Just picked up a bold for a family member who wants to tether.
    They are not the most technically savy person, so ill be doing all the setup and trouble shooting.

My question is, as im new to tethering myself. How do i set up the berry to tether? Is it very difficult? Is there any issues that could arise after the initial setup?

Would tetherberry be my best option?
    07-24-09 02:36 PM
    Tetherberry is brutally EASY...the other options while viable are for more extensive to set up.
    07-24-09 03:18 PM
    i can set it up no problem....just after the fact is there any matinance that needs to be done?
    07-24-09 03:27 PM
    I just followed the instructions on the internet:

[User] HOWTO: Use BlackBerry As Modem For Laptop! - BlackBerryForums.com : Your Number One BlackBerry Community

Just be careful if this Pearl is on Rogers. There are many posting that Rogers will change how tethering works. You will need a data plan that has at least 1GB of data. See here.
    07-24-09 06:29 PM
    As for maintenance.

If you tether your BBB via bluetooth, what has happened to me was, I often need to re-add BBB as a modem via phone and modem menu since for some reason the com port for BBB always gets "broken" after sometime.

But if you tether via USB cable then it's all good. Just that your BBB will electrocute you if your house has no grounding for electricity. That's what has happened to me :-).
    07-24-09 07:01 PM
    Will they be tethering on a mac or PC?
    07-24-09 07:09 PM
    tetherberry is definitely legit, as stated before, its BRUTALLY easy. i use it with my macbook, and it works flawlessly
    07-24-09 10:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD