I'm looking for an article or some type of information that can show how many Blackberry Apps are Free as opposed to Apple.

It would be good to have for customers and or fellow smart phone users.

I would appreciate anyone's help in the matter.

It seems RIM provides more FREE apps as opposed to Apple, in my experience, just looking for some back up information.

Thank you !
    02-15-10 10:23 AM
    From what I've seen the opposite it true. The difference is this - there are thousands of useless free apps for iphone, less so for blackberry. I mean like the dumb apps, there's just so many for iphone. Curious though, are you going to include the apps available through jailbreaking an iphone...?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-15-10 11:44 AM
    On the other hand many basic utilities, which provide some additional functionality and are not useless (such as BBnotepad for instance) are available for free for the BlackBerry. Similar apps for the iPhone usually cost $0.99. There is still a good handful of very good free apps for the iPhone. App Store is not full of useless apps, so if you actually take a few seconds to learn the interface you can filter results and find stuff you might be interested in.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 02-15-10 at 12:11 PM. Reason: profanity
    02-15-10 12:01 PM
    I think it would be hard to sum up apps based solely on price or number of free apps. It would be of more benefit to build a list of comparable apps and show cross-platforms differences that way. I would also suggest not just limit it to iPhone and BB, but compare WebOS and Android.

All the phone platforms are different, and trying to show who has more of what is only going to show so much. It's a more balanced and viable look if you do things such as compare what apps are available for each platform. If you want to then subcategorize it to just free apps, then that would make more sense.

An example would be IM clients. On the BB side, you have paid (IM+, BeeJive, WhatsApp) and free (Nimbuxx, eBuddy, Palringo, Instango), and proprietary (BBM). I'm sure there would be comparisons on each of the other platforms.....
    02-15-10 12:20 PM
    As mentioned before, the percentage of free apps on the iphone platform is probably higher than BB phones.

But IME the percentage of useful apps for the BB is much higher than the iphone.

I often find myself filtering through pages of crap on the app store, not something I encounter when looking for BB apps.

02-17-10 11:19 AM
    I wish the bb apps weren't so damn expensive!

02-17-10 12:28 PM
    From what I've seen the opposite it true. The difference is this - there are thousands of useless free apps for iphone, less so for blackberry. I mean like the dumb apps, there's just so many for iphone. Curious though, are you going to include the apps available through jailbreaking an iphone...?

I totally agree with you on this. Considering there is like 100 different fart button apps for iPhone, I have only seen 1 fart button for the BB Storm. Is that necessary? How many fart sounds can you make? LOL

Most of the BB apps are more productive because they got more business users.

In the gaming section, iPhone wins by far.
    02-17-10 02:06 PM
    Sure iphone has more apps, but they are mostly completely useless. Come on a zippo lighter? Really? Sure those are all free, and yeah bb has some that are free but they serve a purpose. I will admit that they could come down in price a bit.
    02-17-10 02:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD