I tried IM+ Lite but it says something about a 30 minutes limit? Does that mean I can only use it for 30 minutes?

Iskoot and Nimbuzz disabled Skype support, and I really don't feel like dishing out 40$ for the full IM+.

I need it for chat only, voice doesn't matter to me.
    01-29-11 04:09 PM
    Anyone? I'm going on a trip tomorrow morning and it would be of great help. Thanks
    01-29-11 06:21 PM
    I use the actual Skype app..but I'm on 3.
    01-29-11 06:40 PM
    Pass the ota for skype

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-29-11 06:49 PM
    Pass the ota for skype

Skype, it only works on 3 and verizon. Nimbuzz supports skype chat. I use it.

01-29-11 08:16 PM
    can't believe verizon still has an exclusive on that. beyond ********.
    01-29-11 08:21 PM
    So basically my only option is to buy im+?

01-30-11 06:52 AM
    So basically my only option is to buy im+?

Try iskoot, or nimbuzz first. Iskoot uses your air time for calls, chats use data.

01-30-11 06:55 AM
    Iskoot doesn't use skype starting jan 20th

Nimbuzz doesn't support it either anymore.

Maybe an old version?

01-30-11 09:02 AM
    u can skype on bb?
    01-30-11 10:32 PM
    this is horrific i neeed skype on tmobile..
    02-09-11 11:07 PM
    Need Skype chat too but IM+ is too expensive.
    Dont care about calls just need chat
    Please someone has a solution?
    03-22-11 01:02 PM
    Only free option right now is to use IM+lite and log out and in every 30 minutes.
    03-22-11 11:45 PM
    Any updates on this? Need an app to chat on skype too! Can't seem to find any free apps for it.
    04-22-11 01:57 PM
    Don't think there's any at the moment besides the IM+ app which is expensive.

04-22-11 07:42 PM
    Any updates on this? Need an app to chat on skype too! Can't seem to find any free apps for it.
    I'm using the Skype beta app that's floating around here in the forums. I'm not on Verizon, but the beta works with any carrier.

Two drawbacks with it though:
    You can only use the chat functionallity, no skype calls are possible
    And the user interface is really ugly. I.e. You navigate through the app with your trackpad and your Q, P buttons and the spacebar.

So it doesn't look good, but funktionality is great! Every feature is included, you can even rename threads, view user profiles, view your balance etc.

I tried IM+lite, but didnt like the advertisements. Plus it won't remember my last Skypestatus, always starting up as "online" what I don't really like and sometimes my statusmessage was messed up as well.

If you give the skype beta a try, make sure you have activated the manual APN settings in your blackberrys device settings, else it won't login.

Hope I could help a little
    Last edited by megabus; 04-23-11 at 07:11 AM.
    eedwinn likes this.
    04-23-11 06:57 AM
    I'm using the Skype beta app that's floating around here in the forums. I'm not on Verizon, but the beta works with any carrier.

Two drawbacks with it though:
    You can only use the chat functionallity, no skype calls are possible
    And the user interface is really ugly. I.e. You navigate through the app with your trackpad and your Q, P buttons and the spacebar.

So it doesn't look good, but funktionality is great! Every feature is included, you can even rename threads, view user profiles, view your balance etc.

I tried IM+lite, but didnt like the advertisements. Plus it won't remember my last Skypestatus, always starting up as "online" what I don't really like and sometimes my statusmessage was messed up as well.

If you give the skype beta a try, make sure you have activated the manual APN settings in your blackberrys device settings, else it won't login.

Hope I could help a little
    That's really helpful. Thanks! Don't mind if you give me the link to the Skype beta app?
    04-23-11 12:16 PM
    Yes I'd love to see the link too
    04-23-11 10:17 PM
    May be its time for you to move on to a iPhone or a different phone other than crapberry. I love the physical keyboard of the Blackberry, but as a Canadian BB user, this is how I see this type of issue:

the very few apps on App World + blocked apps for Canadian region + exclusive apps for verizon= I am leaving for iPhone with a added third party physical keyboard.

I am sorry to hear that you are having issue with skype... may I ask if these kind of exclusive rights for apps also applied to iPhone apps too? If not I can't wait to end my contract so I can buy iPhone 5
    04-24-11 01:00 AM
    Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

04-24-11 01:02 AM
    I'd love to know if there was a Skype app on the way and find it hard to believe that RIM are shooting themselves in the foot with this one. Like Verizon in the US, 3 in the UK have the Skype app on their BB range but this does not stop the official Skype app also appearing in the Android App Store. The difference between the two is that the 3 app can't be used over wi-fi but the official Skype client can. This means though that all bases are covered as users can make and receive free Skype calls over their mobile within the UK and use Wi-fi when abroad.
    What I can't understand is Skype limiting the use of their service to 2 providers, which causes resentment and dissatisfaction to other users. I really cannot see why a wi-fi calling and general Skype chat app could not be made available to other BB users while Verizon and 3 retain their 'exclusive' free calls agreement.
    I love the BB but I am rapidly getting frustrated with issues such as this, the discrimination RIM show with locking certain apps like the podcast to North America, and business centric apps such as LinkedIn being much poorer on the BB than other models. And as for the Playbook, I am so glad I went for the iPad2 instead.
    RIM and Skype really do need to get their acts together. The BB is renowned for being a business phone and for Skype to actively block the majority of BB users from using their service while making it available on other platforms is worrying.
    04-24-11 05:25 AM
    That's really helpful. Thanks! Don't mind if you give me the link to the Skype beta app?
    Sure!

If anyone is interested, the original thread I got the beta from was called Skype jad/cod files?, I just don't have sufficient posts yet to post the direct link.

And if you have any further questions regarding the skype beta, I'd be happy to help out!
    04-24-11 12:57 PM
    Unfortunately, the link in that thread doesn't work anymore and iskoot for skype has been shut down! any other solutions are appreciated.

04-25-11 05:40 AM
    Unfortunately, the link in that thread doesn't work anymore and iskoot for skype has been shut down! any other solutions are appreciated.

That's strange! The link in the old thread works fine for me. Also I attached the skype beta to my previous post.
    04-25-11 08:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD