I'm trying to help my friend who has a curve 8300 and his thing didn't come with AIM or the browser. He doesn't have the data plan anyway but he uses text messaging a lot because of that(not having AIM come with it) so he has the unlimited messaging plan for $15 a month with t-mobile. Is there an AIM app that uses messaging that I can download and install on his BB Curve? Thanks a lot guys, I've recieved a lot of help here before too when I was setting up my bro's BB curve so might as well come back right lolz.
    03-27-09 09:36 AM
    There used to be, I dont think so now..
    03-27-09 09:37 AM
    You could forward messages from AIM to your phone.

IM Forwarding

You'll get your IM's as a text and you can reply as a text.
    The only problem is you don't really get a buddy list.
    03-27-09 09:39 AM
    Correct, all IM apps use data now...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-27-09 09:39 AM
    Oh ok thanks I'll tell him about that now then, he's prolly gonna have to get the unlimited data plan for AIM and the browser.
    03-27-09 09:41 AM
    Tmobile has the cheapest blackberry data plan
    03-27-09 09:43 AM
    Spotty reception though, you get what you pay for...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-27-09 09:45 AM
    It wasnt spotty when I had it, I really liked them.
    03-27-09 09:46 AM
    IF you want to use AOL for your IM. You can setup to have all messages forwarded to your cellphone as an SMS text when you are not logged into their application (either on PC or from Phone). I have this setup on my account, and it works great. You can set it up via your PC client App. It sends a "test" message to your cellphone, and then you are good to go. It is nice to not have to log in, because I am in and out of coverage most of the day, if someone needs to get ahold of me from work, they just AIM me and when I get back into coverage I get the message.

Also I remember that AOL and TMo used to have a way to "sign in" via SMS. I believe you send an SMS using the following syntax, but not sure if it is still working

send to # / use / syntax

4646 / sign in / username<space>password
    4647 / sign out / <No text>
    4650 / buddy list / <no text>
    4654 / send message / buddyAIMscreenname:<space>message
    4648 / add buddy / buddyAIMscreenname
    4649 / remove buddy / buddyAIMscreenname

Also, Gmail has a way to "Chat" via SMS. Check it out at gmail "What's new" website.

(Sorry Can't post links yet, I'm still a crackberry Noob but do a google search on chat sms google and it is one of the first links that pop up)

It is in Beta now (e.g. Google Labs) but he could try that too.

EDIT: Just saw OP wanted an APP to do this, I haven't heard of an APP to do this, but if he just wants talk to people on AIM via SMS, it is possible.
    Last edited by dtubbs06; 03-27-09 at 10:17 AM. Reason: didn't see OP wanted an APP
    03-27-09 10:04 AM
    ^the only thing is you can't really access ur buddy list like that right
    03-27-09 10:18 AM
    The "sign in" stuff still works, sending a message to 4650 AFTER signing in, will send you a list of your buddies that are online right now. Otherwise, you are correct, but using the other options, all of your buddies will see you "On Mobile" as your status (little cellphone next to buddy icon) and can send you a message which you can reply to.
    03-27-09 10:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD