What is the best voice-activated navigation app for the torch?
    01-10-11 12:41 PM
    I use waze which is free and work perfect for me in my region.

Free GPS Navigation with Turn by Turn - Waze
    01-10-11 12:52 PM
    Waze is good but I find it lacks some of the features they show on their site(I still use it myself). Give it time to compile a decent database and Waze would be awesome.
    coachman11 likes this.
    01-10-11 12:57 PM
    Which version for the Torch?

Woops.....sorry ... case of fingers typing faster than I think!....OS5 or higher of course!
    01-10-11 01:01 PM
    works fine for me, the only version they offer for BB's
    coachman11 likes this.
    01-10-11 01:04 PM
    home1475 actually, they offered the 1.9 version before the 2.0.2.0, I had that version on my torch at first, didn't support the screen tilting and didn't like my touch screen either, it was working though using the trackpad. When I saw on waze that there was a version that does support touchscreen I jumped on it.

so it seem to be their second version, just for your info.
    01-10-11 01:27 PM
    Wisepilot, not free, but probably the best.
    coachman11 likes this.
    01-10-11 01:30 PM
    no thanks for me ? ;p
    slalom likes this.
    01-10-11 02:28 PM
    Just a short review on waze. It's not too bad for a free option *if* the navigation directions show up properly...

Sometimes the directions are completely screwed up... It will have you make useless turns, u turns and detours for no reason.

When it works it works well enough for the free price tag.
    01-10-11 05:29 PM
    Just tried Waze from Toronto to an address in London, ON. Worked ok, but for some reason randomly started recalculating routes when I was near London, and temporarily picked a destination part way along the route. I just shut the program and restarted, and went back to my destination and it worked. ok.

I'll try it for a while longer before I spring to buy an app. Would really like a feature to select "navigate with Waze" from the address book.
    01-12-11 03:02 PM
    ^^ Yep, basically what I'm talking about. If it works, it's good enough. But it will randomly screw up your route really badly sometimes...
    01-12-11 03:55 PM
    Wisepilot. Top notch imo.
    01-12-11 04:07 PM
    ....but I'm sure that wisepilot doesn't have Elvis as a voice option. My girlfriend was laughing so hard I had to shut the sound off.
    01-17-11 09:10 AM
    They said the Blackberry version of waze is in beta and does not include all the features, this could mean the rest of the features maybe added to the full release. Just be patient that's all.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-17-11 10:01 AM
    I'm ready to give up on Waze...I like the program, but the maps are missing streets (for instance, the one I live on), and the instructions are unreliable. I'd be severely lost if I didn't actually know where I was going without depending on Waze. When it works, its great....problem is it doesn't always work.
    01-18-11 01:34 PM
    First off, I'm sure the OP meant "voice guided navigation", as opposed to "voice activated".....

Now, to the fun stuff. I'm an active member of the Waze community, and I want to emphasize the word community. One post mentioned the maps were missing streets........ all the maps are user generated, so the solution to that is simple. ADD THEM. the app has a record roads feature. Activate that as you're driving down the missing road, and then log into the website and make sure it's all correct (GPS isnt perfect, so the road will look jagged sometimes) and voila! I agree it's not very "useful" in it's current state (I use the directions for fun, and to test them, at the moment.) The more users, the more effective it will become.

so don't give up! There's a long Waze to go, but we can do it!
    01-18-11 06:55 PM
    Thanks....I just downloaded and started to use. I now see that it isn't a typical naviagation program, but rather:

"......a 100% free turn-by-turn GPS navigation application that provides real-time traffic updates, plus all kinds of cool social and geo-gaming elements that actually make commuting fun. Wazers can actively update one another on traffic, police traps, construction, speedcams and more - and because it's user-generated, the more people who use it, the better (and more addicting) it gets!"'
    01-20-11 07:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD