I have a bold 9700 and no data plan but I am using wifi. I had a 9000 prior to that and I was able to browse the internet using wifi.

I have tried to install the engadget app and opera mini app via micro-sd but with no luck.

It just seems kind of stupid to have wifi but need a data plan. I hope that's not the case.

I even unlocked my phone hoping that might fix the issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by g3dezien; 02-03-10 at 08:34 PM.
    02-03-10 08:29 PM
    You can use also Desktop Manager. I've used that in the past to install games and certain applications on my 8320
    02-03-10 08:45 PM
    but most of the apps ( if they need the net) wouldn't work over WiFi
    02-04-10 12:29 AM
    most of the apps wouldn't work over the WiFi though
    02-04-10 12:36 AM
    That's like asking if you can drive a car without buying gas for it. Why would you ever own a smartphone without a data plan?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-04-10 12:42 AM
    Strange, maybe it's a carrier difference... I'm listening to Pandora radio while chatting on AIM while typing this reply, all on wifi and no data plan. Installed all my apps straight from the web, no memory card or pc. I use T-mobile. Everything from Google Maps to Pyont work great.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-04-10 02:38 AM
    I have tried to install the engadget app and opera mini app via micro-sd but with no luck.
    I don't think you can install apps to a micro-sd; they have to go to device memory.

I've had no problems installing apps over wifi when my wifi connection is working (kinda flaky for me).
    02-04-10 09:37 AM
    Owning a smart phone without a data plan is pointless. I think most people who do this just want to look cool. Every phone has a calendar so saying you use a smart phone for something like that doesn't cut it.
    02-04-10 11:13 AM
    You can with a program called OTA Downloader: Blackberry OTA downloader | download free OTA themes to your desktop

with this program you copy and paste the OTA link for a theme/program whatever and it'll start downloading it to your PC

then you can put the jad/cod files onto a memory card
    after doing so, go to your media folder and hit the BB button and select explore and select the jad file that u placed to start installing
    02-04-10 11:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD