My wife has an Iphone 4 and I just switched back to Blackberry with the Bold 9900. I see a lot of people on these forums in a similar situation so my question is what is a good cross-platform texting app where we can use emoticons and the like?

I hear lots about Whatsapp at least I think that is what it is called. I do know that a few of the emoticons on regular sms text are compatible. Thanks for your help.
    11-28-11 10:48 AM
    Oh oh oh.... I just saw yesterday that a guy did a off comparison chart for this.
    I use whatsapp, and prefer it over the others, but it doesn't show a read receipt. Shows sent and delivered though.

Lemme try to find the Link for you brb...

Ok... Back...

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...needed-672732/
    Last edited by SmakBerry; 11-28-11 at 11:01 AM.
    11-28-11 10:58 AM
    I tried LiveProfile when it was first released, did a pretty decent job
    11-28-11 11:48 AM
    +1 for Whatsapp.
    11-28-11 11:54 AM
    Ping Me is very similar to BBM
    11-28-11 12:22 PM
    If its just you and your wife i would chose e-buddy or ping me over whatsapp... I dislike the design and the emicons on whatsapp.
    But whatsapp is just more widespread among iphone/nokia useres... even people who are not interested in any kind of apps, do sometimes have whatsapp on their phones.
    11-28-11 12:36 PM
    I used whatapp and I'm very satisfied with it.
    11-28-11 12:48 PM
    What's wrong with SMS?
    11-28-11 06:31 PM
    Personally I don't recommend LiveProfile, even though it's a really good app, it drains your phone so quick... It's just my opinion.

Jp.
    11-28-11 06:39 PM
    +1 whatsapp
    11-28-11 06:41 PM
    My wife has an Iphone 4 and I just switched back to Blackberry with the Bold 9900. I see a lot of people on these forums in a similar situation so my question is what is a good cross-platform texting app where we can use emoticons and the like?

I hear lots about Whatsapp at least I think that is what it is called. I do know that a few of the emoticons on regular sms text are compatible. Thanks for your help.
    I use WhatsApp to msg my bro. who is on SG2. But I hear raves about Ping Chat from a friend who is on Android but whose whose wife has a BB. he says that it has a delivery and read confirmation. I have not tried it though.
    11-28-11 06:54 PM
    If you are just wanting to text to her iPhone (stock text app) with your 9900 using emoji, I use CrunchSMS. If you are looking for an alternative to not paying for text then the other apps mentioned should suffice.

mokeiko
    11-29-11 06:36 PM
    whatsapp

i use a 9900 and chat with my sister in holland on her iphone.
    def not as fast a bbm but it's close.
    11-29-11 07:11 PM
    kik has read,delivered and sent notifications.It works on iphone too.I have it on my 9900 and my playbook to chat with the wifey on android.Click on support button for the full skinny. kik.com
    Last edited by SevendustG; 11-29-11 at 07:36 PM.
    11-29-11 07:31 PM
    I use PingMe. It works pretty good on my 9810 to communicate with my wife who uses an iPhone 4S.
    11-29-11 09:18 PM
    I recently started using Google Talk. I like it quite a bit. What's more, if you have a gmail account, you already have an account with all your contacts ready to go. Plus, since it is integrated with gmail, you can continue a chat on another device (laptop, playbook, etc.) if you are logged into gmail.
    11-29-11 09:34 PM
    What's wrong with SMS?
    well for one, its free for carriers but costs around 20$ a month for us to have unlimited use which is just one of the many scams the monopolized wireless industry imposes on its userbase. 2, its limited to 140 or 160 characters, 3, it doesnt show when your contact is typing, has read, or recieved your messages, nor is delivery reliable. and 4, did i mention its free for carriers?

im currently using whatsapp on my iphone to talk cross platform, but i dont know anyone that still uses a BB so its all android and ios users. however, i have it installed on my 9930, and while the UI is about as archaic as they come and costs twice what the iphone version does (RIMs Trademark) it still offers nice functionality, group messaging, broadcast messaging, and personal statuses.

before i tried whatsapp i was using KIK which is a little better in the regard that it shows read receipts and allows for usernames and profile pics. however, after using it for group messaging extensively, the group all experienced battery drain, which is why we jumped to whatsapp.

its not bbm, but its close, and it has way better and way more smileys that work cross platform which is nice. just wish they had the BB nerd.
    11-29-11 10:12 PM
    Oh oh oh.... I just saw yesterday that a guy did a off comparison chart for this.
    I use whatsapp, and prefer it over the others, but it doesn't show a read receipt. Shows sent and delivered though.

Lemme try to find the Link for you brb...

Ok... Back...

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...needed-672732/
    Whatsapp actually something akin to read receipt...one checkmark beside your post indicates delivery, two checkmarks indicates the recipient has read your post

not as cool as bbm but still aight
    11-29-11 11:58 PM
    watsapp all the way.
    11-30-11 12:55 AM
    Whatsapp is very popular around these regions. No one uses anything else here so I'm not familiar with the other ones but the layout of that app is ridiculously amateuristic so I can't believe everyone's not using something a bit more developed.
    11-30-11 03:04 AM

I have a question about this cross platform. Do all parties have to have the same app? Can someone using whatapps message a pingme user? If not it would be a pita to try and get all your contacts and frends on the same boat or at least for me it would be.
    11-30-11 03:20 AM
    Live Profile is still not optimized for Bold 9900/30, PingChat looks ok but it's lagging and at least on my Bold 9900 I had problems with messages being sent but never delivered. For Whatsapp eventually you'll need to pay. I'm using Kik now. And although it's not officially embraced by RIM which appears in few minor flaws, it does look good and it's lightning fast with all the send, delivered and read indicators. It won't let you send a picture for now. Hope they will come to terms with RIM and it's gonna change in future releases. One more thing... It may be good or bad, it depends how you look at it. You need to have data plan to use kik cause it's not going through BIS. Although it might be potentially bad it was the only messenger that actually worked during BIS outage. To sum up, there is no perfect multiplatform messenger for BlackBerry just yet.
    11-30-11 04:29 AM
    ping chat, liveprofile, whatsapp, pingme or just a few.

I prefer LiveProfile the most, only reason is that you can login to another device with your account info very fluid
    11-30-11 07:43 AM
    Whatsapp actually something akin to read receipt...one checkmark beside your post indicates delivery, two checkmarks indicates the recipient has read your post

not as cool as bbm but still aight

No, the second check mark does not mean It's read.
    It even states in the faq that it means that's It's been delivered the recipients device.
    11-30-11 07:56 AM
    There is a new crossplatform messaging app called Hookt (hookt.com). It is pretty nice and look good.
    11-30-11 09:33 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD