Just like a PC running windows, when uninstalling a program from the add/remove programs list, there are still alot of traces left behind in the registry and system folders that has be to removed manually. For the Blackberry Bold, I know removing it from the applications list does not remove all traces, reason I know that is because when I reinstall the program, it goes back to the same exact folder I moved it to instead of the download folder plus it still has my custom settings and personal information saved in the application.

How do I completely uninstall and remove all traces of an application or is there a program that I can buy that does that for the Bold?
    04-25-09 02:11 AM
    It's not nearly the same thing as windows registry or system folders. This is one of the major pluses of the BB OS compared to WM. You can basically install and uninstall all day.

You can view the appdata with any file explorer app or in Media > Explore, but there isn't much to delete.

Icon arrangement is per theme, not related to app data and no need to delete that either.
    04-25-09 02:33 AM
    Ok, I understand part of that, but how do you explain when the application is reinstalled, your custom settings and login information is still in the program without you even having to retype that in. It's pretty much the same results for several programs that I reinstalled. For example, I downloaded a radio station programmed that does not require a login. I created my favorite playlist stations and saved it. I uninstalled the app, rebooted my phone, reinstalled the app, and my saved playlist is still there without me having to recreate it. That means there are still some traces of the application left somewhere in the OS after it's removed. Same for Weatherbug, uninstalled it and reinstalled it, my information is already saved in there without having to redo my city/zip.
    04-25-09 05:08 AM
    If you goto options, Adv options, Applications then hit the bb menu key. Scroldown to modules. Look around for anything related to yoyr application and delete it. Reboot. Good to go

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-25-09 05:36 AM
    Excuse the terrible spelling, driving and helping lol!

04-25-09 05:37 AM
    You could buy an app called memory (?) optimizer by mobihand. Its supposed to clean up and maximize the available memory and I believe that includes traces of uninstalled apps. Tronyx did a review of that app in one of the threads in this section. Go check it out.

04-25-09 02:00 PM
    I installed Qik last week. It was horrible. Didn't work properly and slowed down my BB big time. Anyway I uninstalled it right away.

I was in BBFileScout yesterday and I found a Qik log left in my SD card!!
    04-25-09 11:50 PM
    The steps that Toddboy71 provided doesn't work. When you delete the application and reboot the phone, looking for that particular app in the modules section are already gone when the application is deleted. I also read up on the memory optimizer program that squish101 referred me to, there was some mixed reviews on that and to me I don't think it looks like it removes any traces from uninstalled programs. Here's another perfect example: When you first install an application, you have to agree to the license, after I reinstalled the application several times it never prompted me to agree to the license again and just went straight into the application. I just don't understand why BB made it so hard to look for these remained traces.
    04-26-09 04:15 AM
    Todd's instructions work, they just assume you didn't remove the app in any other way before hand.

Sounds to me like you just installed a garbage app or didn't reboot your device after uninstall.
    04-26-09 04:21 AM
    Bl1ze - I did reboot the phone after I uninstalled the program. But as I noted in my previous posts, it doesn't just happen in 1 app, it's several. I'm not having problems with any of the apps. I was just testing out the uninstall/reinstall procedures. So what you're telling me is, instead of deleting the application by clicking the menu button>delete, I should just go straight to the modules section and remove it from there? And after I do that of course I will reboot my phone, reinstall that app and instead of going straight into the app and seeing my saved info and custom settings, it should start off new and ask me to agree to the license again, is that correct?
    04-26-09 04:47 AM
    last week I've got Bold. learning how to install and uninstall..it helps. thanks
    05-03-09 06:32 AM
    I agree with the OP. When I've updated an OS - even after doing a complete wipe - when reloading third party apps which were there before, the icons go into an APPS folder in the correct position as they were before. New apps' icon go into the download folder.

Obviously there is some cookie-like remnant of the app which tells the OS where to put the icon.
    05-03-09 09:48 AM
    By deleting all cache contents and cookies from the status menu you can get the program to ask you again for your agreement to terms.

However, there are still some traces out there.I found this as I installed a 30 day trial version of slingbx and as it expired, I removed it and re-installed it back, and the registration check cameback as expired. Also the location of the icon remained in the same place as before the uninstall

BB
    05-04-09 08:14 PM
    It's theme settings that retain the icon positions, not specific remnants of the app that you need to remove. You aren't really gaining anything if you wanted to remove the icon positions in the setting of a single theme...
    05-04-09 08:22 PM
    i am having a problem on my 9530, had a issue with e-mobile today pro messing with my contacts on my phone i removed it and reinstalled but still has the same problem it did not have this problem the whole time using it so being able to fully remove a program from these phones would be a good idea cause its obviously remebering that thing that caused it to wig out on my contacts ;[
    05-08-09 06:52 PM
    i am having a problem on my 9530, had a issue with e-mobile today pro messing with my contacts on my phone i removed it and reinstalled but still has the same problem it did not have this problem the whole time using it so being able to fully remove a program from these phones would be a good idea cause its obviously remebering that thing that caused it to wig out on my contacts ;[
    Not necessarily. Installs are not sandbox installs so you have no guarantee that this would be the case.

Even if you completely remove all traces of the app it's not going to undo anything that ever occurred.
    05-08-09 07:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD