IDENTICAL to the failure I've experienced on our two Storms, yet NO ONE in this forum has reported similar issues with the voice apps. Very strange. Not only that, but we had the same issues with the S1's back in April.

Here's what happens:

1. Phone is working fine, for starters.

2. How to make it fail for voice apps:

A. first off, try the voice dialer and be sure you can hear the voice prompts from the speaker. (cancel voice dialer app)
    B. go to one of 3 apps--Voice Recorder, Bing (and say a search criteria in Bing), or BBM & try to record and send a Voice Message.

C. Close the apps if you'd like

D. Home screen--press Voice Dialing button (or use the icon). Chances are greater than 1 out of 3 that the Voice dialing will only bring up the white screen but you will HEAR NOTHING.

E. To confirm the other 3 apps are not working, go back to each one and see if you can get them to work--ie ask Bing something (the error will be that "I can't understand you"), in the voice recorder it won't play back what you TRY to record, in BBM you can neither send a new voice message, or play any new voice message that you have received since the failure.

F. If the voice apps still work, just try them another time or two. I would bet you that you couldn't go more than 3 or 4 times to several of those apps before you'll get a failure. I've had this happen too many times to count and that's why we returned our storms. pulling the battery (coupled with the entirely unacceptable issue of applications failures) to resolve the issue for mere minutes, was the straw that broke the camel's back. Even 2 full handset wipes and OS reloads failed to fix the issue.

BOTTOM LINE: all 4 applications fail together. Now that makes 6 Storms that I have seen this happen on, YET...no one else in this busy forum has EVER NOTICED this problem????? Don't you guys use voice activated apps??? I showed the lame-*** salesgirl the issue but she couldn't have been more disinterested if I said there's dust on the carpet.

Oh, btw, the S2 at the store today didn't even have Bing loaded on it. Yet it still failed after just ONE attempt to record a Voice Memo (which I happen to love that feature--beats typing notes to myself when in a hurry, so "no", folks, don't tell me not to use the frickin' app)

PS: We spent a good deal of time looking at many of the phones and didn't buy a thing. Our favorite phones are S2's IF THEY WORKED properly. I'm not impressed by the droid's awful keyboard, too much space is devoted to the dpad (right nomenclature?) the screen isn't as bright as the S2, and I don't really like the phone function on it. We looked at quite a few others and they all pale in comparison to the S2. Dammit, I wish RIM would fix the issues!!
    Last edited by dave1812; 11-20-09 at 02:21 PM.
    11-20-09 02:17 PM
    I will try and get back to you
    11-20-09 02:32 PM
    I will try and get back to you
    that would be awesome if you can duplicate the issue. I've been able to make the Storms fail in less than 2 minutes, just by using the apps I mentioned.
    11-20-09 03:48 PM
    I have tried each of these countless times and they each work every time. Maybe the hybrid I'm using makes the difference. I don't know. I will keep trying them here and there. I use the voice dialing all the time and voice recorder several times a week.
    11-20-09 06:32 PM
    I have tried each of these countless times and they each work every time. Maybe the hybrid I'm using makes the difference. I don't know. I will keep trying them here and there. I use the voice dialing all the time and voice recorder several times a week.
    I almost mentioned hybrids in my previous post, because I'm aware that if we introduce variables that don't apply to the storms I've owned, nor the one at the store (obviously "stock"), then it would be hard to draw a conclusion about the problems I've encountered with .75 with the S1, and .320 with the S2's.

But thank you so much for giving it a go. And how are you liking the hybrid, as far as 1) stability, 2) battery life 3) features (anything new?), as compared to the stock 320?
    11-20-09 07:06 PM
    Stability is great for me. Never locks up or reboots. Battery life sucks no matter what you do for every hybrid or stock OS for me. I do good to get 8 to 10 hours max. No new features that I know of. Each build I've used seems as fast as the other but snappier than stock 320. I did have problems with voice dialing before hybrid but not anymore. I also don't have the problem with links in emails not working anymore. Every link I click on now works. Homescreen icons like weatherbug or meterberry still don't update properly. Really need a new radio file. Where's the leak love for S2?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-20-09 07:23 PM
    well, that's encouraging to hear that you HAD trouble with VD BEFORE the hybrid, but not after. cool! Both my wife and I are perfectly willing to buy the storms again if there's a new and improved official OS released by Verizon that fixes my complaints. Returning them was a bittersweet experience and every time we see them in the store we look at them wistfully.
    11-20-09 08:28 PM
    I've experienced the same predictable failure of the voice dialing feature on my Storm 2. I haven't tried other voice apps. In addition, when voice dialing has failed (daily now for 4 days on my 2-week old Verizon Storm 2) all sounds have failed. The only remedy is to cycle the phone by removing and replacing the battery, as noted in the OP.
    11-22-09 08:27 PM
    I've experienced the same predictable failure of the voice dialing feature on my Storm 2. I haven't tried other voice apps. In addition, when voice dialing has failed (daily now for 4 days on my 2-week old Verizon Storm 2) all sounds have failed. The only remedy is to cycle the phone by removing and replacing the battery, as noted in the OP.
    Thanks for posting. I have been wondering why I haven't gotten a ton of responses to this issue, seeing as every Storm I have used has had the same problem, be it the S1 or the S2. When it got to the point of doing 3 or 4 battery pulls within an hour, I figured it's time to pack it in. Geez, I wish they'd fix this issue! I'd love to have the Storm again, but not as it stands.
    11-22-09 09:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD