It seems I get different battery life with different themes, also, I'll put a list of the apps I have on my phone below. I'd like to know which of those actually draining life without being used because they push or what not.

Themes I use -
    HD OSXlike 9000 (best of the three)
    HD se7en bold (just started using it)
    iVista 2 (seems to KILL life)

Apps I use-
    beejive (I'm signed on all day, so that's a clear drainer)
    Facebook (not sure how that effects battery)
    Weathereye(I'm sure it eats a bit)
    etrade (doesn't push, you have to go on it and sign it to use it, so I doubt it does much if I'm not on it)
    Opera (clearly just sits there when I'm not on it)
    ESPN (clearly just sits there when I'm not on it)
    BB app world
    Bloomberg
    crackberry app store
    google maps
    flickr
    quick launch

So my question is, which of these are causing battery drain, and which seem to be the most efficient for others, I guess is my question.
    04-09-09 07:56 PM
    Are you assuming they are running in this case?

Most of them aren't doing anything unless you run it and don't close it (Bloomberg, Flickr, Appworld, eTrade)
    04-09-09 07:58 PM
    I close apps when I don't use them, I don't just exit.
    04-09-09 07:59 PM
    Seems like you pretty much pinpointed the problems already.
    04-09-09 08:00 PM
    I guess so.
    04-09-09 08:59 PM
    i think weather eye use a bit too, google maps if you join the latitude (coz it will updating your position). this one maybe is not related to your question but signal strength is one of major thing me think.
    04-10-09 02:05 AM
    if you're on 3g, beejive will sap your battery like no other. i could probably get like 6 hours of use total if beejive were always running.
    04-10-09 02:38 AM
    beejive kills battery if you ahve a lot of contacts, cuz everytime someone signs on, off, changes their status or whatever, it sends a bit to your phone to let your phone know about the change. I have 350 contacts, so I use IM+ With push IM on. That way I don't get killed hehe. I also have beejive which I use for fast chats. hhehe...
    04-10-09 05:08 AM
    why themes drain your battery? I just don't get it!
    06-04-09 02:31 AM
    why themes drain your battery? I just don't get it!
    the processor needs to handle the more complex graphics involved with some themes more than others. the processor consumes power trying to fully render it. a simple, greyscale theme will use only a portion of the battery than a fully colorized, graphically oriented theme with all pretty shapes and colors.

in computing, anything more complex takes up more memory and taxes power accordingly.
    06-04-09 02:39 AM
    does anyone know if quicklaunch kills the battery?
    08-03-09 02:52 PM
    more involed the themes / apps are the more battery they need.
    08-03-09 05:51 PM
    does anyone know if quicklaunch kills the battery?
    Quicklauch acts like a bookmark really. Until you use it it sits there doing nothing and using no battery or cpu cycles.
    08-03-09 06:21 PM
    I have found that data-intensive applications, Google Maps for example, drain the batter. Some faster than others.

Apps that make the device work hard, will drain it faster than others.

Google Maps eats battery life for breakfast. On my device any how.

RIM has an an application resource monitor on App World. It monitors the devicebackground apps and will close it if it decides that its draining battery quickly, or taking up other resources. You can also configure an exception list.

Hope this helps

Good luck.
    12-04-12 03:16 AM
    (...) RIM has an an application resource monitor on App World. It monitors the devicebackground apps and will close it if it decides that its draining battery quickly, or taking up other resources. You can also configure an exception list.

Hope this helps

Good luck.
    I am sure it helps the OP, and the other participants of this thread...
    And BTW: I believe that three years ago, when the thread was started, resource monitor was not available in App World, nor even in RIM internal testing, nor even in their R&D treasure chest...
    12-04-12 10:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD