Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree15Likes
  • 5 Post By vpblaze
  • 2 Post By cntrydncr223
  • 1 Post By tonyron227
  • 2 Post By triplefan
  • 2 Post By Zwickliffe
  • 3 Post By Ben Bubble
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    881 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Trial Idea

I have been thinking about a idea for Appworld lately. Not taking it seriously because it probably would never happen. But here it is:
    What if apps in appworld all came with a trial for them? Do you think more apps would be purchased?
    It doesnt even have to be a long trial. For me i can usually tell within the first five minutes to half hour whether or not the app was worth it and will benefit me.
    I am not against buying apps. Spending a few bucks here or there is nothing big. I can think of worst ways to spend money. The thing that really pisses me off is when I pay a couple bucks for a app and it turns out to be utterly useless. So if there was a option for a 30 minute trial I think a lot of people would benefit from it.
    Take for instance the email++ app. I read some good things about it and went to appworld to check it out. Downloaded the free trial. It turns out the app really isnt for me and just deleted it. No harm no foul and I am not short a few bucks now.
    So what do others think? Would this be a handy function for some or am I just ******** about a personal problem?
    Thanked by:
    alexislgz (01-20-2012) 
    CrackBerry Genius

I agree, wholeheartedly. I think more folks would buy more apps if they could try them out.

I'm not even a little opposed to purchasing an app I like or can use.

What I am opposed to, however, is purchasing it (because there's no trial), finding out it won't work or don't like it, then having to go through a whole lotta drama to get the money back. This has stopped me from buying apps that have no trial to them.
    “The true victory of Nichiren Buddhism is found in transforming misunderstanding into understanding, conflict into trust, and division into unity through the power of the Mystic Law.” ~ Daisaku Ikeda, SGI-USA President
    tonyron227 and alexislgz like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    116 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vpblaze View Post
    I have been thinking about a idea for Appworld lately. Not taking it seriously because it probably would never happen. But here it is:
    What if apps in appworld all came with a trial for them? Do you think more apps would be purchased?
    It doesnt even have to be a long trial. For me i can usually tell within the first five minutes to half hour whether or not the app was worth it and will benefit me.
    I am not against buying apps. Spending a few bucks here or there is nothing big. I can think of worst ways to spend money. The thing that really pisses me off is when I pay a couple bucks for a app and it turns out to be utterly useless. So if there was a option for a 30 minute trial I think a lot of people would benefit from it.
    Take for instance the email++ app. I read some good things about it and went to appworld to check it out. Downloaded the free trial. It turns out the app really isnt for me and just deleted it. No harm no foul and I am not short a few bucks now.
    So what do others think? Would this be a handy function for some or am I just ******** about a personal problem?
    I was thinking the same thing. I hate blowing good money on apps I can't use. A trial period would allow me to try what I am afraid to buy.
    Tonyrón - One Day at a Time
    Z10-STL100-3, 10.2.0.1791
    alexislgz likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

I agree completely. Only tonight I read about 'Detoday' app by accident. I went to BB app world and saw they offered a free trial so downloaded it.

If there wasn't a free trial, within three days I would have forgotten about it. Now when the trial is up I will deffinately buy it as I know already its a big help.
    CrackBerry Genius

i agree. most of the times i look seriously at an app and dont purchase it its because theres a possibility i will never use it after the purchase.
    CrackBerry User

Great idea, much like Android Market where you automatically have a refund period of 15 mins.
    vpblaze and CDM76 like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I definitely agree too... I think its a great marketing strategy and its really up to the developers but not all of them think it's worth it.
    Maybe by creating threads about that will incite some to do it :P

Its mostly that kind of apps only that I get on my playbook...
  8. m1n
    CrackBerry User

I second that. Personally had such experience a couple of times- you buy something and immediately uninstall it, wrong expectations May be some short time for refund ( triplefan, [#6] ) makes very much sense.
    ipsa scentia potestas est
    -------------------------------
    8100> 9000> 9700> 9900|7.1.0.569
    CrackBerry Abuser

I think it would force developers to make better apps, too. No one will be dooped into buying an app that sounds cool on paper but has problems running if they notice when they trial. It seems like a win-win situation to me. More quality apps, more purchases!
    Thanked by:
    CDM76 (01-20-2012) 
    vpblaze and CDM76 like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    291DC0F4

I'm looking to develop some apps in the next few months with a partner of mine. This is something we have already discussed. Our outlook at the moment will be very much of a trial app that does everything you need it to do for 24hrs. So you can take it for a 'Test-Run' - After that, the app will lock all settings albeit the basic content, allowing the app to still be used - but without all the advanced and feature rich content. To re-open the content, users would have to purchase the app.
    BlackBerry. One of My Five A Day.
    pmccartney, vpblaze and CDM76 like this.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,207 Global Posts

Hopefully the new CrackBerry App (http://tiny.cc/2q7sd) will incorporate this into CrackBerry's App store !!! Any app purchased thru the app gives user 30 minutes to decide if likes it and get a refund .....
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    881 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

In the end I think developer would see more apps downloaded. More times then not a app is worth a buck or two. I am just not willing to risk buying twenty crappy 2 dollar apps and not be pleased.
    With the android market, is there any catches to the 15 minute refund? Or is it a honest and simple "I downloaded the app and hate it, so I am going to click refund now." I had no idea they incorporated a refund.....
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    881 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

Quote Originally Posted by iBenRowe View Post
    I'm looking to develop some apps in the next few months with a partner of mine. This is something we have already discussed. Our outlook at the moment will be very much of a trial app that does everything you need it to do for 24hrs. So you can take it for a 'Test-Run' - After that, the app will lock all settings albeit the basic content, allowing the app to still be used - but without all the advanced and feature rich content. To re-open the content, users would have to purchase the app.

On a side note, I think this would be a very professional way to create and distribute a app. It gives the user the chance to 'test run' it as you say. Then if they dont like it then no hard feelings and they arent out anything. If they do like it, then they are going into the purchase with happy spirits and looking forward to using the app.
    CrackBerry User

but then Kevin won't buy $500 Clock apps any more!!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    929 Global Posts

I would kill for this.... seriously. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's emailed a developer prior to purchase with a few questions, only to be lied to so I'd make the purchase. I have no idea how to go about getting a refund if the developer won't offer one
    BlackBerry pulls the plug on themes: https://twitter.com/#!/BlackBerryDev...73487468920834 :< need to rally the troops and convince RIM we want themes on BB10!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    658 Global Posts
    PIN
    DEADBEEF

I like the idea, but how about going just a tiny bit further? If I don't buy the app, I want it removed from my uninstalled list.

Operation Lifesaver presenter - Look, Listen & Live - www.oli.org

"Reading the documentation fully is a prerequisite to getting help for your particular situation. I know it's harsh but you will have to get so far on your own before you can get reasonable help from a list full of busy people. A mailing list is not a tool to speed up your day by being spoon fed." -- Simon White
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by hytran View Post
    I like the idea, but how about going just a tiny bit further? If I don't buy the app, I want it removed from my uninstalled list.
    OMG, that's on my list of pet peeves as well!
    Thanks for saying that!
    “The true victory of Nichiren Buddhism is found in transforming misunderstanding into understanding, conflict into trust, and division into unity through the power of the Mystic Law.” ~ Daisaku Ikeda, SGI-USA President
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Juggalo20 View Post
    I would kill for this.... seriously. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's emailed a developer prior to purchase with a few questions, only to be lied to so I'd make the purchase. I have no idea how to go about getting a refund if the developer won't offer one
    Well, don't kill anyone, lol.
    I've had a recent experience purchasing an app. It didn't work.
    Contacted App world, who (after days of waiting) told me to contact the developer.
    Contacted the developer, who prompty told me to contact app world.
    And so the ride begins.

Finally, I called ATT, who escalated my call to BB CS. They contacted the developer, let them know, and then refunded my credit card.

It's the long way around, and I couldn't give 2 hoots about 3 or 4 bucks. But after a while, it becomes "the principle of the thing".

Hey, I'm not lookin' to rip you off, but I don't wanna get short changed either.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    14,949 Global Posts

....and I thought I was the only one who thought a trial period on apps and games was a excellent idea. I've been saying and posting this idea in various threads for approx 3 months. This Is a very good idea because all games and apps are not for all users and a trial period could determine if its for you or not for you
    CrackBerry Abuser

I don't agree. Do you ask for a taste of a coffee before buying one? Why should buying apps be any different? Buy it, if you don't like it move on and don't whine about your $0.99.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    881 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #21  

I dont think many people are whining. Just brain storming something that would be ideal. It also comes to quality control. With a trial for apps it motivates the developer to design a app that is going to make people want to buy the full version. Instead of not caring whether or not people like it.
    CrackBerry Genius

And then there's the possibility that if they do like it, they'll tell their friends.
    Of course, if they don't like it, they'll tell all their friends.