My searches have come up empty for a universal e-book reader. Does anyone know if there is a universal e-book reader for the blackberry? I would like to read ebooks regarless of what ebook type it is or where I purchased the ebook. Some of my ebooks have DRMs attached to them so I think I'm SOL but I though I would ask anyway.
    12-06-10 02:12 PM
    My wife loves to read eBooks on her 9700, and we've also come up empty trying to find a decent reader. The best I could do was to install MobiPocket on her phone (only handles .mobi format), then to convert all her PDF, PRC, LIT, etc eBooks to .mobi format using Calibre. It's not a perfect solution, but I think it's the best you can hope for until some third party developer decides to make some multi-format software.
    12-06-10 03:00 PM
    Yeah, I looked into Calibre but if your ebook has a DRM attached Calibre will not convert it. And what really upsets me, when you buy an ebook you don't know it has a DRM attached until you purchase it.
    12-06-10 03:07 PM
    Yeah, I looked into Calibre but if your ebook has a DRM attached Calibre will not convert it. And what really upsets me, when you buy an ebook you don't know it has a DRM attached until you purchase it.
    You'll find this pretty much everywhere. The DRM is usually in place so that ONLY the certain provider's software can open it- thus no third-party reader/converter can do anything with it. I stopped buying DRM stuff long ago for this and other reasons. It's like buying a movie that only plays in certain brand DVD players
    12-06-10 03:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD