I was a little jealous to know my friend (who has an Iphone) pays $2 a month and gets unlimited North American.

For us Blackberrians, what are our options to do that? And any idea if that service takes out from your minutes or it doesn't? (since it uses wifi connection).

Also, for international calling, what application do you guys use? My came to $250 because of international calling and I didn't know apps existed! (well, I did know they existed but I never thought they're effective!)

Vonage maybe?
    10-17-09 09:07 AM
    Vonage just started up with an app for your phone like you just suggested. Google voice will be coming to blackberry soon but is in the beta stages now and is only available by invite from what I understand. Be patient, there are things coming that will blow Skype off the map.
    10-17-09 09:10 AM
    Do those applications use your air time or is considered data?

I was reading about Google Voice, umm they don't mention anything about charges? Is it free?!
    Last edited by jinxednuance; 10-17-09 at 09:19 AM.
    10-17-09 09:12 AM
    Vonage just started up with an app for your phone like you just suggested. Google voice will be coming to blackberry soon but is in the beta stages now and is only available by invite from what I understand. Be patient, there are things coming that will blow Skype off the map.
    GV for blackberry is already available, google service is always in beta .

GV does not offer free calls. You can use gv app to setup a call, but the actual call will be on the voice network not data/wifi. Calls will deplete your minutes.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-17-09 10:05 AM
    I was a little jealous to know my friend (who has an Iphone) pays $2 a month and gets unlimited North American.

For us Blackberrians, what are our options to do that? And any idea if that service takes out from your minutes or it doesn't? (since it uses wifi connection).

Also, for international calling, what application do you guys use? My came to $250 because of international calling and I didn't know apps existed! (well, I did know they existed but I never thought they're effective!)

Vonage maybe?
    Try Vopium. I call the Baghdad Iraq area once a week or so and the 10-15 min calls are usually around $1.50 to $2
    10-17-09 12:02 PM
    GoogleVoice is free. However, I have a friend (Rachel0179) who uses the Vonage app and she LOVES it. Something like 2 cents a minute.
    10-17-09 12:05 PM
    Google Voice, iSkoot (Skype), IM+ for Skype, and even Vopium all use minutes. They call into a local number, then connect you to their network.

At this time, there is not true a SIP/VOIP client for Blackberry.

I would love for there to be one, even one that was limited to Wifi-only connections, but it currently does not exist for one reason or another.

The only possible way to make calls via Wifi on BB is UMA through Rogers' plan, or T-Mobile's plan.
    10-17-09 12:08 PM
    GoogleVoice is free. However, I have a friend (Rachel0179) who uses the Vonage app and she LOVES it. Something like 2 cents a minute.
    I have Vonage for my landline in my home...would be nice if the BB could sync up to the service I already have and use my existing Vonage plans. Hmmmm.
    10-17-09 01:57 PM
    Vonage is only available for US customers. Not for Canadians, yet.

I think I'll just wait for Rogers to launch the 9700 and signup for UMA.
    10-17-09 04:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD