Hello,

Is there an VOIP/phone app (that I can use over WiFi) on my Bold and on an iPhone? Something that is compatible between the two.

Thanks!
    10-13-09 09:44 PM
    Hey I have the same question. I know that Skype is available for the iPhone, and a Blackberry app should be coming very soon (hopefully). There are other Skype compatible apps for the Blackberry that you can use, but I think they use your SkypeOut credits opposed to any plan you may have (like the unlimited plan for $20/month). There is also Vonage Mobile which recently launched its iPhone and Blackberry apps. Google voice is available for Blackberries, but not for iPhones (yet or maybe forever because AT&T is too cheap). There's Nimbuzz for iPhones and Blackberries. This is similar to Skype because it allows you to call other Nimbuzz numbers for free using VOIP. It also has all your instant messaging apps categorized into one app. I thought Nimbuzz was pretty annoying though. My favorite app so far for texting would be Beejive, although I only used the trial, now I use Google Voice and ICQ for texting internationally. For calling, I use SkypeOut credits through Nimbuzz, or my unlimited plan through my laptop to make calls. If you want, you can pay for IM+ for Skype, but I honestly think it's a waste of money, if you only want VOIP access, because like Nimbuzz, I think this only uses SkypeOut credits. Either wait for Skype to launch its official Blackberry app, or just make a Skype account and set up a Skype number that can be dialed from any phone and with a pin that you choose, you can make calls to your speed dials. Skype-to-Skype calls are free, and international rates are decent, considering the convenience of the service.

Hope this helps. If you find anything that's cheap or free VOIP, especially for calls or text messaging to Israel, then POST!
    10-14-09 02:33 AM
    skype even when it does release for BB it will not work the way the iphone does, all data traffic is routed through blackberry servers so i dont think RIM will allow that so easily.

Go for iphone if you need VOIP
    10-14-09 05:04 AM
    Sadly such thing does not exist.

It is by far the most outstandingly pathetic missing feature in all of Blackberry- it is also the utmost necessary of all in this day and age.

Can you name a mobile OS with no VOIP protocol other than BB? Right, you can't.
    10-14-09 05:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD