that could technically work, but I do not have the authority at my workplace to make those modifications as they are global and taint the integrity of our security. The other option is to install the older Facebook v1.5 application, which DOES allow Contact Sync regardless of BES, but that version does not work on my Storm. I encourage anyone with a Storm to try to get it to work; I've placed the installation files here. You will need the .alx file as well as the full Java folder, and you can only install it via BlackBerry Desktop Manager (there is no OTA option). Let me know if you have any luck.

If you do a Google search for this issue, you'll find hundreds of hits. I am well aware that there are other posts on CrackBerry discussing this, but I wanted to make a new, updated one with all information known so far with the hopes that maybe, just maybe, somebody here has discovered a solution? My girlfriend's Curve has it working perfectly, and it bugs me to no end. When she looks at her list of Contacts, it automatically pulls that particular contact's default Facebook profile photograph (if they have a Facebook profile, of course) into her phone. It's just such a sleek, convenient feature, and I'd really like to take advantage of it on my phone, too.
    11-08-09 10:17 PM
    i still dont get full contact sync with BIS only. I have to manually sync about 2/3 of my contacts
    11-08-09 10:27 PM
    Bump. Anyone have new ideas?
    11-09-09 10:19 AM
    72 hour bump.
    11-11-09 06:22 PM
    I too wish I could enable that option in my facebook app. I hope my BES admin will enable it soon. What I did instead was, before finally installing OS 5, I used 4.7 to install 1.5, sync my contacts and assign my contacts from FB to my address if it wasn't done automaticly. This will at least get the current profile pic for all my friends. I then created a backup of my address book and content store (which is where I'm told the pics are stored) to backup. Then I installed OS 5 and restored my backup.

I've switched to the Storm2 and I was able to restore my contacts and profile pics to the Storm2 just fine.
    11-14-09 12:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD