Hi all,

New BB running the latest official OS6. When I enter the email set-up app, it prompts me to update and takes to my carrier's BIS website where I have to confirm update of the email set up app. Unfortunately, going through with this update will simply cause by BB to crash and I'll have to reload OS to get it back to working condition...

Is there anyway of by-passing this update?

At the moment, I have set up my email via by carrier's BIS site but I'd really like to be able to have the device email set up app working...

Thanks!
    tcart likes this.
    05-15-11 06:17 AM
    I assume you own a 9780 but your signature still says 9000.

Do not know what carrier you are suing but I suggest you go to their BIS site on your computer and set up your email their.

Not sure what you mean by your device having the latest OS but it could be your version's browser is unable to navigate the BIS site. That can be address after you get your mail set up.
    05-15-11 10:29 AM
    Yes, my new BB is the 9780.

As previously stated, email setup works perfectly fine on my carriers BIS page (through both my handheld's browser and desktop computer).

I would like to use the Email setup app on my handheld as I want to input the server information myself (trying to set up an IMAP gmail acct) and I found no way of doing this on my carrier's BIS page...

Problem is that when upgrading the email set-up app (which I cant override), it causes my device to crash.

Edit: all sorted now! Finally managed to get into manual set-up of email on my BIS page so I was able to change my gmail to IMAP.

Thanks anyway!
    Last edited by kevine310; 05-15-11 at 02:29 PM.
    05-15-11 01:26 PM
    My BB also requests an update when i enter email setup but i didn't go through with it! What is this?
    05-15-11 07:33 PM
    the prompt for the Email Setup Application update cant be avoided since it will prompt you to do the update each time you try to get into it. i know theres a bunch of threads regarding this in the last few days. you just need to let the update run its course and keep trying to get it to work.
    05-15-11 07:35 PM
    hi,

i have a bold 9700 and after i updated the email set up app i had to reboot my phone, but now it won't restart. it's frozen on the blackberry screen.
    i can't even connect it to the computer.

does anyone know how to fix this?

thanks
    05-18-11 07:09 AM
    hi,

i have a bold 9700 and after i updated the email set up app i had to reboot my phone, but now it won't restart. it's frozen on the blackberry screen.
    i can't even connect it to the computer.

does anyone know how to fix this?

thanks
    update:

my phone just started, now i can only see a list of the applications installed on the phone.

any idea?
    05-18-11 07:14 AM
    Same issue here. So frustrating. Don't know what to do. Going to keep the batter out for a while and see what happens

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-18-11 04:16 PM
    this is honestly the worst thing. stuck at work and cant communicate with anyone. how is this even a possible download?

05-18-11 05:39 PM
    On my 9650 with Verizon. I have the same issue with the email setup upgrade. It is the 6.11 update. I downloaded it a couple days ago and it crashed my BB.

Has anyone reached out to RIM for a solution??? Or do we need to go to our carrier?? Thanks!
    05-21-11 09:05 AM
    Hey guys i'm new to the site but i had the same bs email setup issue, however i have solved the problem. first wipe your phone if you don't know how to do that you can follow it here:
    open the command prompt and type the following
    cd C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\loader.exe /resettofactory

after you have done this you might get a few errors when you try to reconnect you phone that's fine

before you do the next step ensure that you have the BB OS you want on your phone downloaded and installed on you computer

now go back to the the command prompt and type the following:
    cd C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\loader.exe

now walk through the loader, there will come a point where it will say that it can not connect to your device and do you want to retry, at this point click ignore and the loader should proceed as it would normally if your device was connected.

This worked for me and my phone is back up and running after 2 very frustrating days of forum hunting and calling my provider who provided as much help as possible considering my phone is unlocked and he never really had to do anything for me.

good luck and cheers
    05-27-11 12:26 AM
    Hey guys i'm new to the site but i had the same bs email setup issue, however i have solved the problem. first wipe your phone if you don't know how to do that you can follow it here:
    open the command prompt and type the following
    cd C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\loader.exe /resettofactory

after you have done this you might get a few errors when you try to reconnect you phone that's fine

before you do the next step ensure that you have the BB OS you want on your phone downloaded and installed on you computer

now go back to the the command prompt and type the following:
    cd C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\loader.exe

now walk through the loader, there will come a point where it will say that it can not connect to your device and do you want to retry, at this point click ignore and the loader should proceed as it would normally if your device was connected.

This worked for me and my phone is back up and running after 2 very frustrating days of forum hunting and calling my provider who provided as much help as possible considering my phone is unlocked and he never really had to do anything for me.

good luck and cheers
    Any idea how to perform the above with ising Mac OS?

Disappointed with Blackberry honestly.

Mine is Bold 9700
    05-27-11 08:23 AM
    Same issue with my 9700 when the Email Setup Application update froze me up.
    Here's how I managed to fix it in about an hour using a mac.

Do a battery pull and be patient for it to load back up. Get your BB to the application list screen again.

Plug it into the mac.

Close BB Desktop.

Find KB18998 on Blackberry.com support pages. "How to reset the BlackBerry smartphone to factory default"

Follow the mac instructions laid out for terminal (under Applications->Utilities).

Be verrrry patient (this step took an hour with multiple automatic BB reboots to complete). I picked my OS 6 to reinstall automatically on the options.

When it reboots for the last time, use BB desktop restore to load your last back up back onto your BB, and you're back at start at least.

Now, what to do about the Email Setup Application update? I have no clue.
    06-03-11 12:13 AM
    It also happened to me last week. I had to re-install the Old OS. Then Upgraded to the New OS for Torch 9800.

I decided not to try the email settings .
    06-22-11 01:31 PM
    I was able to update the email set up app on the hybrid 9700 .600/ 9780 .570 I put together. Now I'm running the 9780 .576 and also updated the email set up app without any problems.
    06-22-11 05:51 PM
    Running 6.0.0.600 (leaked) on my Torch (9800), and did the email setup update and had no problems. Sorry others are having some issues with it.
    06-22-11 07:17 PM
    Mine hasn't crashed yet, using 6.0.0.600. No crashes, reloads or the stuff
    I guess I could say I'm lucky?

06-22-11 08:40 PM
    I had this problem a few weeks ago so I spoke with somebody at RIM i was told that it is a known issue and they are working to resolve it. I was told as a work around you just need to update to the latest available OS using Desktop Manager for WINDOWS, I was reloading my phone from my MAC everytime, once I reloaded on WIDOWS it updated with no issue
    06-22-11 09:12 PM
    I updated the email setup app twice. Once with the leaked .576 and once with the leaked .600 on my 9700 (AT&T). I experienced no issued with whatsoever.

Have a good one.
    06-23-11 09:38 AM
    Same thing happened to me - was offered an OTA update for the email setup app and the phone is now hanging on the startup screen. I've phoned it and it rings but can see no other way to resolve than to reload the OS - can't find any responses from Blackberry on this, this only happened an hour ago so it seems the problem is just being ignored? We will certainly spread the word to all our clients with blackberries not to accept the update.
    06-24-11 02:46 PM
    hi again - unable to get the dead device to be picked up by the loader, in bbdm it's continually saying connecting but never actually connects - is there no key holding power off combination etc to perform a hard reset on these things?
    06-24-11 03:15 PM
    Now resolved - in the end the quickest way I found to recover was to go to BB site for the upgrade to OS6 - it runs an applet that tells you there are no upgrades but lets you reload OS5 back to the device - pretty quick and phone worked again, then in BB Desktop Manager it prompts to upgrade to 6 again, once this is done, recover from a backup and you're back in action - it still prompts to do the email setup update, hopefully blackberry will fix this but in the meantime would be good if they could pull the update.
    06-24-11 04:48 PM
    How do I reset my email on my blackberry torch 9800 after my blackberry has crashed. I am not receiving any emails on my phone.
    01-25-13 09:41 AM
    How do I reset my email on my blackberry torch 9800 after my blackberry has crashed. I am not receiving any emails on my phone.
    Resend the servicebooks.
    01-25-13 11:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD