Well, I got GPS to work on 3rd Party Apps on my Verizon Blackberry Bold 9650. So my question is... am I on to something here or has everyone else been able to do this for some time? I had a Curve 8330 and spent about 4 hours of a day once a year arguing with VZW tech support who always told me that my GPS would be locked to VZ Navigator, BB Maps, and maybe Google Maps (which eventually happened). So I don't know if this particular model has GPS enabled or if the steps I took are a real workaround. I am attaching screenshots of two apps that I had working today. One is a compass app and one is a GPS tracker. Each one shows that I am locked to satellites. Oh yeah, I am on OS v5.0.0.732 if that makes a difference.
    Last edited by adephue; 07-14-10 at 10:18 PM.
    07-14-10 10:09 PM
    Starting with the Storm, GPS is not locked.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-14-10 10:15 PM
    Nothing new about the 8330 being locked for GPS. Everything after that was unlocked. Sorry to hear you spent so much time with VZW support and your 8330!
    07-14-10 10:18 PM
    Good to know I guess. When I used my two-year upgrade from the Curve to the Bold, I walked into the VZW store and told the sales rep that I wanted a Blackberry with Wi-Fi and unlocked GPS for use w/ 3rd party apps (like the Droid). He told me that the unlocked GPS was impossible and that the GPS would be limited to VZ Navigator, BB Maps, and Google Maps. After he showed me the feature-set of the Bold, I upgraded anyway thinking that my GPS wouldn't work with 3rd party apps. All of that to say, I scoured the internet for a workaround and applied it... apparently now to discover that it was enabled all along. Oh well. Thanks for the info.
    07-14-10 10:27 PM
    Also shows how much verizon reps know or don't know. Sad.
    07-14-10 11:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD