My company has taken away my texting capabilities to cut costs . I'm not as smart as my smartphone but there must be a way that I can utilize the data plan to send and recieve messages to my friends who don't have smartphones. I'm heartbroken cuz this whole lack of texting is crampin my style! Killing my social life with the ladies! Any advice on this matter would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    07-26-09 10:07 PM
    You can send emails to their text/sms address. It's different depending on the carrier. You just need to make sure you keep the message under 170 characters as it will not break up the message as some phone will do for sms.

ie if you sent an email to [email protected] it will be recieved as an sms on a verizon phone.
    07-26-09 11:42 PM
    you can sign up for google voice.
    07-27-09 12:02 AM
    go to http://google.com/voice/ and request an invite with your google account. i am using it and its been 100% free :P
    07-27-09 02:23 AM
    Get your own plan?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-27-09 04:56 PM
    Get a prepaid sim and switch to gsm and send texts u can only use what u pay for then

07-27-09 07:53 PM
    Get a prepaid sim and switch to gsm and send texts u can only use what u pay for then

This means he would have to unlock his phone and get a whole new service. It sounds like a kid who is living off of his parents' cellular plan. I don't mean that offensively, but that's how I perceive the op's post.

I would suggest you go to them and ask to pay the difference for the texting. Verizon's unlimited texting plan is around $20 I believe. You could suggest they just take it straight out of your allowance (again, no offense). This will hopefully show them that you're ready to take on some responsibility for yourself and it becomes a win/win situation.

Otherwise, you can go out, get your own wireless plan, and get your own cellular phone. This option is a bit more pricey. I don't recommend this option.

OR you can just deal with not having SMS/MMS.
    07-27-09 08:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD