Is there a app that will show me what city is calling me like the iphone ? you know an app for number you dont have listed on your phone the number shows up and also what city its coming in from.
    01-10-09 07:16 PM
    i would buy that too.....
    01-10-09 07:17 PM
    As would I but if anything, until something like that is out, you'll have to look up the area code on google to get some idea of where the call is coming from.
    01-10-09 07:21 PM
    I would buy it too, had it on my Voyager, called City ID. Was a great program then I bought the Storm and I miss it.
    01-10-09 07:22 PM
    That would be great!
    01-10-09 07:25 PM
    That would be great!
    Be patient, the app store is coming.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-10-09 07:37 PM
    Berry-A-Code was the app I used on my 8830, but it doesn't work on the Storm...
    01-10-09 07:59 PM
    Berry A Code? Does that work in conjunction with caller ID?
    01-10-09 08:02 PM
    Everyone who releases one takes it down because of patents.The same reason berryacode is no longer made.
    This worked on the storm and was a nice alternative until he had to shutdown:
    http://bbapps.net/

Only other alternative is this with a hefty 4mb of memory needed:
    i,Call ManagerEx/US Edition: Pinpoint caller's locations on the Blackberry Maps and caller's area name on Phone screen.

only
    01-10-09 08:08 PM
    I have been looking for this too. I even contacted the guy at bbapps and he never responded to me. Shame all his wasted work
    01-10-09 09:39 PM
    Can someone tell me which patents are applicable here?

And it's a trivial thing to code, and shouldn't require anywhere near 4M, unless you are doing the phone book too!
    01-10-09 11:11 PM
    Actually I checked my data, for what I have so far, more data and up to date info always welcome is about 6M...
    01-10-09 11:57 PM
    +1 (which is all of the NANP) data is only 1.5M, and I'm guessing most people are only interested in calls from their own country. Still a little on the large side for my liking though for a mobile app, might have to prompt for country and then limit results to just that country.

If everyone was on 3G this would be fine of course since you can do data and voice at the same time, but well everyone isn't
    01-11-09 02:15 AM
    I know Verizon has it. It is called CityID, but I'm not sure if it is out for the storm.
    01-11-09 02:24 AM
    I know Verizon has it. It is called CityID, but I'm not sure if it is out for the storm.
    And interestingly enough, is the person who coded the other app, was contacted by Cequint, which is the same company who puts out CityID for Verizon and a few other wireless companies.

I wish I had a copy of that other app, before the guy was forced to take it down.
    01-11-09 05:34 AM
    I wish I had a copy of that other app, before the guy was forced to take it down.
    I wish I knew how he altered the call screen, the only part I'm stuck on really. :/
    01-11-09 07:10 AM
    Has anyone tried the i,Call manager yet?
    01-11-09 07:41 AM
    I wish I knew how he altered the call screen, the only part I'm stuck on really. :/
    Don't bother writing this app. You will be infringing on Cequint's patents and have to cease distributing it, just like everyone else before you who was written a similar app.

cequint - Google Patents

They also just recently bought this patent:

Caller ID equipment which displays ... - Google Patents
    Cequint - News
    01-11-09 08:47 AM
    If it is distributed for free, can you really get in trouble? I'm not sure how much leverage they have when you think about what the program is. That's like Aerize saying they own the patent to visual alerts or something. All he is doing is making a program that tells you what city the phone call is coming from, which is standard on a regular phone line right?
    01-11-09 09:02 AM
    Don't bother writing this app. You will be infringing on Cequint's patents and have to cease distributing it, just like everyone else before you who was written a similar app.
    Cept I'm not in the US and they can have a fun time trying to figure out if the Australian patent system covers software or not, which to the best of my knowledge doesn't. Oh and unlike the US system, it's usually looser pays the other sides fees which nicely deters a lot of frivolous lawsuits. Not to mention I wonder how this patent would fare if it was reviewed by the US patent office, seems awfully trivial to me, doesn't seem very innovinative, then of course they are squashing competition with their patent, which is complete abuse of the patent system, they are entitled to reasonable royalties if they did something worth paying for.
    Last edited by delta_foxtrot2; 01-11-09 at 09:27 AM.
    01-11-09 09:09 AM
    If it is distributed for free, can you really get in trouble? I'm not sure how much leverage they have when you think about what the program is. That's like Aerize saying they own the patent to visual alerts or something. All he is doing is making a program that tells you what city the phone call is coming from, which is standard on a regular phone line right?
    Assuming said patents even apply, in any case still stuck, but I have cleaned the data up a little to try and fit as much as possible in the smallest amount of space.
    01-11-09 09:12 AM
    Cept I'm not in the US and they can have a fun time trying to figure out if the Australian patent system covers software or not, which to the best of my knowledge doesn't. Oh and unlike the US system, it's usually looser pays the other sides fees which nicely deters a lot of frivolous lawsuits. Not to mention I wonder how this patent would fare if it was reviewed by the US patent office, seems awfully trivial to me, doesn't seem very innovinative, then of course they are squashing competition with their patent, which is complete abuse of the patent system, they are entitled to reasonable royalties if they did something worth paying for.
    If you're distributing your software to the U.S., which I assume you would, then the U.S. patent applies. It doesn't matter that you're based in or developed the software in Australia.

And I agree the patent doesn't seem particularly novel, but a lot of things that are patented aren't. It's just that no one is willing to cough up the money to stand up to them in court.

Cequint is a multi-million dollar company that has contracts with all the major carriers. So they can throw their weight around. All the other caller ID apps have been shut down.
    01-11-09 12:02 PM
    Wow, very interesting indeed
    01-11-09 03:19 PM
    If you're distributing your software to the U.S., which I assume you would, then the U.S. patent applies. It doesn't matter that you're based in or developed the software in Australia.
    See that's the thing, I'm not planning to distribute anything, people would have to import it. At which point you get into all sorts of other weird and wonderful laws.

Although I doubt the purpose of patents was anti-competitive tactics, in which case I wonder how the FTC would go for a complaint about such tactics.

This could go on for a while since any complaints filed would have to go through their respective governments and/or the jurisdiction they're occurring in so on and so forth.

In any case, as I keep saying, this is pointless speculation because I'm stuck still trying to display the info, so nothing is being infringed
    Last edited by delta_foxtrot2; 01-11-09 at 07:29 PM.
    01-11-09 06:44 PM
    Ummm this isn't so hypothetical any more, hope to have a release soon (few loose ends I'm tidying up), it will load it's database from a csv file on the system memory, what this means is anyone will be able to load any data set.
    01-12-09 06:12 AM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD