anybody know what apps work on wi-fi? Does the browser work? Or Oprea Mini?
    06-18-08 02:19 PM
    Anyone know?
    06-18-08 02:38 PM
    I do, I use the Browser all the time.

Without the BlackBerry infrastructure, virtualy none of the third party applications will run.
    06-18-08 02:53 PM
    Um... It should be all apps, unless there is something I'm missing.

But as far as I know, if it is an app that needs to connect to the internet, it should work fine with WiFi.
    06-18-08 02:53 PM
    Um... It should be all apps, unless there is something I'm missing.

But as far as I know, if it is an app that needs to connect to the internet, it should work fine with WiFi.
    Well that's the way I think it should work but apparently it doesn't. O well third party apps aren't that important. I really only want the browser to work.
    06-18-08 02:56 PM
    There is an entire thread that is very robust... it is in the WiFi section of the forum. They are already covering this very in-depth.

As far as a quick answer... practically no apps will work if you only have WiFi and NO data plan!! The majority of apps require you to activate them with your data plan before you can use them only on WiFi... and then the WiFi should work on all apps!!

Hope this can help!! The only app that you do not need a data plan for and will work on just WiFi is the browser...
    06-18-08 02:58 PM
    I use live search, jivetalk, operamini and logimail. They all work very well with wifi only.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-18-08 02:58 PM
    Well that's the way I think it should work but apparently it doesn't. O well third party apps aren't that important. I really only want the browser to work.
    To get the browser to work on only WiFi... go to the Browser > Menu (BB Button) > scroll down to Options > Browser Config:

Make sure all boxes are checked
    Emulation mode is set to Microsoft IE

Then go back and select General Properties:
    Default Browser should be WiFi Browser
    06-18-08 03:01 PM
    Thanks guys. I'll guess I'll go take a look in the wifi section
    06-18-08 03:06 PM
    How many people have BB's without data plans? I know two.
    06-18-08 03:15 PM
    How many people have BB's without data plans? I know two.
    When I get my BB I won't have a data plan. But I won't need it. When I am out I'll can use texting instead of email. When I am home or at other places I can use wifi. Besides I can't afford a data plan. A texting plan but not a data plan. My friend has his bb pearl without a data plan and he loves it still.
    06-18-08 03:19 PM
    Your forum device model says "Soon to be Bold". I really do not think it is worth it to buy that phone for just texting and Wifi. When your at home, you can use a computer, assuming you have one since you said you would use the Wifi on the phone. You're better off just getting a cheap, good phone for texting, and just get an iPod touch for the Wifi, it has Safari on it so you get a full browser. The Bold without a data plan is going to be worthless for just texts, because it is going to be the most powerful BlackBerry. That's just my advice, by all means buy one if you really want it, but I'm just saying I probably wouldn't do that just for Wifi and texting.
    06-18-08 03:31 PM
    When I get my BB I won't have a data plan. But I won't need it. When I am out I'll can use texting instead of email. When I am home or at other places I can use wifi. Besides I can't afford a data plan. A texting plan but not a data plan. My friend has his bb pearl without a data plan and he loves it still.
    Yea the two I was referring to were my girlfriend and her sister, they have 8130's without data plans, they just use them for texts.

But yea, unless you're just getting the Bold for a fashion statement or for OS4.6, I wouldn't buy it. You should probably grab a Curve if you're just going to use it for texts.
    06-18-08 03:35 PM
    I want the fast speed off the bold and the keyboard. My friend has a pearl and he installed some stuff on it so now it is slow. I full qwerty keyboard just looks amazing. I know the curve has a qwerty keyboard but I don't like the curve's keyboard. Do any of the curve's have wi-fi?

06-18-08 03:47 PM
    I would recommend getting the device that you want to get... regardless of what you are using it for!!

The Bold is going to be a great device... and I think the advice to get an iPod Touch for WiFi browsing is horrible!!

Just because he does not want a data plan, doesn't mean he wants to carry around 2 devices to meet his needs!

Also... the Bold with WiFi should be able to make calls over UMA (if the carrier it is released on supports this feature). That is another bonus of having the WiFi on the device.

I am not saying it is completely reasonable... but he can choose the Bold and wait eagerly and patiently for that device!!

Instead of recommending a "cheap" phone for texting... I would recommend a nice device that meets your needs but is not overkill. For your needs it seems as if a Pearl or a Curve would be adquate... and the price of Curves is amazing right now

I actually do not have a data plan... because I can no longer afford paying that much for email and web browsing on my mobile phone... but the WiFi and all the features of my device are still put to really good use. I love the smart phone... and the BlackBerry is worth it, even without the data plan!!
    06-18-08 03:51 PM
    The 8320 has WiFi, but it's exclusive to T-Mobile.
    06-18-08 03:52 PM
    O could the 8320 be unlocked and then used on AT&T with wifi

06-18-08 03:57 PM
    O could the 8320 be unlocked and then used on AT&T with wifi

Um, I'm not sure, but I don't see why not. They are both GSM carriers, they do however use different frequencies, so I'd ask someone who knows a little bit more than I do before making any decisions.
    06-18-08 04:02 PM
    Ok well thanks

06-18-08 04:03 PM
    But I think I will stick with waiting for the bold. Unless I could find a pearl for $1

06-18-08 04:06 PM
    But I think I will stick with waiting for the bold. Unless I could find a pearl for $1

lol, yea. That sounds good.
    06-18-08 04:10 PM
    The Bold is going to be a great device... and I think the advice to get an iPod Touch for WiFi browsing is horrible!!
    It's horrible to have a device that has a better web browser than the Bold, oh ok I guess so. It's horrible to save money when the only two uses you will use from the Bold is texting and Wifi, oh ok I guess so. It's horrible to have a bigger screen to view webpages, oh ok I guess so. It's horrible to get a fully loading media player out of the deal at the same time, that is better than the Bold's, oh ok I guess so. Like I said, that's my advice, but if you're going to say it's a horrible idea, at least back it up with something better than, "OMG you have to carry around another device!". Tell that to most people who have a phone and an iPod, and I'm sure you will see they really don't care. I know I don't.
    06-18-08 04:12 PM
    It's horrible to have a device that has a better web browser than the Bold, oh ok I guess so. It's horrible to save money when the only two uses you will use from the Bold is texting and Wifi, oh ok I guess so. It's horrible to have a bigger screen to view webpages, oh ok I guess so. It's horrible to get a fully loading media player out of the deal at the same time, that is better than the Bold's, oh ok I guess so. Like I said, that's my advice, but if you're going to say it's a horrible idea, at least back it up with something better than, "OMG you have to carry around another device!". Tell that to most people who have a phone and an iPod, and I'm sure you will see they really don't care. I know I don't.
    I might go out and buy an iPod Touch just because it's a spiffy little gadget... And I want to tinker with it (e.g. unlocking it.)
    06-18-08 04:14 PM

I don't want an iPhone I have an iPod video allready. Besides an iphone would not have enough space for my music. And I'd have to use a virtual keyboard. No copy and paste either. I think iPhones are dumb anyway.
    06-18-08 04:15 PM
    I don't want an iPhone I have an iPod video allready. Besides an iphone would not have enough space for my music. And I'd have to use a virtual keyboard. No copy and paste either. I think iPhones are dumb anyway.
    iPod Touch, not iPhone. I don't like it either. The iPod Touch is the iPhone without the phone. I have one and I love it, I think it is an awesome device. I don't like virtual keyboards either, but for web browsing it's not bad. Just get the Bold, you seem to have your mind set on it anyways. I was just trying to over other solutions to the uses you wanted to get out of the Bold. I wouldn't be surprised though if ATT doesn't sell you the Bold unless you do buy a data plan, since they will be the first one with the Bold in the US for at least a couple of months.
    06-18-08 04:31 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD