If a blackberry is damaged - not enough that you can't pull the data off before it dies, but enough that you can't scroll into your messages, is there software that allows you to view unread text messages on your computer from the backup file?
    10-12-09 08:21 PM
    mIQ from Best Buy does something like this, but you need to have the app on the phone and syncing..
    10-12-09 09:00 PM
    The problem with this phone is that the second it finishes verifying security apps on startup, the screen goes blank, and no keys work. The computer sees it just fine and can get a backup file.

Is there a possibility of installing such an app while the phone is thus incapacitated? I just want to read the last eight text messages that I've heard the thing get. I am dying of curiosity.
    10-12-09 10:46 PM
    omg me too how can i read the txts
    12-02-09 11:07 PM
    If you already had mIQ you could access the texts no problem, but installing it on the old phone now won't do you any good in this case. Blackberry won't allow us to upload text messages present on the phone prior to installing and syncing mIQ Mobile.

Unlike other Open OS mobile phone platforms, BlackBerry does not support the types of developer APIs that we need in order for us to offer the full functionality present in the mIQ solution, so while we can pull old texts off a Windows Mobile or Symbian phone, we can't get them off a BlackBerry.

Sorry we can't be much help. Good luck!
    12-03-09 11:03 AM
    Just do a backup and transfer the databases onto a new device.
    12-03-09 04:08 PM
    Here are the steps Im taking while my blackberry is "in the rice" (I love that expression! Im going to use it more, instead of "in the process of:...")

Go to Desktop manger
    Backup/restore>Advanced

Add the messages you want to open.
    (IN my case I needed to see my SMS msgs and Email messages, but I only added one at a time.) You should only do ONE backup per type of message.

Press "back".

Under Backup, click options> and make sure "Backup device memory is UNCHECKED!

Backup your device.

OPen the file with Notepad, and copy the files to clipboard. (Cntrl+A)

Open microsoft word, and Paste.

This should give you a legible readout of your messages, and include the sender.

Good Luck!
    02-10-10 09:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD