I wanted caller ID spoken out loud for my contacts, after hearing it on another phone (Samsung Android phone) I think?? Anyway, after installing the new BB World Software I found the software that I had found ONE time at Mobihand(month or so ago), and now I think I know why Mobihand doesn't have it listed anymore.

It's called Caller ID Reader� - App

I saw the $9.95 one time price and figured it was worth it, especially for safety while driving, etc.. So I buy it on their site instead of on BB World because on BB World its $19.99 and on their site it's $9.95.

Installed it and set the permissions the way I usually do, and it didn't like that. It wanted ALL permissions set to ALLOW (it even said as much) and it popped up a ACCEPT/DECLINE screen that basically said they needed full access to my phone and the internet because "They would have to transmit the contact to the internet for Audio Conversion". Ummm.... I picked DECLINE. This app just got fishier and fisher as it went along.

Also, the entire time it was on my phone (maybe 11 minutes) my phone was acting bizarre... when I hit the BB Menu key it would bring up the screen like I was holding down ALT when I hit it.(like to switch between apps) So I go to Options>Applications finally got BB Menu key to come up and Selected "DELETE". It just sit there with an hour glass, which I've never seen it do for so long, so I selected Edit Permissions and DELETED from there. GONE. Reboot.... Battery Pull... and wasted money. Oh well.. live and learn. Just wanted to let you all know.

That's why I thought I'd share this info. with you all. When I very first got my BB I remember doing a search on Mobihand and this software came up...because I remember the weird icon with the character and trumpet. But then I was unable to find again. Hats off to Mobihand for taking this garbage off their site.

Any thoughts...or opinions??
    09-24-10 10:19 PM
    I have been running for a couple of months and found it works well and causes no issue with my 8530. But they do seem to send out more software "updates" then seems needed.

Tim
    09-25-10 08:37 AM
    Interesting...

The only other software that I know of that requires FULL ALLOW ON ALL is "Quick Launch". And he is a known dev and thousands of people use his software. So that's an exception.

I guess I'm just paranoid, but I'm not gonna give FULL everything of my phone to a company that has to "transmit the callers name using the web to generate translation".

Oh well... hope you continue to have no problems.
    09-25-10 01:11 PM
    I just got a PIN message from them
    Regarding update
    I have never allowed them nor given my pin# to them.
    Note: I'm using the free version
    I guess that's it, I'm taking it off my phone

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-25-10 08:48 PM
    FYI, Drivesafe.ly has, as one of its relatively new features, that it reads caller id's. I disable the feature personally, but if you're looking for the feature, it's there.
    09-25-10 09:15 PM
    I just got a PIN message from them
    Regarding update
    I have never allowed them nor given my pin# to them.
    Note: I'm using the free version
    I guess that's it, I'm taking it off my phone

I woud take it OFF, that's my opinion. At least you found out how weird and creepy ths software is with the FREE Version. That's at least a good thing. Didn't lose $10.00 like I did. I've found some other solutions...I will post them later.

Last edited by BB_Noobie; 09-26-10 at 07:00 AM.
    09-26-10 06:43 AM
    FYI, Drivesafe.ly has, as one of its relatively new features, that it reads caller id's. I disable the feature personally, but if you're looking for the feature, it's there.
    In the version I got from App World, that's not true. When it asked if I wanted the caller ID function, I said "yes". It then opened my browser to DL the Caller ID Reader. Maybe it works differently on the Torch/OS6?

As for the op's permissions question, there's a thread of "must have" apps for the Torch, carryovers from people's previous BBs. Several people have positively mentioned drivesafe.ly (which is in App World) & that Caller ID reader & another app are required for full functionality. The only negative comments I saw were that it took three apps instead of one to gain full functionality. So, the way it all works & the authors must be known to & trusted by at least some here.

I did have one negative experience with both. And, again, it may be a Torch/OS6 thing. I had both drivesafe.ly & Caller ID Reader set to disabled. In the middle of my workday, my phone was suddenly reading emails & texts out loud. So, I deleted the app, planning to delete Caller ID Reader as soon as I had a chance to look through my app list to see what supplementary app I had DLed. Something I was going to do, the next day, after a memorial service. The morning of the service, I had an incoming call that got announced out loud, even though I had set Caller ID Reaader to disabled. That got deleted before the service.
    09-26-10 07:16 AM
    I have the Pro and they have updated it three to four times in the past two weeks.
    No "whats new" listing.
    I emailed them and said I would no longer upgrade unless they supply a whats new listing.

I would suggest other email them and tell them the same thing.

Tim
    09-26-10 07:57 AM
    I received a response from them and in short they refuse to supply
    a "whats new" with their too frequent updates . As many as two within two days and at least one a week for a while now.

This combined with the applications need for all the "Allows" it requires and that it sends data back to them makes it a big security risk.

Network Administrators would have to be out of their minds to allow this on their networks.

Works fine but a big security risk.

Tim
    09-27-10 05:01 PM
    The response you got just makes them look even worse. And getting a PIN message from them.

But then again...what do you expect when you give FULL control of your phone over to them.

For those who have it installed and working...great. To each his own.

But I've got to give em' a big thumbs down...

People with Corporate phones who buy this might be out of luck. Because don't some companies control what kind of access programs are given on their employees phones, etc..??
    09-27-10 05:50 PM
    They also know of this thread but have nothing to say.

Many programs are this way. It is very much like the early days
    of the PC and Shareware/Freeware.

A "Whats New" would go a long way to solve this.

But for some reason, none of which I can think of being good, they will not.

Sort of boils down to not understanding nor caring what the customer thinks.

Standards are going to tighten and those that work with that will do well.

Those that do not get deleted.

Tim
    09-28-10 10:28 AM
    Totally agree...

And also, in the short time I've had my 9650...I've installed a lot of programs, uninstalled a lot, etc.. While sort of learning everything. This program, without a doubt is THE ONE that I was most relieved of, after DELETING and doing a physical battery pull.

You say they know of this thread. How did you find this out? (If you don't mind me asking)
    09-28-10 10:49 AM
    You say they know of this thread. How did you find this out? (If you don't mind me asking)
    I sent them the link and they thanked me for it..odd...

Tim
    09-28-10 12:21 PM
    The change log in App World (for each update) has mention Voice Command updates. I've never figured out voice commands with Drivesafe.ly, and there doesn't seem to be any documentation about it yet on their website.
    09-30-10 07:16 AM
    just an FYI that I noticed. I went to download Drivesafe.ly and noticed it is from the same company that the CallerID is from. ispeech.org.
    10-02-10 09:17 PM
    Yep same company. Won't use that one either. Try to change the "Allows" and you will find you can not.

Their last release did says "Bug Fixes". This is a substandard for a "whatsnew" as most network folks want to know what was changed. What bug? How did they fix it.

They seem to be fully aware of what there program do and will continue to do so.

I ran it on my WIFI and watched my firewall. This program is a major security breach. To much information being sent back to the mothers ship.

BB needs to stop this and stop it now! They are allowing non-secure, data stealing apps to be sold on BB App world. This will bite them in the backside sometime down the road.

Tim
    10-05-10 10:13 AM
    +1
    Old thread, but should be brought back up
    Tried using caller id reader, can't get past allow screen unless I give location & connectivity and all of my personal data(files, organizer, email) with the sxception on "security data". This apps functions don't require email, files or location. Since the imcoming caller doesn't have to be in the address book, to read the incoming call screen, I'm not even sure it needs organizer data.
    Back in the day I had drivesafe.ly send me PIN messages, that was my que to remove the app.

Shady practices. The only way they can give us a free app is if we pay them with out private imformation. Their privacy policy and TOS is wack too, doesn't specifically say they jack your data but it doesn't say they cant/dont

06-25-11 05:09 AM
    Why spend $10 in the first place? Use the Voicenotes built in to your BB. It may take a little while to set up depending on how many contacts you want to assign each note. I use it for the contacts that call the most often and/or are the most important. The others are left as normal rings and can generally be left on voicemal. If you set up a custom profile right, you can turn it on and off as needed. Not fancy, but it works and its free.

06-25-11 01:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD