Question #1) Is there a list of apps and their definitions that come by default with the 4.5 OS? I have been searching the forums but have come across only a few individual apps. It would be nice to have a sticky about what each app is in the App Loader, and if it's essential. Please check my conclusions on the following apps:

BlackBerry Attachment Service:
    I'm assuming that this allows you to receive attachments to emails?

BlackBerry Maps:
    This is a simple maps program, but from what I've read other 3rd party software programs use it (like weatherbug). Any idea which other apps use this one?

BlackBerry MDS Runtime and default launcher:
    This is for Enterprise users, correct? I have no idea what it does.

Blackberry Messenger:
    An instant messaging service that you don't get charged for! This goes through BlackBerry's servers and uses your data plan, not text messaging plan from your carrier.

BlackBerry S/MIME Support Package:
    Something to do with email, perhaps?

DOD Root Certificates:
    I read somewhere that DOD refers to Department of Defense... not sure what this app does though.

Question #2)

I get an error message every time I try to run my Email setup application, that my gateway is bad. I figured that I could uninstall the setup app and reinstall it, but it's greyed out. Any ideas?
    04-24-09 02:29 PM
    Check the CrackBerry Memory Optimization Procedure that's linked in my sig. Reed gives a thumbnail description of each of the apps in the OS list. The info is also in your User Guide. The MOP is well worth your time.
    04-24-09 02:32 PM
    I just knew it was a matter of finding the right query, lol. Thanks so much for the link.
    04-24-09 03:03 PM
    The email setup program is still greyed out to be uninstalled/reinstalled. When I use the app on my phone I'm still getting the gateway error message.
    04-24-09 03:14 PM
    Woot! I figured it out. I just got a replacement phone and I needed to go into the blackberry mail site at my provider's website and change which phone it was pointed to. The account was still pointed to the old phone pin, which is why it couldn't find it. I've received a bb email from the tmobile site, so I'm assuming that it all works now. I'm not even going to bother with the setup app.
    04-24-09 03:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD