Hello

As my cellphone provider redirects unanswered calls to voice mail after only three rings, I asked them to disable this so I wouldn't miss calls and have to call people back at my expense.

As a result, when I can't answer a call, the only option to make it stop ringing is to hit the red End/Power key which sends a busy tone to the caller. Not great :-/

As an alternative, I was wondering if there were an application that would record calls, effectively adding a local voice mail within the Blackberry phone.

Thank you.
    05-01-11 06:28 AM
    You can use "YouMail", which would basically work as a Visual VM client but gives the option of emailing you the recorded VM as a MP3 to your phone which you can play and save, then erase as needed. This may help with your issue a bit. I just noticed where you are and not sure if YouMail will work in France but take a look at least.
    05-01-11 08:59 AM
    You can use "YouMail", which would basically work as a Visual VM client but gives the option of emailing you the recorded VM as a MP3 to your phone which you can play and save, then erase as needed. This may help with your issue a bit. I just noticed where you are and not sure if YouMail will work in France but take a look at least.
    I agree with Jimi. I've been using Youmail since I had my 9000 Bold. Its great! Not only can you set it up to email you when you have a missed call, but it texts you too. It free with the option to go pro...to which it will transcript and Read it aloud to you. You can also set what each person in your contact list hears when they call you. It has something call Ditch mail...if you have an unknown name/number...it will reject the call...its Brilliant!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-01-11 06:01 PM
    You can use "YouMail", which would basically work as a Visual VM client but gives the option of emailing you the recorded VM as a MP3 to your phone which you can play and save, then erase as needed
    Thanks for the tip on YouMail. However, their page says that it requires a data plan, which I don't have (I just use the 8520 for phone + SMS + calendar/to-do's).

As an alternative, is there a way to hit a key so that the 8520 will stop ringing locally but the operator will keep playing the ring signal to the caller?
    05-06-11 05:20 AM
    Google Voice is another great option, but alas, go figure, it requires a data plan too. A Blackberry without a data plan is like a kiss without a squeeze.
    05-06-11 08:37 AM
    And GV is only in the US. He is in France. I don't know what to tell you, but if you want it to stop ringing you can hit the volume keys on the right and it will silence the ringtone but keep ringing.
    05-06-11 11:08 AM
    Btw, Youmail actually pushes a notification to your homescreen when you have a voicemail. In the Ypoumail app, you can check who left the voicemail, and download and play it.

05-06-11 10:41 PM
    I use YouMail and do not have the app on my phone. I set it up through their website and never installed the app and it works flawlessly.
    05-08-11 12:31 AM
    Thanks everyone for the feedback.
    05-16-11 02:24 AM
    As an alternative, is there a way to hit a key so that the 8520 will stop ringing locally but the operator will keep playing the ring signal to the caller?
    I simply hit the mute key on the top right of my bb bold. It mutes the ringtone, but for the caller it still keeps ringing so he won't be rejected. Best option to my opinion

Alternatively, if you do have a holster, you could pull your bb out and shift it back in. That mutes the call as well.
    Last edited by megabus; 05-16-11 at 11:00 AM.
    05-16-11 10:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD