Got email about an "update" from RIM at 3:31 CST.

"An update of BlackBerry� Device Software version 5.0 is available. This update includes optimizations and enhancements approved by your wireless service provider."

Initially thought this was old news (upgraded to 328 from 323 on Sunday and have run DM a number of times since), but when I fired up DM to Synch contacts later this morning it immediately informed that an "update of core apps" was available, which was not there yesterday ...

It only took as few minutes, no where near the time it takes to do a full OS install.

If it was indeed an update 328, wonder what was "updated"?
    10-28-09 04:57 AM
    I got the same thing this morning. I used shrink-os so I am holding off till we see reports of what it is and does. I don't want it to put anything back on my phone that I shrunk out.
    10-28-09 05:33 AM
    I got the same thing this morning. I used shrink-os so I am holding off till we see reports of what it is and does. I don't want it to put anything back on my phone that I shrunk out.
    Yeah ... hate to be a guinea pig, but too late now. What I do notice immediately is that it booted up with about 5 MB less memory?
    10-28-09 06:07 AM
    i too got that... i am curious what its all about?
    10-28-09 06:16 AM
    I was wondering about this. After it was done I now have a new icon on the home screen "My Verizon". Not sure what it is or does.
    Anybody know?
    10-28-09 06:24 AM
    I was wondering about this. After it was done I now have a new icon on the home screen "My Verizon". Not sure what it is or does.
    Anybody know?
    i did not install the core updates and that shortcut appeared earlier during a random reboot - maybe it wasn't so random? lol
    10-28-09 06:28 AM
    My Verizon just goes to your Verizon account online. You can track your minutes, texts, etc. Pretty much useless for a Storm with the unlimited data plan (except for the texts which they charge separately for - what part of unlimited don't you understand Verizon?)
    10-28-09 06:36 AM
    What version of DM are you all using?

They is no actual update but there is a known glitch with some versions of DM where it pops this message up for no reason
    10-28-09 06:38 AM

They is no actual update but there is a known glitch with some versions of DM where it pops this message up for no reason
    5.0.0.11 ... with service pack installed.
    10-28-09 06:49 AM
    Anybody know?
    I believe that was a separate "push" by VZW ...
    10-28-09 06:51 AM
    weird.... i have nothing.
    10-28-09 06:56 AM

I'm also using the lateest with the service pack.
    10-28-09 07:07 AM
    I'm using the latest version and the service pack.
    I know that the My Verizon wasnt there on the way into work but it was there after the update.
    10-28-09 08:08 AM
    themy verizon thng is not connected, its another push shortcut just like the VZW tones and such.

Generally its best not to update the "core" applications, like i said its a glitch. Normally it will just reload files and cause the user to have to set the BB up again and not updating anything at all.
    10-28-09 08:16 AM
    Generally its best not to update the "core" applications, like i said its a glitch. Normally it will just reload files and cause the user to have to set the BB up again and not updating anything at all.
    I notice that the install dates for the core apps are still the same (although that might not change if they were updated?), and you're right, all it did on the surface was to cause BB to have to be reloaded again, although when it was done during 4.7 days, it did not do that.

The only other issue I see is that it definitely did cause 5 MB decrease in boot up memory ... there is NO doubt of that whatsoever, as it was one of the things I've checked repeatedly and recently since Sunday when going from 323 to 328... might just be an aberration, although numerous battery pulls has had no effect.

Thanks for info/help ... I'd forgotten completely about the DM core app update issue in the past.
    10-28-09 08:45 AM
    it sometimes happens if you shrink the OS and then this updates puts the crap back on there, hence the memory being less.
    10-28-09 09:10 AM
    Still think it's very weird that I've never seen any of these "pushed" icons everyone always complains about.

(I'm certainly not concerned about it though...)
    10-29-09 08:46 AM
    I've noticed a slight drop in memory as well at boot-up, not as much as yours. Still need to explore if there was anything added that I didn't want/need.

What was strange was first time the phone rebooted after the update the problem with white bars in landscape mode wasn't found. I was shocked when I turned to landscape mode and it all looked fine. However I rebooted to see if it was indeed fixed and found that the problem occurred again after rebooting. Not sure why the first time the problem wasn't encountered, but was hopeful.
    10-29-09 08:48 AM
    Still think it's very weird that I've never seen any of these "pushed" icons everyone always complains about.

(I'm certainly not concerned about it though...)
    Maybe you're not as special as the rest of us. Consider yourself lucky.
    10-29-09 08:52 AM
    I too got that e-mail this morning.

Is everyone saying to disregard this e-mail? Is there really an update?
    10-29-09 09:07 AM

Is everyone saying to disregard this e-mail? Is there really an update?
    IMO, I don't think there is, but there is really no way to prove that from the phone AFAIK. All that shows at file level on the phone is the install date.

As has been noted, there is/was an issue with DM falsely doing this in a past version, but whether it's the old DM issue back again, is anyone's guess.

Could it have to do with whether you installed the OS from an .exe, or through DM? ...idk, I used the .exe. What did you use?

It apparently didn't hurt anything, it apparently didn't improve anything ... but it did shut DM up, if nothing else.

In order to get the startup memory back to pre DM "core app" update, I ended up removing apps I rarely used any way. Since doing that, I have noticed that the memory on my device, despite it's hard use yesterday, did not fluctuate as much as 1 MB during 16 hours of use! (haven't seen that kind of memory stability since .151) ... so if nothing else, being a dummy and pulling the trigger on allowing the "Core App" update that DM insisted upon, was ultimately worth it for me, but not necessarily from the actual "update" itself.

YMMV ...
    Last edited by karlac; 10-29-09 at 09:58 AM. Reason: formatting
    10-29-09 09:54 AM
    IME, the RIM email is vague and ambiguous to the point of hindering comprehension ... you can read it a couple of ways. But I've finally concluded that it was an after the fact announcement of what we already knew ... that a new, official OS was released for Storm1, and had nothing to do with an update to that OS ... the DM issue just made it more so.
    10-29-09 10:05 AM
    I too saw this message when I went into DM.

If you look under the update at details and the modules you will see what the difference is.
    I note the following modules not installed that are to be installed (note - I did not shrink but went from the VZW .exe)

net_rim_bb_medialoader_accessibility
    net_rim_vad_resource__en_GB
    net_rim_vad_engine_resource__en_GB
    net_rim_vad_resource__fr
    net_rim_vad_engine_resource__fr
    net_rim_vad_engine_resource__fr_CA
    net_rim_vad_resource__es
    net_rim_vad_engine_resource__es_MX
    net_rim_vad_engine_resource__es
    net_rim_vad_resource__pt
    net_rim_vad_engine_resource__pt
    net_rim_vad_resource__pt_BR
    net_rim_vad_engine_resource__pt_BR

I can only guess these are other localized language packs:
    en GB= Great Britain English
    fr= French
    fr_CA = French Canadian
    es = Spanish
    es_MX = Mexico

Not sure about the others.

Since this looks like extra crap I do not need - I did not install.
    10-29-09 10:33 AM
    I too saw this message when I went into DM.

If you look under the update at details and the modules you will see what the difference is.
    I note the following modules not installed that are to be installed (note - I did not shrink but went from the VZW .exe)

net_rim_bb_medialoader_accessibility
    net_rim_vad_resource__en_GB
    net_rim_vad_engine_resource__en_GB
    net_rim_vad_resource__fr
    net_rim_vad_engine_resource__fr
    net_rim_vad_engine_resource__fr_CA
    net_rim_vad_resource__es
    net_rim_vad_engine_resource__es_MX
    net_rim_vad_engine_resource__es
    net_rim_vad_resource__pt
    net_rim_vad_engine_resource__pt
    net_rim_vad_resource__pt_BR
    net_rim_vad_engine_resource__pt_BR

I can only guess these are other localized language packs:
    en GB= Great Britain English
    fr= French
    fr_CA = French Canadian
    es = Spanish
    es_MX = Mexico

Not sure about the others.

Since this looks like extra crap I do not need - I did not install.
    Makes perfect sense ... IOW, the .328 .exe we downloaded was, in effect, apparently "pre-shrunk"?

If that was indeed the case, it would have been nice to have known that prior to installation, for obvious reasons.
    10-29-09 10:40 AM
    I'm not sure if this is because I plugged in my Storm to DM and did the Core Update like DM prompted me to do, or whether it was some secretive OTA update that RIM/Verizon did when I wasn't aware, but the screen dimming issue seems to be fixed.

If you have the "Automatically Dim Backlight" setting to "On", it will dim in both portrait and landscape settings if you move to a dark room or if you cover the LED sensor. And, if you have this setting to "Off", it will NOT dim whether you have the LED sensor covered, move to a dark room, or switch to landscape from portrait mode like it used to dim.

Only time will tell whether this dimming issue/bug is truly fixed. Until then, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
    10-29-09 10:43 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD