Just wondering what you all do since everyone seems to LOVE google maps so much better than blackberry maps. Does everyone delete/uninstall the preloaded blackberry maps and just go for Google? Also, can you tell me what some of the advantages actually are for Googmaps over blackberry maps?
    02-04-09 10:49 PM
    I do... Just thought BBmaps sucked compared to G-maps ... Its just that good and free

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-05-09 12:51 AM
    I dumped BB Maps because my carrier AT&T wants to charge me a monthly fee to use their Map software and I figured, why waste precious memory space on it when I can get Google for free and it can actually give me directions?

Just my .02

02-05-09 10:00 AM
    BBMaps is slow (apart from having less features and looking horrible).

A lot of the time map areas don't load for no reason, map data loads slower, etc, etc...
    Last edited by papped; 02-05-09 at 04:57 PM.
    02-05-09 12:22 PM
    You can leave the native BB maps on the system...just "hide" it.

I never found the BBmaps useful since it is too flat. Google has a lot more features especially satellite and street views (as available) and good directions.
    02-06-09 09:38 PM
    I dumped BB Maps because my carrier AT&T wants to charge me a monthly fee to use their Map software and I figured, why waste precious memory space on it when I can get Google for free and it can actually give me directions?

Just my .02

ditto. why buy the cow when you can get the milk (and BETTER milk at that) for free.
    02-07-09 12:48 AM
    Yep. I compared the two, and it was no real contest. BBMaps went bye-bye.

02-07-09 02:00 AM
    I still keep BlackBerry Maps installed for several reasons. It allows you to add a street address from your BlackBerry address book as start or end points when getting directions. As long as the contacts from your address books have an address. It allows you to send directions or your location to someone else via Email, SMS Text, MMS,or PIN. When viewing your directions using BlackBerry Maps, just hit the Menu Key and choose View On Map. When hitting the Menu Key again it will give you quite a few options. This is useful for sending your location or directions to someone with a BlackBerry that has BlackBerry Maps. They can pull the directions or your location up on their device. When sending directions to an Email address for those that wish to pull them up on a PC, they'll be provided a link and Step by Step directions. They will not be able to really use the link, so you can delete it when Emailing it to them.
    So the next time someone calls and says "how do I get to your house?". You can create driving directions from their address to yours. Send those directions as a MMS or Email (you can use SMS, only if the directions are less than 160 characters), and then send it to them. Remember to keep the link in the message if they have a phone with BlackBerry Maps, or remove the link for those that do not. They'll just have the Step by Step directions only.
    Even though Google Maps is a great application, it lacks those features. That's why I still have both applications installed.

02-07-09 03:01 AM
    I keep BBMaps because Verizon does not let the gps work with anything else.

02-08-09 09:44 AM
    I never realized you could e-mail, MMS, PIN or text directions. I never use BBMaps, I prefer WLS mapping. I haven't deleted it, but with that little directions feature, I think I'll just keep it hidden on my list of launchers until somebody asks me for directions.

Great tip!

02-08-09 04:04 PM
    If you enable geo-tagging when you take picutes with your device (Bold for me), locating where you took that pic only seems to work with BBMaps.

02-08-09 04:09 PM
    I deleted my BBMaps the day I got the phone. I see no use for it.
    02-08-09 04:14 PM
    I still keep BlackBerry Maps installed for several reasons. It allows you to add a street address from your BlackBerry address book as start or end points when getting directions. As long as the contacts from your address books have an address. It allows you to send directions or your location to someone else via Email, SMS Text, MMS,or PIN. When viewing your directions using BlackBerry Maps, just hit the Menu Key and choose View On Map. When hitting the Menu Key again it will give you quite a few options. This is useful for sending your location or directions to someone with a BlackBerry that has BlackBerry Maps. They can pull the directions or your location up on their device. When sending directions to an Email address for those that wish to pull them up on a PC, they'll be provided a link and Step by Step directions. They will not be able to really use the link, so you can delete it when Emailing it to them.
    So the next time someone calls and says "how do I get to your house?". You can create driving directions from their address to yours. Send those directions as a MMS or Email (you can use SMS, only if the directions are less than 160 characters), and then send it to them. Remember to keep the link in the message if they have a phone with BlackBerry Maps, or remove the link for those that do not. They'll just have the Step by Step directions only.
    Even though Google Maps is a great application, it lacks those features. That's why I still have both applications installed.

whoa! great info!
    02-08-09 04:42 PM
    I have no use for it -- always use Google Maps. I hid it rather than the uninstall.
    02-08-09 04:53 PM
    i deleted it and got googlemaps. verizon disabled the gps function when i got it so there was no reason to keep it around. besides, it takes up too much space.
    02-08-09 05:49 PM
    Does anyone know if there is an application that will give you steo by step driving directions much like a tom tom gps system.
    Thanks
    12-22-09 10:05 AM
    Check out the GPS subforum. There are a number of apps but most now cost money.

12-22-09 12:50 PM
    I use both goog and bb maps. google is often slower for me but more detailed.
    12-22-09 04:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD