If apps are designed for specific OSes (such as a version for 4.3 and another version for 4.5), what happens to that app when you upgrade to OS 4.5? I assume it won't work anymore. Does it get uninstalled? Do you have to manually uninstall it? Should this be done before or after the upgrade?

Thanks.
    07-21-09 02:28 PM
    If you know for a fact that a app is incompatable, I would remove it first. Then contact the developer and see if they have a version for your new OS. (you MAY need a new registration number).
    07-21-09 02:31 PM
    If you know for a fact that a app is incompatable, I would remove it first. Then contact the developer and see if they have a version for your new OS. (you MAY need a new registration number).
    But rather than check all my apps and see if different versions exist for different OSes, what normally happens when you upgrade the OS?
    07-21-09 02:33 PM
    Ahh...It will give you an error message and tell you that the app is incompatable with the OS...(duh on my part).
    07-21-09 02:36 PM
    Ahh...It will give you an error message and tell you that the app is incompatable with the OS...(duh on my part).
    But this won't interfere with the actual upgrading of the OS, will it? Do you get the error message afterwards when you try to use the app? And then you just uninstall it at that point?
    07-21-09 02:39 PM
    Yes that's correct. The upgrade will not be effected by the existing applications. Just remove the incompatable apps as you try to open them.
    07-21-09 02:41 PM
    Yes that's correct. The upgrade will not be effected by the current applications. Just remove the incompatable apps as you try to open them.
    Awesome, thanks! I plan to upgrade to 4.5 and I expect some stuff might not work (and I'm holding off on installing other apps until I upgrade).
    07-21-09 02:42 PM
    Yeah, if you're upgrading from 4.3, there's a bunch of apps that won't work. When I had it, I upgraded a 8120 from 4.3 to 4.5 and had to re-download a few apps to work.

Good luck
    07-21-09 02:46 PM
    Awesome, thanks! I plan to upgrade to 4.5 and I expect some stuff might not work (and I'm holding off on installing other apps until I upgrade).

After you do an upgrade, in might be a good idea to remove those apps that are not compatible, some time installing a new app on top of a incompatible app might give you problems when you run that app.
    07-21-09 02:48 PM
    After you do an upgrade, in might be a good idea to remove those apps that are not compatible, some time installing a new app on top of a incompatible app might give you problems when you run that app.
    Good idea, thanks.
    07-21-09 02:49 PM
    When you are updating ur OS thru DM you will also have the opportunity to update your apps as well just click the appropriate boxes for the apps you wish to update.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-21-09 03:20 PM
    When you are updating ur OS thru DM you will also have the opportunity to update your apps as well just click the appropriate boxes for the apps you wish to update.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Hmm, that seems messy somehow. I think I might rather just uninstall and reinstall fresh....
    07-21-09 03:27 PM
    Depending on the number of apps you have this might be a good excuse to do a full wipe of the system.
    07-21-09 06:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD