So I have just been contacted by my mobile provider to tell me that i have 'exceeded' my unlimited internet usage.
    They told me that, because of UberTwitter, my credit limit was exceeded and that I have actually been PAYING for the use of it.

Can anyone PLEASE throw a bit of light onto this for me?

Apparently...I can browse the internet fine without charge, but UberTwitter is using up incredible amounts of data.
    Is there any way around this?

Of course...failing this...I could just go to Twitter though my browser...but I don't really want to have to do that.
    I have only had the phone 2 weeks and I've already exceeded my credit limit!!! (huge bill awaits)

If anybody has ANY info on this it would be much appreciated.

Many thanks
    Jamie
    01-05-10 03:03 AM
    When you set it up, how often did you have it refresh? If you change the refresh rate from every 10 minutes to every 4 hours or "Only when I open UberTwitter" that should take a huge chunk out of your data usage.

EDIT: If you can't find how to do this (I don't use UberTwitter too often and have forgotten myself, but I know the option's there), scan my barcode (it's my avatar) and I can walk you through it on bbm.
    01-05-10 03:17 AM
    how can you exceed a unlimited plan? i use ubertwitter alot and have not seen a change in data usage compared to the past month.
    01-05-10 05:31 AM
    That's just a bit weird. I started with a 50mb plan months ago and I did not even exceed that for a heavy usage of just ubertwitter.
    01-05-10 05:47 AM
    You can use the internet but not ubertwitter? That's fishy
    Last edited by mr fun; 01-05-10 at 06:03 AM.
    01-05-10 05:59 AM
    Sounds like something else is affecting the usage , also how does the carrier now what program it is??? ( never heard of a carrier that can tell you what apps your using and that its using too much data)
    01-05-10 09:12 AM
    I don't know what kind of bandwidth limit you have, but UT does not use THAT much data. If you are on a limited data plan you should not be running any apps that update constantly, as you probably have no way of knowing how much data is being transferred.

As for someone telling you it was Ubertwitter, I assume that they specifically ASKED you what kind of apps you have running on your phone, you then mentioned UT and they told you it was the culprit, because I also agree that they have no way of knowing what apps you are running, you had to have told them this. And it is not just ubertwitter, you would have this same issue with any data-intensive app.

Switch up to a unlimited data plan or cut back on the apps.... keep a close eye on your data usage, there is probably a way that you can track it to keep tabs...
    01-05-10 10:31 AM
    And maybe you should look under connection options what you use BIS/BES/WAP/WiFi...
    01-05-10 10:33 AM
    Or you could consider a data tracker to monitor your data usage. Mobile Data Alerter has served me well. Try googling it to find a DL source. It's free.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-05-10 11:08 AM
    Did you happen to ask your carrier how you exceeded an unlimited plan?
    01-05-10 11:25 AM
    I have UT set to refresh every 5min, never shut it off, and my biggest usage was 1gb. Sprint alots you 5gb per month. What is your carriers "unlimited" amount?
    01-05-10 11:30 AM
    i have another question concerning the new ut, do anyone know how i can get the notifications to show up?
    01-05-10 11:32 AM
    You need to check the boxes is the options menu. It's towards the end of the wizard.
    01-05-10 11:38 AM
    i have the box selected in the option area but i am not getting notification.
    01-05-10 11:56 AM
    Exceeded an "unlimited" data plan??? Hmm... I would figure out the details on that. Most carriers offer 5GB of data per billing cycle which is A LOT of data!!!
    01-05-10 05:37 PM
    The OP is with a non-standard carrier it appears.
    01-05-10 07:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD