Vopium beats competition to become first mobile VoIP app available on BlackBerry App World:

check out here:

Last edited by eddymartine; 05-04-09 at 05:19 AM.
    05-04-09 01:34 AM
    is it free when u make calls to other numbers while on WIFI? or is it free only to other wifi vopium accounts?
    05-04-09 03:31 AM
    This app is weird, tried it a few days ago on my bold.

Firstly it does now work over wifi it waits till you dial a number then routes the call through a local number and their server, plus it did not work for uk calls only foreighn calls.

Secondly there are no call rates for top ups, just units with no price.

I could not find anywhere my number so couldn't possibly work out how you could make free calls to users of the same system.

The real downer is when you use it abroad you would pay for a roaming call to get to their local server then their chrges to call who ever it was to dial meaning it cost you even more cash.

The only use I can see for this app is if you make a lot of international calls from your home country which I don't so have delted it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-04-09 04:22 AM
    Ill just wait for Skype...
    05-04-09 04:39 AM
    Ill just wait for Skype...
    I used Skype beta but It is below to my expectations....where as Vopium works fine
    Last edited by eddymartine; 06-04-09 at 02:05 AM.
    06-04-09 01:59 AM
    Is Vopium really legit? I attempted to register and got a message back that they would call my number to confirm. Two days later and no call.

They advertise chat-based support on their website, but that appears to always be closed.

I finally got through to them via a web form with my problem. I'm sure it'll take another day or so for them just to register my account.

Very bad service so far!!
    06-09-09 05:47 AM
    I'm in Florida and call a landline or a cell phone in let's say Brazil, its a free call as long as I have unlimited data plan?

06-12-09 11:15 AM
    This is yet another cheap-wannabe VoIP application, lust like Skype will be when it is out. I quote from the press release of Vopium,

Vopium re-routes international calls as a local call to a Vopium gateway and then via global
    traffic carriers as ordinary voice traffic in order to ensure voice quality
    So, just like Skype will, this one "converts" your international minutes into local minutes + extra charge for the "re-routing".

I believe this should be reported to Moderators, who in turn should remove the label "first true VoIP" from this product's description as false and misleading.

EDIT: I missed to include a link to the Press Release I quoted: http://vopium.com/press_files/vopium_on_blackberry.pdf
    07-14-09 05:24 AM
    I'm in Florida and call a landline or a cell phone in let's say Brazil, its a free call as long as I have unlimited data plan?

No it is not really a VoIP application. It is a call connection application. You tell it what number you want to call. It sends this information to a gateway that then dials that number, and then the gateway also calls your phone, then connects the two calls. So you are using minutes to talk to the gateway, but the gateway is incurring the International charges. Will still save you money calling from the US to International, but will save nothing trying to use while travelling internationally (unless you use a local SIM).

I wish that people would stop saying it is a VoIP app, cause there is no VoIP at all in it.

I wish there was a SIP client for Blackberry, but no one has them yet, mostly because carriers don't want people using the data network circumvent the the voice network.
    07-14-09 09:45 AM
    and why are there always links to this same blog?
    07-14-09 10:27 AM
    and why are there always links to this same blog?
    which blog?
    07-30-09 05:00 AM
    Download Vopium for Blackberry directly from Blackberry App World (Web Version)
    09-11-09 01:47 AM
    Google Voice does the everything that Vopium does, has cheaper rates, and gives you a different number that you can give to people so you don't have to out your cell number anymore and still receive calls to your mobile or any number you validate.
    09-12-09 01:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD